Halloween or NAHlloween

  • Thread starter Thread starter Average_Joe17
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it, these religious holidays have been taken over by the merchants. It’s a bit like the money changers in the Temple (e.g., John 2:13-16). If I could draw or paint worth beans, I would make a picture of Jesus whipping and scattering a bunch of fake Santas.
 
I’ve been raised and taught by my parents that participating in halloween is a sin. My local priest also makes the same statements.

My question is : is participating in halloween a sin itself?

(By participating, I mean dress up in a costume and all that stuff)
No. That is their opinion, and not the formal opinion of the Catholic Church. The USCCB or the Holy See would have to declare that it is sinful to trick or treat or something and they have not.

Now, I am just talking about normal Halloween stuff.

If you are having seances, sacrificing animals to idols or vandalizing property (which is something that unfortunately can happen more often on that night), then you are talking sins and you should re-think your Halloween agenda.

On the other hand, you could make an argument that trick or treating can lead to the sin of gluttony… 🤔
 
Last edited:
I’m not sure about cultural appropriation, but yes, most holidays have been hijacked by commercial interests. “Taking them back” doesn’t require any great public act of defiance or scoffing at Hallmark or “how other people do it.” We simply need to celebrate them in a meaningful way that pays some sort of homage to our faith.
 
I’m not sure about cultural appropriation, but yes, most holidays have been hijacked by commercial interests. “Taking them back” doesn’t require any great public act of defiance or scoffing at Hallmark or “how other people do it.” We simply need to celebrate them in a meaningful way that pays some sort of homage to our faith.
Yes, I agree. That’s also why I put “cultural appropriated” in quotes.
 
They have been “cultural appropriated” (to borrow a term from the secular, social justice warriors).
I’m going to use that with some of my SJW co-workers. “My Catholic culture isn’t your non-relgion-specific-winter-holiday door decoration.”
 
St. Patrick only became associated with booze because it falls in Lent and the Church lifted the restrictions for the Irish celebration of their patron Saint. The Irish in NYC, where the festivities were began by the Protestant Irishmen, went ‘a bit Irish’ and tried to achieve 39 days of boozing into 1.
St. Patrick wouldn’t be as well known otherwise…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top