What does the Catholic Church teach about Harry Potter books or themes being used in a Church?
There is no official Church teaching about the Harry Potter series and really no reason why there should be. There are only personal opinions of Catholics that go from one end of the spectrum to the other on the fantasy fiction series. I am going to post the same thoughts that I’ve posted in the
nine**** other Harry Potter comment threads that I’ve participated in here on this Catholic Answers site for you to look over and come to your own conclusion regarding JK Rowling’s novels:
Our Sunday Visitor (OSV) publishes a terrific book about Harry Potter that’s specifically for Catholic parents and includes an interview with Catholic novelist and homeschooling mom Regina Doman in the last section of the book. It also covers the concern over then Cardinal Ratzinger’s reply to a women who wrote him about the book (that note has been discussed ad nauseum here on many closed threads) and Michael O’Brien’s take on HP is included, too.
It’s called "The Mystery of Harry Potter: A Catholic Family Guide " and is authored by Nancy Carpentier Brown, a Catholic homeschooling mom who also wrote the Father Brown Readers from Catholic Heritage Curricula (homeschool curriculum provider).
For any Catholic that has concerns about HP, the book gives a balanced and hysteria-free look at HP and how to discern if it’s a good choice for your family and your children. I’m sure there are people out there who have read it and still think HP’s not a good choice for their family, but it gives a Catholic view of the series ( and the movies that were out when it was published) so that parents can make an educated choice for their own families, instead of getting caught up in the anti-Harry frenzy that seems to dominate the fundamentalist mindset.
amazon.com/Mystery-Harry-Potter-Catholic-Family/dp/1592763987?ie=UTF8&Version=1&entries=0
Fr Luke Bell, OSB has also written a book about the series, sharing his thoughts and wisdom regarding HP and Catholicism:
amazon.com/Baptizing-Harry-Potter-Christian-Reading/dp/1587680580/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465595341&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=harry+potter+br+luke+bell
If you are truly interested in a Catholic viewpoint on Harry Potter, I recommend you read the two books I have listed above, as the authors have went to great lengths in their research on the series from a Catholic perspective.