M
Margarite
Guest
YAY! Finally some people who have read the books and dislike them. This is the first place that I have been able to find you! I am so glad, because it is the discussion between those of us who do like them and those of us who do not that makes this thread worth writing into.
OK, now Tantum ergo, you say that you do not like Hermione’s lie. I have always thought it was useless. But, I would not say that the friendship was based on it. Even Rowlings says that the friendship was based on surviving the troll together, not the lie. It was the experience that bound them to eachother. Hermione realised that she wasn’t so great, and that the boys weren’t so bad. And the boys realised the use of their talent, and they realised that Hermione was human after all.
You say that they break the rules. Well, I would say that often it is their duty to. Let us take the first book.
(I hope I am remembering the book correctly it has been a couple years since I have read it, so I am mostly remembering the movie).
Harry, Ron and Hermione run into the forbidden room by accident because they want to get away from the scary moving stairs and they end up in the room with the three headed dog. (So they didn’t mean to do anything wrong.) Then, they tell Hagrid about it and he spills the Nicholas Flamell secret. So of course they are curious, so they look it up, and they know that someone attacked Harry, and so they follow a chain of thought and think that someone is trying to steal something important, but they know they don’t have enough info to tell a teacher. So they search on their own. Finally, at the end, they realise what is happening, but Dumbledore is gone and no one else would believe them, so they realise that they have to do it themselves. They don’t set out to break rules, they don’t break rules to do something bad, they only do it by accident, or when no one will listen to them, so they have to take action on their own.
I mean why would a teacher listen to a couple of kids who thought that one of the teachers was trying to steal something from the beloved principal especially when there were dangerous traps defending the object and most especially when the kids had nothing to prove their suspicions?
In the second book, Harry can’t help but hear the voice of something saying “Kill. Kill. Kill.” a voice that no one else can hear. Of course he wants to find out what it is. Then, there are the petrifications, who wouldn’t be curious, and with a combo like Harry (who has already faced death twice and who is stupidly brave) and Hermione (who has the brains to make a difference) they of course want to find out what is going on, especially when Harry is being blamed. Who wouldn’t want to prove their innocence? The polyjuice potion is lame to me, I don’t see the point of that either.
Basically, they only brake the rules to do good, most of the time.
Got to go.
OK, now Tantum ergo, you say that you do not like Hermione’s lie. I have always thought it was useless. But, I would not say that the friendship was based on it. Even Rowlings says that the friendship was based on surviving the troll together, not the lie. It was the experience that bound them to eachother. Hermione realised that she wasn’t so great, and that the boys weren’t so bad. And the boys realised the use of their talent, and they realised that Hermione was human after all.
You say that they break the rules. Well, I would say that often it is their duty to. Let us take the first book.
(I hope I am remembering the book correctly it has been a couple years since I have read it, so I am mostly remembering the movie).
Harry, Ron and Hermione run into the forbidden room by accident because they want to get away from the scary moving stairs and they end up in the room with the three headed dog. (So they didn’t mean to do anything wrong.) Then, they tell Hagrid about it and he spills the Nicholas Flamell secret. So of course they are curious, so they look it up, and they know that someone attacked Harry, and so they follow a chain of thought and think that someone is trying to steal something important, but they know they don’t have enough info to tell a teacher. So they search on their own. Finally, at the end, they realise what is happening, but Dumbledore is gone and no one else would believe them, so they realise that they have to do it themselves. They don’t set out to break rules, they don’t break rules to do something bad, they only do it by accident, or when no one will listen to them, so they have to take action on their own.
I mean why would a teacher listen to a couple of kids who thought that one of the teachers was trying to steal something from the beloved principal especially when there were dangerous traps defending the object and most especially when the kids had nothing to prove their suspicions?
In the second book, Harry can’t help but hear the voice of something saying “Kill. Kill. Kill.” a voice that no one else can hear. Of course he wants to find out what it is. Then, there are the petrifications, who wouldn’t be curious, and with a combo like Harry (who has already faced death twice and who is stupidly brave) and Hermione (who has the brains to make a difference) they of course want to find out what is going on, especially when Harry is being blamed. Who wouldn’t want to prove their innocence? The polyjuice potion is lame to me, I don’t see the point of that either.
Basically, they only brake the rules to do good, most of the time.
Got to go.