Harry Potter

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luke1_48
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes it’s okay…it is just a fictional book…there are much worse things to expose children to than a story about a boy fighting evil…although it would be too intense for a small child.
 
40.png
FightingFat:
I think they’re great stories. I’m currently reading the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis to my 4 children and they’re brilliant, but have many of the components of the Harry Potter series.
:cool:The Narnia Chronicles are great - believe it or not they actually played a big part in renewing my faith when I was beginning to lose it! I hope your children enjoy them. 😃
 
i’ve been reading the previous responses and am appalled at the feedback, but also glad that there are some who do indeed agree with me. I finished my first harry potter book at the age of 9, my mother read it every night to my younger brother since he was 4, now at 13 he has completed every book in the series. For those who say the book has no morals, they obviously have not read it. How about the morals of good versus evil? The evil in the books is vividly portrayed though the antagonist Lord Voldemort and the obvious but not so likely hero a mere boy, Harry Potter. What i dont understand is how people are so quick to shun an amazing piece of literature. If we still kept to that idea of banning books, we wouldnt have some of the greatest materpieces in the history of literature. To me, a book that can fascinate children to read and imagine a world they never dreamed of, and inspire them to have love, courage, and loyalty is definitely worth it.

When i become a parent, regardless of whether i decide to raise my children catholic or not, you better believe that Harry Potter will not be a taboo in my family :bowdown2:
 
There should be another option: “Other – please explain.”

I would have a problem with my two young children watching the Harry Potter movies, but maybe not once they’re mature enough to see them.

Also, the later movies are considerably darker than the earlier ones, so it depends on which movie you’re talking about. I ten-year-old might be ready for ‘Sorcerer’s Stone’, but maybe not for ‘Half-blood Prince’ (when it comes out). Know what I mean?
 
I would wait until about 4th grade to introduce Harry Potter. I would read it aloud to children (skip the movies).
 
Well I wouln’t say he’s morally sound, and I do suppose he lied a couple times throught the books.

Depends on the child, I say. There’s quite a bit of violence, profanity, and even if it is in Brit, a wee bit too much sexuallity than kids should be getting. Ever, if I had my way…

And magic, even if it’s wands and rabbits our of hats, it’s magic, an abomination. Be hot or be cold.
 
I would have preferred a simple Yes / No answer, because I don’t know if he is:

A) A liar

B) Is evil

and, anyway, I don’t want want to couch my distaste for Harry Potter based on statements like that.

So, I couldn’t vote in this poll.

However, I did walk into a room once where some people were watching one of the films (I forget which one, maybe the second?).

So I’ve seen about 4 minutes of one of the films.

It seemed like Harry’s parents or relatives were portrayed as really vile, disgusting people.

All I remember is there was a large, overweight woman who said something (I forget what) to him, some sort of denigrating remark, and this Harry kid went ape and used his magical powers to make this woman’s body expand until she was like a huge ballon, and she started to float across London.

And of course the film portrayed this as being funny and humorous.

It strikes me that a response like that to something that something somebody says, i.e., somebody’s words, certainly is not a morally good reaction or a Christian reaction.

And to portray another person’s fear and anxiety over being turned into a floating ballon really tells you volumes about the author of this book and the film director and their warped mindset.

It seems like a lot of you think this is perfect entertainment for your children; I would encourage you to really reflect, give it a hard look, and think twice about that.
 
I’m a huge Harry Potter fan! I love the books and movies! I also think Dan Radcliffe is hot. 😉

To me the Harry Potter books are more about the stuggle between good and evil than magic.
 
To me the Harry Potter books are more about the stuggle between good and evil than magic.
And was it not shown that magic could be used for good AND evil? This simply is not the case, and it is damaging for anyone to be under this false assumption.

Magic is of the devil, and all that use it are against God. Anything portraying it in a light outside this truth is there to set the seed of corruption.
 
1). It fiction, no one can do the magic protrayed in the books.

2). The characters don’t get to choose whether to be magical or not. They are either born with magical abilites or they’re not.
 
1). It fiction, no one can do the magic protrayed in the books.

2). The characters don’t get to choose whether to be magical or not. They are either born with magical abilites or they’re not.
In a sense, I suppose we all have “magical” abilities. We could all turn to Satan and sell our souls for evil power, but whether or not we are allowed to spread evil or are gobbled up by demons, I don’t know.

Someone must have, at one time, flown on a broom, otherwise, who would have come up with such a ridiculous idea?

It can be done, but it is a sinister thing to do so, and must be portrayed as such.
 
And was it not shown that magic could be used for good AND evil? This simply is not the case, and it is damaging for anyone to be under this false assumption.

Magic is of the devil, and all that use it are against God. Anything portraying it in a light outside this truth is there to set the seed of corruption.
Then would you condemn the Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia, as well? Odd. I’ve always thought Lewis and Tolkien to be champions of Christian literature.
 
I don’t think Harry Potter is evil although there are some questionable things that should be re-evaluated when the kiddies read it (such as the snogging)…nothing that can’t be fixed through proper parental guidance.

The magic in HP has more in akin to mutant powers rather than real actual magic. In the HP universe, one is born with magic powers and the wizard school Hogwarts, is a place to develop their abilities and provide a place in normal Wizarding (the magic world) society.

In real magic, one usually has to “invoke” certain entities to attain magical effects, thus breaking the commandment “Thou shalt have no other gods besides Me.” In general, that’s what makes magic wrong, the breaching of a commandment.

