This is an addendum to my previous post.
A couple of the posters who responded mentioned that the Church does occasionally acknowledge that angelic intervention, or religious experiences, are possible.
This story does not directly pertain to a “Guardian Angel,” yet I think it is similar to the sorts of protections God offers us.
About six months ago, I began having regular dreams about Jacob, son of Isaac and Rebecca. I never had much of an education in the Old Testament, in my Catholic School education, so I actually had to look up Jacob online to read about him, as I felt I remembered very little about who he actually was.
In the dreams, Jacob has shown me over and over again that there are multiple moments in a person’s life where he may feel he is in danger, but he is receiving direct guidance and protection from God and His Divine Helpers.
In the dreams, I’ll be in a dangerous situation – like the little children playing on the rickety bridge, on the prayer card I mentioned in my last post. I am frightened of heights, so frequently I’ll be standing atop a tall cliff, frightened I may soon fall. In each dream, right when I feel I am in a precarious position and will certainly soon fall off, Jacob appears, smiling at me in a quiet, knowing way, and he says, “Child, there are moments in life where no danger can befall you. In those moments, know I am there.”
It’s hard to explain how I even knew it was Jacob – as I mentioned, I didn’t know who Jacob was, prior to the dreams. I simply woke up knowing that the figure was Jacob.
I did search his name online, and read extensively about his life and times. I really and truly can’t explain why Jacob would have appeared to me, and yet I do feel certain it was not “just a dream,” but a comforting message from one of God’s Helpers.
At the times the dream began, I was spending hours a day in prayer, on behalf of a dear friend of mine who’s health is quite bad, and also on behalf of the Gulf of Mexico, as the oil spill has frightened me terribly. It was right during a time where I was reaching out to God the most, and when I was feeling the most upset and anxious. The dreams comforted me tremendously, and really went a long way in making me feel that “You are not alone.”
I don’t know whether Church doctrine would feel these dreams ought not to be viewed as I have viewed them; I do believe that figures in the Bible are said to have had dreams such as the one I described. I believe each one of us, even in today’s modern world, can have such experiences–that not only ancient Biblical folks can be touched by God’s hand. To my mind, occasionally it may occur that a person of faith is suffering terribly in pondering the suffering of others, and perhaps that is why I dreamed of Jacob – I was in need of comfort.
I like to believe your friend has been similarly touched by God’s Hand, and I shall remember him and his loved ones in my prayers.
Thanks and peace to each one of you.