Guitar Music in Mass

• Thread starter Thread starter aj830
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
DavidJoseph:
Is it even possible to play a bass guitar in a classical style?
Ah, it seems I got distracted reading down the post and forgot he played the bass guitar :o … I’m sure it can (I can play my steel string in a classical style) but it’s probably not as easy and it wouldn’t sound as nice.

If guitar was good enough to be played at Mass for Fr. Joseph Mohr at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve in 1818 in St. Nicholas Church in Oberndorf, Austria, it should be good enough for today’s liturgies. Read on:

catholicherald.com/saunders/98ws/ws981224.htm

While I am a church organist and pianist, I see nothing whatsoever wrong with guitar playing at Mass as long as it’s reverent and is in keeping with what is going on in the liturgy, as all music should be. Music comes out of the people…we worship as we live. We are supposed to praise God with joyful music at Mass. IMO, any instrument can be used at Mass.

I say play on!

Who decreed that the only legitimate instrument in a mass is the organ??? I played in a guitar group for mass for years, mainly because we don’t have an organist for all the services. Just because the music is coming from a guitar (or harp or electronic keyboard or whatever) doesn’t mean that the music is irreverant or inappropriate. I get really tired of hearing from “old fogies” who think if things aren’t done the way “they” think they should be, then they’re automatically wrong! They seem to associate guitars with the Protestant services with people waving their hands all over the place, where the music is used as entertainment. Music is a ministry, an aid for people to enter into the mystery of the mass more deeply. As long as the music is performed reverently, it shouldn’t matter what it’s performed on.

Excuse me please, I have to go get my goat back.😉

“Sing to the Lord a new song!” Ps.96:1

40.png
DavidJoseph:
It says to praise the Lord with that, but that passage doesn’t say it’s ok to use such instruments during the Mass.
I don’t see any passage in the Bible saying it’s okay to use the pipe organ or Gregorian chant at Mass either. And your comments on “perfume” leave me wondering if you even think it possible that God can be praised with the strings of a bass guitar in any situation.

Now, I recognize that there is something grand about a fabulous pipe organ played so well that it seems the very walls of the church are singing the praises of God, but rarely have I had such experiences with organ at Mass. Just because it’s organ music or Gregorian chant, doesn’t mean music neccessarily lifts the heart and mind to God. Rather, I find poorly performed choir or cantor music with organ leaves me longing for the return of Jesus, when He will perfect all things–including bad music.

To the original poster: as you can see, music at Mass stirs all kinds of oppinions. If you do play your guitar at Mass, some will love it and some will hate it. My parish plays almost exclusively organ music, with musicians and singers of varying levels of talent. If played well and reverently, I would welcome hearing your guitar at Mass.

Paul VI, in Sacrosanctum Concilium, says this about the use of Gregorian chant:
“The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as specifically suited to the Roman liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given pride of place in liturgical services.” (SC 116)
In regards to the use of the pipe organ:
“In the Latin Church the pipe organ is to be held in high esteem, for it is the traditional musical instrument which adds a wonderful splendor to the Church’s ceremonies and powerfully lifts up man’s mind to God and to higher things.” (SC 120)
In regards to sacred music in general:
“Therefore, sacred music is to be considered the more holy in proportion as it is more closely connected with the liturgical action, whether it adds delight to prayer, fosters unity of minds, or confers greater solemnity upon the sacred rites. But the Church approves of all forms of true art having the needed qualities, and admits them into divine worship.” (SC 112)
In regards to the nobility of liturgical worship as it relates to sacred music:
“Liturgical worship is given a more noble form when the divine offices are celebrated solemnly in song, with the assistance of sacred ministers and the active participation of the people.” (SC 113)
In these selections and others in Sacrosanctum Concilium there is deliberately placed favour upon Gregorian chant (alone the ideal), and the pipe organ. Whether you’re an “old fogey” or a 23 yo student who regularly attends praise and worship events and listens to Christian rock music (hi 👋 ), this has the same implications. There is an ideal, and insofar as we are able, we should strive for it.

Regardless of whether you wish to play the guitar at Mass or not, the instrument is common for many other genres of music, not primarily for sacred music. This is not to say that a guitar cannot be conducive to prayer, foster unity of mind, and increase the solemnity of the celebration, but it is more difficult to do so with a guitar than with Gregorian chant or the pipe organ. Discernment must be made between vulgar and sacred music. There is nothing wrong with vulgar music outside of the Mass, but in the celebration, sacred music should reign.

Investigate the use of music in the liturgy. It is good to have discussion on it, as it is an area of great contention. A piece of music can induce prayer, or stifle it. There is much potential for it in the liturgy both ways, so we should be careful.

God bless,

Agricola

Also from Sacrosanctum Concilium (emphasis mine):
119. In certain parts of the world, especially mission lands, there are peoples who have their own musical traditions, and these play a great part in their religious and social life. For this reason due importance is to be attached to their music, and a suitable place is to be given to it, not only in forming their attitude toward religion, but also in adapting worship to their native genius, as indicated in Art. 39 and 40.
Therefore, when missionaries are being given training in music, every effort should be made to see that they become competent in promoting the traditional music of these peoples, both in schools and in sacred services, as far as may be practicable.

After years of poor catechesis and all the other things we’ve been through, I believe the Catholic Church in America falls into this category. Many American Catholics are quite attached to guitar music at Mass. Trying to force exclusive use of chant and pipe organ frustrates many. Other churches sometimes recruit poorly catechised Catholics by offering contemporary music that inspires and appeals to them.

