Harder and harder to find confession times...WHAT DO YOU THINK?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ak85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Regarding confession via internet)
What was/were the reasons given?
This Vatican document might help: vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/pccs/documents/rc_pc_pccs_doc_20020228_church-internet_en.html

Specifically:
Similarly, as noted above, the virtual reality of cyberspace has some worrisome implications for religion as well as for other areas of life. Virtual reality is no substitute for the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, the sacramental reality of the other sacraments, and shared worship in a flesh-and-blood human community. There are no sacraments on the Internet; and even the religious experiences possible there by the grace of God are insufficient apart from real-world interaction with other persons of faith.
A sacrament is a real encounter with the Person of Christ. In the Sacrament of Reconciliation, we encounter Christ in the person of the priest. The internet (or even telephone) does not allow for the full human presence of that encounter.

A secondary reason is that there is huge potential for abuse, people assuming the identity of a priest, violation of confidentiality, etc.
 
I tried to go to confession yesterday, and got there 5 minutes after the time had started. The slot is open at that time from 4:30 pm to about 5:15 pm. Very pleased to see so many people in line; I was about # 9 or 10. By 5 pm, there were still about 6 people in front of me, and I told the guy behind me to take my place. I felt so let down, because I figured that the priest would cut off the confessions to get ready for the 5:30 Mass, and I would be standing there and STILL not get to go.

Why don’t the bishops stipulate at least three hours per week for confession? The particular parish I went to has confession twice on Saturdays (11 am - 11:45 am, and then the slot I described).

It’s like the line from Field of Dreams – if you build it, they will come.

Regular confession and frequent communion go hand in hand. Why is one so readily available, and the other not?

As a convert, the minimal availability of confession is very disappointing to me. Why don’t more parishes offer confession PRIOR to Mass? I don’t mind going on Saturdays, but that is the one day during the week that we all run around and take care of errands that are not possible to do during the work week.

Sorry to rant, but unless we all complain and demand more, I fear the status quo will remain.
 
The mission I assist at north of Boston has it 45 minutes before 9:00 a.m. Mass on Sundays and after, when necessary. The priest then has to shoot up to another mission in Maine.

Joe
 
The associate pastor at my last parish was zealous and preached about the sacraments and their importance frequently. The number of parishoners that began to frequent confession grew to such a great number that confessions are heard before the morning and evening masses Mon. - Fri. and twice on Sat., afternoon and evening. Personal appointments could also be made and of course Penitential Rites were held twice per year. It was such a blessing. Confession is not as easy to come by where I live now. I think the importance that the priest places on it does make a difference. 😦
 
The associate pastor at my last parish was zealous and preached about the sacraments and their importance frequently. The number of parishoners that began to frequent confession grew to such a great number that confessions are heard before the morning and evening masses Mon. - Fri. and twice on Sat., afternoon and evening. Personal appointments could also be made and of course Penitential Rites were held twice per year. It was such a blessing. Confession is not as easy to come by where I live now. I think the importance that the priest places on it does make a difference. 😦
Unfortunately the pastor and associate at the parish I attend don’t address confession. Only time this year that was mentioned was Divine Mercy Sunday weekend. I feel if more of an emphasis was placed on sacraments (as exemplified by above poster) and the confession times were more frequent, more would take advantage. Confessions are heard 330-430PM on Saturdays and of course additional times during Lent and Advent at the parish I attend.
 
I have been having problems of late getting to confession myself. Only one hour per week and of course, offered by appointment during the week. Problem is, I work nights and sleep days and my sleep pattern is awful. Also, I have absolutely no extra money at all. I have had to cut down on my food spending as my gas consumption for my car is approx $45 a week and I can’t cut it down any more. I can’t afford the gas to go to confession other than my weekly trip to mass. The closest church in any direction is still $5 of gas, which I simply can’t afford as a separate trip.

I am trying very hard to get up a little earlier on Saturdays to at least get to confession before work, and my shift starts at 4pm; however, it’s been almost impossible to get to Confession on time. I have to do this soon, as in December I’m going to be working 6 days a week (Sundays off) and working overnights. And there’s a good probability I’ll be working 10-12 hour days. I will simply not be able to go to confession during December.

