Halal Meats To Be Offered In Some Michigan Schools

• Thread starter Thread starter Lilyofthevalley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lilyofthevalley

What about the seperation of church and state??? If people can have fits about Christmas trees etc. why aren’t folks upset about the schools providing Halal meats???
Earlier this month, press reports said that starting this fall, students in the Dearborn School District can buy halal food for lunch. Halal food, which is prepared according to Islamic standards, will give Muslim students the chance to follow their religion in the school cafeteria for the first time in the district.

The district will try to expand halal food choices in the fall and offer it to other Dearborn schools that show an interest in the option

islamonline.net/English/News/2001-07/18/article7.shtml

I think that if they do this, they should also be sure that something without meat is offered to students on Fridays (many Catholic families still observe this form of penance, including my own) and on other abstinence days. One thing I have noticed in the public schools in my area is that they seem to usually have fish on Fridays.

Cherub the big difference between merely serving fish on Fridays is, an elaborate prayer was not said over the fish.

40.png
Lilyofthevalley:
Cherub the big difference between merely serving fish on Fridays is, an elaborate prayer was not said over the fish.
You may not say grace in your house, we do in ours.

Wheres the difference?

For the second time this month, I find myself agreeing with Norwich. I don’t really see any problems with this. When I was in school, they did seem to offer fish on Fridays during Lent. If there was a substantial Jewish population, they’d probably offer Kosher food. Far more disturbing are schools that offer Muslim prayer rooms but ban the Boy Scouts or any expression of Christian piety.

1. In most schools students can opt not to eat meat on Fridays.
  2. I wouldn’t be surprised if in schools in the Brooklyn they don’t offer Kosher food.
This is a big deal about nothing IMHO

I see double standard here. No Christmas trees, etc or Nativity, but a certain blessed meat served at a public school.

I think it is great that public school are recognizing the influence of religion in everyday lives of their students. Meatless Fridays, Kosher meals, Halal foods - what a great taste of culture.

they do this, yet my district still INTENTIONALLY serves fish on all fridays BUT the lenten fridays to the elementary and middle school kids (HS has the same menu eery day but yu have the choice of 3 lunches)

In Wisconsin we always had fish on Fridays for our school’s hot lunch. The other Friday we had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. If a Protestant wanted to be nasty, he or she could have complained that they were being forced to not eat meat on Fridays. I never heard of such a complaint. In fact, in Wisconsin I think everyone goes out for a fish fry on Friday night. I don’t see a big deal about halal meat if they are paying for it.

40.png
bapcathluth:
I don’t see a big deal about halal meat if they are paying for it.
The “they” here being the school district and ultimately the tax payer. That’s who is paying for it. Having a non-meat choice on Fridays isn’t a fair comparison. Most dieticians suggest that we need to eat more fish and fish is usually in the “rotation” for menu items anyway. Meatless dishes don’t cost more than dishes with meat.

Specially prepared meat items invariable cost more. Unless someone has other information, I am guessing that these meals are costing the kids the same amount as other meals. Much of the cost of public school meals is paid for with tax money.

There is a conflict here when tax money is used to buy religiously prepared foods in order to cater to a specific religious component of the student population.

40.png
bapcathluth:
In Wisconsin we always had fish on Fridays for our school’s hot lunch. The other Friday we had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. If a Protestant wanted to be nasty, he or she could have complained that they were being forced to not eat meat on Fridays. I never heard of such a complaint. In fact, in Wisconsin I think everyone goes out for a fish fry on Friday night. I don’t see a big deal about halal meat if they are paying for it.

Do we really know that the taxpayer is paying the extra cost for halal meat? I don’t think that is a known fact. It could be that the kids are charged extra if the meat is in fact, more expensive.

40.png
bapcathluth:
I’ve noticed that in Wisconsin a lot of the protestants are “reformed” protestants (Lutherans, Episcopalians, Anglicans, etc…). These seem to be more tolerant of Catholic practices and even copy some of them (some Lutheran churches here in the Fox Cities had Ash Wednesday services and also abstain from meat on Fridays).

It would be the “fundamentalist” or “pentecostal” (note: for labeling purposes only, not pejorative) protestants who may complain about it. When I went to High School in TExas, the school got around the whole controversy by offering a salad bar every day with choice of turkey, ham, or tuna as your meat.

Cheers.

There is a conflict here when tax money is used to buy religiously prepared foods in order to cater to a specific religious component of the student population.​

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back