Hail Mary during Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter adstrinity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adstrinity

Guest
This has happened a few times here at the OF Mass in town. Different parts of the Mass, sometimes after the Our Father, sometimes after the, “I believe,” and most recently it was done this 12/8. I always thought this was inappropriate (not me personally, but, I thought that was NOT what the Mass was about), so, since it has happened a few times, is it…permissible at Mass?
 
I don’t think so with the possible caveat that, in the Prayer of the Faithful, where the priest obviously has the leeway both in his personal choice or writing of the specific prayers that are offered, and in his ‘summation’ at the end, if he chooses to incorporate the Hail Mary there, I think that could possibly be licit. Otherwise, after the Our Father especially :eek: I cannot imagine that it could be valid or licit unless there is some special circumstance that I’m not aware of.
 
The inclusion of a Hail Mary at inappropriate points (except possibly at the end of the Prayer of the Faithful, or at the beginning or end of sermons) might well be illicit, but it’s not one of the four things that would make a Mass invalid.
 
Most likely it was done on 12/8 because that was the feast of the Immaculate Conception. So it was done to honor Mary. Our priest usually leads us in that on Marian feast days.
 
Most likely it was done on 12/8 because that was the feast of the Immaculate Conception. So it was done to honor Mary. Our priest usually leads us in that on Marian feast days.
I agree the Hail Mary was done at mass where I live also on the feast. Mike
 
This has happened a few times here at the OF Mass in town. Different parts of the Mass, sometimes after the Our Father, sometimes after the, “I believe,” and most recently it was done this 12/8. I always thought this was inappropriate (not me personally, but, I thought that was NOT what the Mass was about), so, since it has happened a few times, is it…permissible at Mass?
It’s not appropriate, it’s not in the GIRM and so shouldn’t be regularly mandated.
 
Seems somewhere in my omnivorous reading, I picked up that it was not unheard of for a Priest to say 3 Aves privately between the Epistle and Gospel–in the EXTRAORDINARY FORM!
 
One parish I sometimes attend the priest has the congregation say a Hail Mary for the end of abortion right after the rest of the Prayers of the Faithful. It seemed odd the first time I witnessed it, but I think it is great, and the proper place in the mass to do such a thing.
 
I have never heard of the Hail Mary being prayed at a Sunday Mass, even on the any of Mary’s feastdays, and I’m in my 50s and in one of the most Catholic areas of the country (Chicago). I would venture to say that I see nothing wrong with it on one of Mary’s feastdays, but at a regular Mass? Eh… and again, it certainly wouldn’t make the Mass invalid or illicit in any way.
 
I am in the UK and the Hail Mary is said at every Mass, at the end of the prayer of the faithful. I have never been to a Mass in the UK when it is not said.

Lesley
 
I am in the UK and, like Leslee, have never been to a Mass that doesn’t incorporate the Hail Mary.
Why would it be illicit, may I ask? I can’t think of anything wrong with honouring Mary…we are Catholics, after all!
 
My Pastror always ends with a Hail Mary BUT he does it after the “the Mass is Ended, go in peace”.
 
I can’t remember way back in grade school ever hearing it, although we sang the chanted Ave Maria enough that I still know most of it.

On Dec 8, the choir director sang Ave Maria and I sang Hail Mary: Gentle Woman, but that’s about as close as we ever get.
 
I am in the UK and, like Leslee, have never been to a Mass that doesn’t incorporate the Hail Mary.
Why would it be illicit, may I ask? I can’t think of anything wrong with honouring Mary…we are Catholics, after all!
The Mass is a prayer itself. It’s directed to God. There’s no reason we should pray through anybody during Mass because the Mass is the greatest prayer ever. It’s just, the Mass is not about Mary. I think it would be a turnoff / freakout for any Protestant’s at the Mass, which, I could guess they’d be scrutinizing anyway, but, to have their suspiscions confirmed that we DO worship Mary and they can PROOVE it because we said the Hail Mary during our worship service, would do a disservice to all involved.

It’s one thing to ask Mary and all the Angels & Saints, or Mary, and a number of individual saints (Latin), in passing, but, to have Her prayer in a Mass is, I have always been taught, improper.