I ask everyone to please pray that I make it to confession at some point in November.

Also - a question - is saying a perfect act of contrition acceptable until I get to confession? I’m unsure if something I committed was mortal or not and I want to make sure I’m right with God before receiving communion.

Thanks and God Bless,
Snert
 
My parish offers confession on Saturday from 3:30 to 4:15 before the 4:30 vigil mass. My confessor is at my parish on alternate weeks (he assists at a parish ten minutes away on alternate weekends). We usually plan ahead for a Saturday every month, but sometimes we had to meet for confession after morning mass.
 
=ak85;5825535]Long time reader, first time poster so pardon me if this has been debated before. However, several years ago when I met my current wife I began “relearning” my faith and have since been much closer to God and the church. Since this time I have found that the Sacrament of Reconciliation is extremely important in my own spiritual life.
Nonetheless, I’m curious what confession scheduling is like in parishes around the country where you all are from. Here in Connecticut it seems as though the only time confession is offered is Saturdays or the dreaded by appointment. When I listen to daily mass on Sirius at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in NYC I hear them advertise daily confession before each mass…Then I scramble through parish websites around here and confessions are only on Saturdays. Usually during the weekends I try to hit the outdoors so Saturdays I’m all over the place and I would really like to avoid visiting a different priest every time I go to confession.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. God Bless,
In theroy, priest are not to refuse one an opportunity to Confess. I therefore suggest that you contact your Pastor and see what kind of “out of the scheduled 1/2 hour or so” you can meet with him, weekly, monthly whatever? He should be accomidating.

Love and prayers,

Pat
 
Also - a question - is saying a perfect act of contrition acceptable until I get to confession? I’m unsure if something I committed was mortal or not and I want to make sure I’m right with God before receiving communion.

Thanks and God Bless,
Snert

There is a Catholic theology that is of the belief our sins are forgiven when we get to the confessional. Until then it has been a spiritual experience, but because we are corporeal, and part of a community, we need see a priest. We re-enact what has taken place. We come in gratitude.

If our intentions are to confess our sins to a priest but circumstances don’t allow can we be held accountable, it was not through wilful disobedience? This speaks against the charity of God and echoes a theme on another thread (as to what constitutes Church membership.)

When we pray the ‘Our Father’ we ask for forgiveness.
When we pray the ‘Hail Mary’ we ask for intercession.
God would not have given us these prayers if He was lying to us about their efficacy.
 
Also - a question - is saying a perfect act of contrition acceptable until I get to confession? I’m unsure if something I committed was mortal or not and I want to make sure I’m right with God before receiving communion.
Thanks and God Bless,
Snert
Kevin, I’m not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying yes or no to a perfect act of contrition?

I had gone twice to confessions. Once in August and again a few weeks ago. Both times, there was a line of people and I just missed the priest because he had to say Mass. I was devastated the first time and the second I accepted it. But I still have yet to go. Until I can, what is the answer to my question… I assumed in answers by priests and apologists on CAL and TV that it was okay if an act of perfect contrition was said and the sin(s) were confessed at the next confession.

Is there a passage in the Catechism that addresses this? Or perhaps a past question in the Ask An Apologist section?

Thanks,
Snert
 
I assumed in answers by priests and apologists on CAL and TV that it was okay if an act of perfect contrition was said and the sin(s) were confessed at the next confession.
In that case, your sins might be forgiven (God can do anything He wants, Sacrament or no Sacrament), but definitely not absolved, which is what happens only in Confession. In practical terms, that means that if you are truly sorry, have made an act of perfect contrition and even tried to go to confession, if you get hit by a bus, you will probably be saved. It also means that you may not receive Holy Communion until your mortal sins are absolved in Confession.

If you are certain that your sins are mortal, you should probably be making a more serious effort to confess them. Those “by appointment” hours are just for this kind of thing.

Betsy
 
Also - a question - is saying a perfect act of contrition acceptable until I get to confession? I’m unsure if something I committed was mortal or not and I want to make sure I’m right with God before receiving communion.
If you think it was a mortal sin, do make an act of perfect contrition, but do not receive Communion until you have gone to confession and been absolved.

