Guardian Angel Name Question

• Thread starter Thread starter TheTruth0723
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please see this :

I used to have a name for my angel, but after I read this I just started calling him “My dearest angel”.
Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel are also used as people names
Yes, but we must understand that people were named after angels, not the other way around…

What if you got a “revelation” that your angels name is “Fido” or “Curley”, or “Larry” or “Moe”.

I prefer to wait until I see him and he will reveal his true name to me. He is my guardian Angel so I dont think he will be upset if I just call him “My Loving Guardian Angel”. I would hate to go through life calling him Jake when his name would be something else.
Here is a prayer from St. Gertrude. Notice no special name. No need for one… Dear Angel at my side, my good and loyal friend, you have been with me since the moment I was born. You are my own personal guardian, given me by God as my guide and protector, and you will stay with me till I die.

He who created you and me gave me to you as your particular charge. You assisted in great joy at my baptism, when I became part of the Mystical Body of Christ, and was made a member of the household of God and an heir of heaven. You saw the dangers that beset my path, and, if I sinned, it was in spite of you.

You envied me when Christ came to me in Holy Communion. Even though you probably were there among the angels that adored Him the night that He was born, you have not been able to receive Him as I can. O, help me to appreciate these gifts! Help me to realize, as you do, with every fiber of my being, that to serve Christ is to be a King! Help me steadfastly to avoid evil and do good and always guard my soul from sin.

Protect me as well from physical evils as I go about my daily work. You will be with me all my life, and at the hour of my death. Help me to face death bravely, patiently, with great love of God, knowing that it is only through death that I can come to Him in heaven! Then, come with me to my Judge, and when the hour of my salvation comes, take me home to my Father, God. Amen

and another - no need for a special name. Yet very beautiful prayers.
O Angel of God, my blessed protector, to whose care I have been committed by my Creator from the moment of my birth, unite with me in thanking the Almighty for having given me a friend, and instructor, an advocate, and a guardian in thee.

As a child, my sisters and some of my cousins told me that they had prayed to their Guardian Angels to know a name and some had received an answer. I too began to pray to know my Guardian Angel’s name. It took many months, and I had no “response” One morning on the way to Mass a name popped into my head that as a child I would never have thought of–and I instantly knew that this was my Guardian Angel’s name–Gertrude. Knowing a name really helped me develop a better relationship with my Guardian Angel. As an adult I don’t use the name as often, but this thread has taken me back a bit.

On a side note, if you have children, have you ever noticed as infants that they stare up at “nothing” and smile? My husband and I always say that they are smiling at their Guardian Angel…

40.png
TobyLue:
Hi Toby,
I just checked out this site…very interesting. Fr. John Horgan, who is doing a series about Angels on EWTN once was interviewed by Fr. Mitch a few years ago and he also said that it wasn’t a good idea to name your Guardian Angel.

I have more than one angel around me and was “told” the name of one when I asked. It just came into my mind. I asked this “in Christ’s Name,” however. I have felt my angels around me and have seen them on two occasions. First time I was afraid and said so and said “Be gone,” and they left. So I said, “If you are of Christ, please come back,” and they did. Once an angel whispered in my ear upon my awakening. I believe God has given us our angels not only as His messengers, but to comfort and love us.

40.png
Annunciata:
Hi Toby,
I just checked out this site…very interesting. Fr. John Horgan, who is doing a series about Angels on EWTN once was interviewed by Fr. Mitch a few years ago and he also said that it wasn’t a good idea to name your Guardian Angel.
Here is the info in case anyone cares to hear what he says about it.

Fr. John Horgan aired 5/5/04 the order code from EWTN’s Catalouge - Videos-“LIVE” w/ Fr. Mitch Pacwa is MPV85 the video orMPC85 the cassette.

40.png
ames61:
I’ve been told that if you go to sleep on the vigil of the feast of the guardian angels, asking your guardian angel to reveal himself to you then he will do so in your dreams. Don’t know if that has any basis in Church tradition, but it sounds very sweet.
But then we’l have to wait until October to find out.

Mine won’t tell me, so I just call him Ted.

He doesn’t seem tomind much, I think it’s starting to grow on him. Or it could be that I just keep him so busy he doesn’t have time to complain.

An angel’s name is very VERY personal matter for the angel. It was given to them by no less than Almighty God Himself and it is not something trivial they will bandy around to whoever asks. I know a couple of priests who know their guardian angel’s names but interestingly, both had to promise to keep it secret and are not remotely tempted to share it with anybody. For at least one of them, it took a very long wait before the angel aquiesced.

It is worth noting also that in exorcisms, the demon is on the way to be defeated when it is forced to give its name (after much struggle), after that it’s all downhill.
The power of a name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back