Many people are saying that it’s not horrible, so, I’m going to accept that.
 
We frequently incorporate the prayer as part of the Prayer of the Faithful or in song during one of the hymns. These areas are not dictated in the GIRM. As far as it misleading Protestants, Hail Mary is a Catholic prayer, second only to Our Father. It is Scriprutal. The fact that Protestant’s refuse to follow the biblical admonition to call Mary blessed should not mean we should avoid this prayer.
 
At all four of the “Stational” basilicas in Rome (St. Peter, St. Paul outside the Wall, Mary Maggiore, and Sts. John Lateran) after every Holy Mass the Salve Regina was prayed. This was between Pentecost and Trinity Sunday so it looks like they pray it year around.

I have prayed the Hail Mary at then end of the Prayers of the Faithful in many churches and cathedrals, including Cathedral Notre Dame de Paris (which is of course, dedicated to our Blessed Mother) with Cardinal Lustiger OBM presiding, and also Cardinal Vingt-Trois, and the Rector.

After the Pater Noster, what scriptural prayer would be more appropriate to be prayed during Holy Mass, particularly in the context of the Prayers of the Faithful, which do follow a formula but the celebrant does have ability to make choices, or at the end of Mass.

As to the 3 Aves between the Epistle and the Gospel in the Extraordinary Form (Mass of Pope John XXIII) I think that was more a timing isssue–to ensure adequate Sacred Silence between the readings (although most of us didn’t really understand the Epistle in Latin). When I was an altar boy an Ave Maria was the standard measure of time on our altar — “pause for one Ave Maria” etc.
I still use it for lay readers at Mass – for the same reason-to ensure proper measure of sacred silence after each reading.
btw an “Ave Maria” is a little bit longer than a “Hail Mary”…simply because all we have the English memorized better.
 
I don’t think so with the possible caveat that, in the Prayer of the Faithful, where the priest obviously has the leeway both in his personal choice or writing of the specific prayers that are offered, and in his ‘summation’ at the end, if he chooses to incorporate the Hail Mary there, I think that could possibly be licit. Otherwise, after the Our Father especially :eek: I cannot imagine that it could be valid or licit unless there is some special circumstance that I’m not aware of.
That’s how Fr. Mark does it at my home parish…Finishes the Prayer of the Faithful with “…hear us through Christ our Lord and through the intercession of Mary as we pray” then leads into it.

I think here it’s licit-the parishoners just LOVE it! (we’re the most conservative parish in town)
 
I wish they would bring back the prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel at the end of Mass.
The Leonine Prayers (which included the Prayer to St. Michael) were never part of the Mass.

They were appointed to be recited after the end of LOW masses, and not even all of them!

In any case, what’s to stop you from saying these prayers privately afterwards?

Their original purpose, btw, was about the temporal sovereignty of the Holy See, aka the “Roman Question”. This was resolved under Pius XI, who changed their intention to the “conversion of Russia”.

Now that Communism has fallen in the erstwhile Soviet Union, what do you think their intention shoud be?
 
The Leonine Prayers (which included the Prayer to St. Michael) were never part of the Mass.

They were appointed to be recited after the end of LOW masses, and not even all of them!

In any case, what’s to stop you from saying these prayers privately afterwards?

Their original purpose, btw, was about the temporal sovereignty of the Holy See, aka the “Roman Question”. This was resolved under Pius XI, who changed their intention to the “conversion of Russia”.

Now that Communism has fallen in the erstwhile Soviet Union, what do you think their intention shoud be?
Actually, the Prayer to St. Michael came about when Pope Leo was at Mass and saw a demonic vision. The prayer’s
was to beseech St. Michael to defend us against Lucifer. The
was, as you said, for the Temporal Sovereignty.
Furthermore, just because Communism has fallen doesn’t mean that Russia has been converted (when the Orthodox come back into full Communion with the Catholic Church, then I’ll finally agree that the sonversion of Russia has occured). But that’s neither here nor there.
Also remember that Instruction Inter Oecumenici, which came into effect on March 7, 1965, stated that
The Leonine Prayers are suppressed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top