Hand signs in Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkA16
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkA16

Guest
I do the Sign of the Cross in Mass. But there is another one that is done before reading the Gospel. What is this sign called? and what’s the history of it?
 
We make the sign of the cross with the thumb of our right hand on our forehead, lips, and heart while praying, “May the words of the Gospel be in my mind, upon my lips and within my heart.” It’s a prayer that we be attentive to the reading of the Gospel and responsive to its message.
 
Oh I see. Well I haven’t seen people do cross on their hearts since I don’t go watch people do the sign. But I did see people do the forehead and lips and the regular sign of the cross. Is that acceptable too?
 
The origin from here:

Isa 6:6: Then flew one of the seraphim to me, having in his hand a burning coal which he had taken with tongs from the altar.
7: And he touched my mouth, and said: “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin forgiven.”
8: And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”
9: And he said, "Go, and say to this people: `Hear and hear, but do not understand; see and see, but do not perceive.’
10: Make the heart of this people fat, and their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed."

As well as Paul in 1 Cor 14… As for the history of signing the cross, not sure.

In solemn Masses the priest recites:

Cleanse my heart, who dids’t cleanse the lips of the prophet Isaias with a burning coal, and vouchsafe, through Thy gracious mercy, so to purify me, that I may worthily announce Thy holy Gospel. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
Oh I see. Well I haven’t seen people do cross on their hearts since I don’t go watch people do the sign. But I did see people do the forehead and lips and the regular sign of the cross. Is that acceptable too?
The heart is the appropriate gesture since:

Heb 8:10: This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

As well:

Rom 10:9: because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10: For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
Oh I see. Well I haven’t seen people do cross on their hearts since I don’t go watch people do the sign. But I did see people do the forehead and lips and the regular sign of the cross. Is that acceptable too?
There probably are dioceses in which a simple sign of the cross is used. But, in the USA the sign is the three-fold sign of the cross on forehead, lips, and heart. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top