L
LotusCarsLtd
Guest
I associate with two groups of friends consisting of my roommate friends and my Catholic friends. My relationship with the latter group is excellent as we are all practicing Catholics and have that common trait that drives our relationship. This is not the case with my roommate friends.
My roommate friends and I met our freshman year in college and are now 2nd semester seniors. We have been friends and roommates most of college and get along fairly well. But I am a serious practicing Catholic and the three of them are not (one is non-religious from a Lutheran background, the other is non-religious from a Catholic background, and the third is technically Catholic but doesn’t really seem to seriously practice the Faith). What really binds us together is everything else other than faith, especially music.
But lately I feel less comfortable around them but I don’t think they feel the same way about me. I think it might stem from my Faith as that is becoming increasingly more and more important to me while for them it is not (or so I would assume). I feel more comfortable around my Catholic friends except for a few minor things. And I feel more comfortable being around Catholics as my faith grows more and more. I actually find myself attending more group activities with Catholics as opposed to my roommate friends—I would easily attend a Catholic seminar or something but really wouldn’t be as interested in going to a concert or movie with my roommate friends. What also bothers me is that I find that in certain situations being with my roommate friends doesn’t bring the best out of me—I might find myself getting caught in bad jokes, inappropriate discussions, etc. or saying things or acting-out in a strange manner.
So I find myself wondering if I truly want to be friends with them or not anymore. They are good people and we get along mostly, but since my Faith is becoming more important to me and they follow no faith I find myself becoming more distant towards them. I also feel like the outsider in this group of friends sometimes. The sticking point, though, is that all of us are good friends and have an otherwise strong bond that wouldn’t be easily severed if things ever came to that. And again they are good people and we get along 80-90% of the time. But nonetheless I still feel more uncomfortable around them.
What do people think?
My roommate friends and I met our freshman year in college and are now 2nd semester seniors. We have been friends and roommates most of college and get along fairly well. But I am a serious practicing Catholic and the three of them are not (one is non-religious from a Lutheran background, the other is non-religious from a Catholic background, and the third is technically Catholic but doesn’t really seem to seriously practice the Faith). What really binds us together is everything else other than faith, especially music.
But lately I feel less comfortable around them but I don’t think they feel the same way about me. I think it might stem from my Faith as that is becoming increasingly more and more important to me while for them it is not (or so I would assume). I feel more comfortable around my Catholic friends except for a few minor things. And I feel more comfortable being around Catholics as my faith grows more and more. I actually find myself attending more group activities with Catholics as opposed to my roommate friends—I would easily attend a Catholic seminar or something but really wouldn’t be as interested in going to a concert or movie with my roommate friends. What also bothers me is that I find that in certain situations being with my roommate friends doesn’t bring the best out of me—I might find myself getting caught in bad jokes, inappropriate discussions, etc. or saying things or acting-out in a strange manner.
So I find myself wondering if I truly want to be friends with them or not anymore. They are good people and we get along mostly, but since my Faith is becoming more important to me and they follow no faith I find myself becoming more distant towards them. I also feel like the outsider in this group of friends sometimes. The sticking point, though, is that all of us are good friends and have an otherwise strong bond that wouldn’t be easily severed if things ever came to that. And again they are good people and we get along 80-90% of the time. But nonetheless I still feel more uncomfortable around them.
What do people think?