In regards to what was posted from this same documents that pipe organ is to be “held in high esteem” and that Gregorian chant should be given “pride of place”, it didn’t say chant and organ must be used exclusively for liturgical music. Giving them primary place and high esteem, doesn’t mean all other styles must be excluded.

And as an aside, I did notice on the profiles that some who said “no” to guitar were not “old foggies”, but often a decade or so younger than I am. I hope you young folks can learn to tolerate the guitar music some of us slightly older Catholics enjoy, and indulge us in our musical preferences from time to time, (out of respect for you elders 😉 ). And if you really want to see chant and organ music flourish in liturgy, please learn to sing and play organ well so that the rest of us can better appreciate them. I have come to realize that it’s not so much that I dislike these styles, but that I rarely hear them done well.

40.png
seagal:
Who decreed that the only legitimate instrument in a mass is the organ??? I played in a guitar group for mass for years, mainly because we don’t have an organist for all the services. Just because the music is coming from a guitar (or harp or electronic keyboard or whatever) doesn’t mean that the music is irreverant or inappropriate. I get really tired of hearing from “old fogies” who think if things aren’t done the way “they” think they should be, then they’re automatically wrong! They seem to associate guitars with the Protestant services with people waving their hands all over the place, where the music is used as entertainment. Music is a ministry, an aid for people to enter into the mystery of the mass more deeply. As long as the music is performed reverently, it shouldn’t matter what it’s performed on.

The Church has said that Gregorian chant should be given pride of place and that the pipe organ should as well.

I cannot believe some of the negative responses I have read in this thread regarding guitar…whether its a bass or otherwise. Play to accompany the singing. Play from your heart to honor our Lord. Do not draw attention to yourself or your playing to the best of your ability. Thank you for sharing a gift given you by God.

The selections you mentioned are very appropriate.

I guess I need to apologize for my harshness in my earlier post - it was too early in the morning and before my coffee :o . And to clarify – the term “old fogies” referred to a person’s frame of mind rather than their age. I’ve seen this attitude expressed in other discussions around music in the Mass. Some people seem to be stuck pre-Vatican II in their tastes, which is certainly their perogative. But maybe they should learn to appreciate the wonderful music that has come along since then. I agree that the sound of a full choir accompanied by a talented organist is something out of this world. But I also enjoy the spirit of newer music. It seems more inviting to sing along too, and after all the congregation is supposed to participate in the singing. I’ve been to lots of masses where the choir seemed to be on “show” and no one wanted to “ruin” it by singing along, even on the responses. It was like being at a concert.

Sorry, I guess that was another rant. As another poster said, play your instrument, whatever it is. Some people will hate it and others will love it, but that’s the case no matter what you do.
Give praise with blasts upon the horn, praise him with harp and lyre. Give praise with tambourines and dance, praise him with flutes and strings. Give praise with crashing cymbals, praise him with sounding cymbals. Let everything that has breath give praise to the LORD! Hallelujah!

Ps.150:3-6

agrees wholeheartedly with Seagal

There is nothing intriscally wrong with the playing of guitar or any other instrument during the Mass.

They need, like all instruments in a sacred setting, to be played with consideration to the text, the part of the Mass, the congegration, etc. Any instrument can be abused, and any instrument can be used for the edification of the community.

Play bass for the choir, and play it so as to support the community’s prayer.

40.png
aj830:
Hello all. I was just offered to play Bass Guitar in Mass on January 22nd. This is very new for our parish and will be only the 2nd time Guitars and *Younger * Voices will be accompanying the usual Organ and Singers. I know they have received a few complaints about this music last time and I was just wondering if you alls opinion on whether I should accept or not. Some of the songs they are playing are You are Mine, Taste and See, and We are Many Parts.
I say accept, if it is to glorify the Lord it’s a good thing. I remember a Nun in Catholic School when I was a Boy who used to play the Guitar at Mass.

I enjoy contemporary music at Mass; wait a second-- I mean I would enjoy contemporary music at Mass except that, at my parish, the music is way too loud. “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord” has given the teen Mass music director the license to ‘crank it up to 11.’ Also, instead of the words of Holy Scripture during the responsorial psalm, we get some “Best of Bread” type pop song that, if we’re lucky that Sunday, has at least some reference to the psalm in the lectionary.

40.png
Michael038:
I say accept, if it is to glorify the Lord it’s a good thing. I remember a Nun in Catholic School when I was a Boy who used to play the Guitar at Mass.
see if you can find The Singing Nun on DVD or video, with Debbie Reynolds, it is notable for how the 60s faced this issue, and especially for the closing sequence, when she is a missionary in Africa, because the music is Missa Luba, a pre-1967 Mass setting approved for their churches. If you can find that album it is a real gift.

I have to agree with those against it. The Mass is the sacrifice of Calvary re-presented to the people. It is not a time to play guitar and other instruments. It should be kept to Gregorian Chant.

40.png
seagal:

As a guitar and keyboard playing member of a folk choir (who wishes she had time to take up bass), I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I’m trying to give you back your goat, but the forum tells me the bmp file is much too large.

40.png
puzzleannie:
see if you can find The Singing Nun on DVD or video, with Debbie Reynolds, it is notable for how the 60s faced this issue, and especially for the closing sequence, when she is a missionary in Africa, because the music is Missa Luba, a pre-1967 Mass setting approved for their churches. If you can find that album it is a real gift.
If that’s the one I’m thinking of, I’ve never heard it, but my first voice teacher spoke of hearing a recording of a Mass in Africa using indigenous drums. “Kyrie Eleison . . . boomba da boomba da boomba.” I know the onomatopoeic words look funny on the page, but he said it was beautiful, full of life and inspirational enough to bring lapsed churchgoers back to the Mass. A real gift, as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back