Sacramental absolution is a juridical act that reconciles you with both God and the Church. Absolution and forgiveness are not exactly the same thing, and absolution of serious sin is necessary before receiving Communion.

Call your priest and ask him for an appointment for confession before or after Mass.
 
Kevin, I’m not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying yes or no to a perfect act of contrition?

I had gone twice to confessions. Once in August and again a few weeks ago. Both times, there was a line of people and I just missed the priest because he had to say Mass. I was devastated the first time and the second I accepted it. But I still have yet to go. Until I can, what is the answer to my question… I assumed in answers by priests and apologists on CAL and TV that it was okay if an act of perfect contrition was said and the sin(s) were confessed at the next confession.

Is there a passage in the Catechism that addresses this? Or perhaps a past question in the Ask An Apologist section?

Thanks,
Snert
 
40.png
KEVIN_WILCOX:
Church law requires confession of sins once a year (Cf. Code of Canon Law, canon 989)
Individual, integral confession and absolution remain the only ordinary way for the faithful to reconcile themselves with God and the Church, unless physical or moral impossibility excuses from this kind of confession’ (Rite of Penance, Introduction, n.31)

Church law requires confession of sins once a year, though, strictly speaking, this particular law does not bind those who would have no grave sins to confess.

Perfect contrition is effected by psychological condition of penitent.

(I had a longer, more convoluted response, it got lost in transmission. Apologies.)
 
Is there a passage in the Catechism that addresses this?
1385 To respond to this invitation [to receive the Eucharist] we must prepare ourselves for so great and so holy a moment. St. Paul urges us to examine our conscience: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself."216 Anyone conscious of a grave sin must receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before coming to communion.
 
Who decides when individual confession and absolution would be physically or morally impossible? The judgement on this critical issue is reserved to the local ordinary after he has duly conferred with the other members of the national episcopal conference.

1943, Pope Pius XII, whilst admitting the value of penitential formulas in the Mass: “It is true that venial sins may be expiated in many ways which are to be highly commended. But to ensure more rapid progress day by day in the practice of virtue, we will that the pious practice of frequent Confession, which was introduced into the Church by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit , should be earnestly advocated.”
 
Why don’t more parishes offer confession PRIOR to Mass? I don’t mind going on Saturdays, but that is the one day during the week that we all run around and take care of errands that are not possible to do during the work week.

Sorry to rant, but unless we all complain and demand more, I fear the status quo will remain.
Thinking like a parishioner (which I am), it would just seem to make sense to have it on Sunday before mass. But try to look at it from the point of view of the priest. Sunday is his busiest, most demanding day, and surely he needs a few minutes’ downtime between masses to gather his thoughts, pray, and prepare for the next one. If he also tried to squeeze confessions in between, he’d be lucky to keep his sanity by the end of the last mass.

Maybe he could get a nearby retired priest to pop in and do confessions some Sundays though. It’s a possibility you could ask about, if you know of any retired priests that live not far away and seem open to staying active.
 
Luke 14:15-24 Excuses!:mad:

“The Servant of Charity must go to bed each night so tired from work that he will think he has been beaten” (Bl Louis Guanella)

“The true apostolic life consists in giving oneself no rest or repose” (St Camillus de Lellis)

Do you think the devil rests?
 
1385 To respond to this invitation [to receive the Eucharist] we must prepare ourselves for so great and so holy a moment. St. Paul urges us to examine our conscience: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself."216 Anyone conscious of a grave sin must receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before coming to communion.
Thank you. Yes, I know if I am concious of one I would eat and drink condemnation on myself. That is why I asked my question. But I do not have any idea if it is mortal or not. There is the probablilty it was done out of duress and would not have been done under different circumstances. But there is also my tendency to scruple. And there is also the fact I second guess myself all the time.

So no, I’m not sure if it was mortal or not.

Should I perhaps privately message Fr. Serpa on this?

I have emailed my parish priest and he basically just reiterated the times of confessions that were in the bulletin and implied he could not hear my confession on Sundays.

I am obviously going to have to do something. I will not go another month without confession, that’s for sure.

Thanks and God Bless,
Snert
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top