Guardian Angel Name Question

• Thread starter Thread starter TheTruth0723
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTruth0723

How do you truly find out your Guardian Angel’s name (besides Heaven of course)? Thanks in advance.

in 1st grade parochial school a million years ago we were taught to pray to our angels and simply ask their name. mine’s name is Joan, and I was so firmly convinced I was right I took it for my confirmation name. there is another guardian angel thread a while back where somebody said it is wrong and presumptuous to “guess” your angel’s name, so I guess I was taught wrong. But I still have trouble imagining a relationship with my angel if I can’t call her (him, it) by name.

I found mine out by asking. Granted, I wasn’t sure if I should have done that :o, so I asked a friend who has been Catholic longer then I’ve been alive. According to him, asking is a-otay.

My angel’s name is Adam, for what it’s worth. :cool:

So it’s not a sin to ask? I will ask the name of mine later today; until then, I call him Maurice (my Confirmation name).

Why should it be a sin to ask your angel’s name any more so than it would be a sin to ask the name of any person you wished to know better? Neither is it sinful to give your angel any name that helps you relate better to him, regardless as to whether that is your angel’s “real” name, or even whether angels generally use names for themselves in the same manner as we do. I refer to my angel as Joseph, which besides being my own name is the name of the Guardian of the Holy Family, so is certainly an appropriate name for a guardian angel.

Would it be a problem if I were to call my Angel, “Jesus?”

i.e. “Jesus help me!” … “Oh Jesus!” … “Save me Jesus!!!”

eh?

just kidding. 😛

I call my angel, “Angel.” Whenever I need somebody in a room to look away or drop something–or if I need a disraction or diversion of somesort, or if I want to be unseen temporarily–I whisper, “Angel!” Sometimes I am specific in my requst. Other times, I simply request my Holy Angel’s attention.

Call me crazy, but it always works. 🙂

I wondered what my angels name was, and used to just call him “Angel”. Then one day I asked him how I would know his name, to let me know in some way. A couple of weeks later I got the idea of calling him “Cephas” or “Peter” - inspiration from the Gospel story where Jesus names Peter. My angel is my “rock” of strength, so this is a good name for him 🙂 I don’t think he minds me calling him this, even if it’s not his ‘real’ name!!!

I am new at this. Do each of us have our own angel? Do any of you see signs they are there? Do they go everywhere you do? I want to know more about angels. I was not thought much about them in the church I was brought up in. What was teached about angels at that church was that an angel appeared to Mary to tell her about Jesus coming, and stories like that. We were never told we had guardian angel’s. That is really comforting to know.

Dawn

I’ve been told that if you go to sleep on the vigil of the feast of the guardian angels, asking your guardian angel to reveal himself to you then he will do so in your dreams. Don’t know if that has any basis in Church tradition, but it sounds very sweet.

Yes, asking can work. I asked a few years ago, and heard “Stephen” as if spoken inside my head. I wasn’t thinking about anybody by this name, and it’s not my confirmation name.

I don’t think about enlisting his aid as often as I should, but I do ask him to bring encouragement to my kids’ angels. Sts Pio and John Bosco used to send their GAs on erands like this.

40.png
SUNRISEDAWN:
What is a confirmation name?
It is traditional in the Catholic faith to take on a new (additional) name when we receive the sacrament of confirmation. The Bishop will ask what name we choose, and then call us by that name as he anoints us. Choice is usually based on a saint or family member we admire. Names like “Moon-unit” are not recommended.😛

Hope this helps.
Jim

In addition, the Confirmation name helps us to take on new identities as witnesses of Jesus Christ.

What do I call my guardian angel…

“You hooooo”

Often I seek the comfort of what I call “Mary’s Mantle” wich is a pretend thing I have that I pretend at night Mary takes off her mantle and drapes it around my shoulders.

Angel names revealed in the Bible were not just a meaningless sequence of sounds; they had meaning to whoever heard them expressed in Hebrew. Michael (“Mee-kha-'el”) = “Who is like God?” Rapha’el = “God has healed.” Gabriel (“Gah-vree-'el”) = “Hero of God.” I’m sorry, but I have to have some doubt about people who claim that their angels’ names are ordinary people-names, just as I doubt the LDS claim based on the intervention of an angel named Moroni (what does that mean, and in what language?).

I just call mine “Angel.” Like, f’r–instance when it’s time to rounds where I work, “C’mon, Angel, let’s go take another look at the boat factory.”

DaveBj

40.png
DaveBj:
Angel names revealed in the Bible were not just a meaningless sequence of sounds; they had meaning to whoever heard them expressed in Hebrew. Michael (“Mee-kha-'el”) = “Who is like God?” Rapha’el = “God has healed.” Gabriel (“Gah-vree-'el”) = “Hero of God.” I’m sorry, but I have to have some doubt about people who claim that their angels’ names are ordinary people-names, just as I doubt the LDS claim based on the intervention of an angel named Moroni (what does that mean, and in what language?).

I just call mine “Angel.” Like, f’r–instance when it’s time to rounds where I work, “C’mon, Angel, let’s go take another look at the boat factory.”

DaveBj
Dave,
Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel are also used as people names. 😃
David = “Loved One”,

But I agree on that Moroni thing… :confused:

Peace,
James the much lesser.

40.png
Meggie:
What do I call my guardian angel…

** “You hooooo”**

Often I seek the comfort of what I call “Mary’s Mantle” wich is a pretend thing I have that I pretend at night Mary takes off her mantle and drapes it around my shoulders.
:rotfl:

Anyway, I don’t know, but when I finished my bedtime prayers last night (asking for my angel’s name at the end), I suddenly got the name Joseph in my head. Now, I don’t know if it’s pronounced in a funky way like Yu-sleff, but I think this is his name.

Edit: Pronounced “Yo-seph,” and it means “he will add.”

So to know your Gaurdian angel’s name you just ask. I get that part. But how do you know what their name is?

I’ve asked, but haven’t gotten an answer so far- maybe I wasn’t listening close enough though. 😉

I guess you will just *know. *Mine was instant, but I have no idea if this is true with others.

In a moment of extreme sorrow and distress I prayed to my angel and felt such comfort I was sure she was giving me a hug. At that moment I asked her name and it was Susan. I have never been close to any Susans, have never even known any. It is odd though, that a stuffed rabbit I was given as a child for Easter I had named Susie Barbara. I still have that rabbit all these years later, and now I think I know where her name came from.
As to how you know the name, you just do. It’s as iff, for me anyway, I just suddenly had knowledge I didn’t have before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back