In HP, there’s no actual invocation of entities. Wizards and witches focus their powers through a wand (made from exotic materials akin to the HP universe) and say certain latin words. That’s it. HP Magic is portrayed as an extraordinary skill no more different that painting or writing. (I am not saying real magic is the same. Different class altogether.)

I realize of course that it may be possible for kids reading HP, really curious about real magic but once again, parents should enlighten their kids about the facts. Which is important because when I turn on the tv, almost every children’s show I can find deals with the subject of magic. HP is just the tip of the iceberg. You could ban the books from your house but kids will probably find some other show, book, movie utilizing the same themes. The solution is not to cut the material off since your children will probably be bombarded by an avalance of said material somehow, someway but fortifying them beforehand.
 
Before the conversation should continue, it is important to watch Fr. Roderick’s discussion of Harry Potter on the www.sqpn.com website (in his keynote to Franciscan U New Media Conference). In short, he sees that Harry Potter can prove to be an evangelistic opportunity, building a bridge between the Catholic Gospel and the symbolic-rich worldview that JK Rowling has created. He’s shared many stories as to how he used his “Secrets of Harry Potter” podcast to introduce fans of the books to elements of the Catholic Gospel.

Also, JK Rowling is a Christian, and the last book in the series contains some very serious Christian overtones, including a seminal Bible verse focusing upon redemption. She uses fantasy-speak, but she’s merely following the footsteps of the literary giants who have gone on before her–Tolkein, Lewis, and Madeline D’Lengle. That occultic-ish groups have spawned outside of her writings (as has done for Tolkein) in the past in no way reflects the positive intent in her writings–it is OUR JOB as EFFECTIVE EVANGELISTS to not reject the entire Harry Potter canon (and thus turning off a sizable population), but drawing out the positive, pro-Gospel elements in the series, which was Rowling’s intent.

Lastly: to the poster who felt compelled to write about Harry Potter’s “family”–if you were indeed familiar with the books, you would never have erred in such poor judgment. Those characters (step-parents, and not nice ones) were explained in Chapter One of the very first book.

Don’t be afraid of popular art. Learn to channel it for good. Read JPII’s Letter to Artists to learn more as to how our last pope saw the power of art, even popular art, and the potential for it to be used for good.

Nick
 
I couldn’t answer the poll. The question is :Is it okay for kids to watch Harry Potter? I would not show the movies to my children, but not because I think Harry is evil or a liar, but the movies seem a bit too intense for younger kids. Maybe when they’re older…
 
Lastly: to the poster who felt compelled to write about Harry Potter’s “family”–if you were indeed familiar with the books, you would never have erred in such poor judgment. Those characters (step-parents, and not nice ones) were explained in Chapter One of the very first book.
I did hear that the “bad” character or villain figure in the story installed his Aunt and Uncle as his step-parents.

But someone said in the movie his Aunt said something denigrating about his parents, so Harry Potter became angry (a Deadly Sin), and then used his magical powers to make his Aunt’s body expand and float like a ballon across London.

I also remember in the movie Harry laughed about it after he did it.

OK, so what is good about this??

Why doesn’t Harry offer up the venial sin his Aunt committed against him??

Why doesn’t he follow the commandment to honor his Aunt and Uncle, whom God in his Providence has provided Harry with??

So his Aunt said a cruel thing to him, using words.

These step-parents may mistreat him, but that does not morally justify Harry’s violation of his Aunt’s body and his use of his magical powers to control her body as a means to achieve revenge and satisfy his anger against her.
 
I couldn’t answer the poll. The question is :Is it okay for kids to watch Harry Potter? I would not show the movies to my children, but not because I think Harry is evil or a liar, but the movies seem a bit too intense for younger kids. Maybe when they’re older…
Plus all the ones after two stink out loud.
 
I did hear that the “bad” character or villain figure in the story installed his Aunt and Uncle as his step-parents.

But someone said in the movie his Aunt said something denigrating about his parents, so Harry Potter became angry (a Deadly Sin), and then used his magical powers to make his Aunt’s body expand and float like a ballon across London.

I also remember in the movie Harry laughed about it after he did it.

OK, so what is good about this??

Why doesn’t Harry offer up the venial sin his Aunt committed against him??

Why doesn’t he follow the commandment to honor his Aunt and Uncle, whom God in his Providence has provided Harry with??

So his Aunt said a cruel thing to him, using words.

These step-parents may mistreat him, but that does not morally justify Harry’s violation of his Aunt’s body and his use of his magical powers to control her body as a means to achieve revenge and satisfy his anger against her.
In defense of the books, Harry did not intend to blow up his aunt. As for it being a deadly sin, well as you know, a mortal sin requires knowledge that what you’re doing is a mortal sin and you still intend to do it. Harry had no intention of blowing up his aunt, he lost control of his power as his parents were being insulted and it happened. Harry was only in his 3rd year and wasn’t exactly a model student. Given the circumstances, there was a good chance he wasn’t capable of reversing his spell and things being too hectic as it is (as well as the prospect of being expelled), left before things got really out of hand.

Harry isn’t Catholic so I wouldn’t exactly expect him to behave like a model Christian…much less offer up sins. But he’s pretty moral as far as someone who has no particular religion can be.

I don’t remember about Harry laughing in the movie. I only watched each HP movie once since I’d rather read the books. I’ll check later.
 
But someone said in the movie his Aunt said something denigrating about his parents, so Harry Potter became angry (a Deadly Sin), and then used his magical powers to make his Aunt’s body expand and float like a ballon across London.
Do you restrict all literature and all films the moment the central protagonist gets angry (a mortal sin)?

That’s a whole lot of literature (and Bible stories) to be thrown in the fire. Perhaps you haven’t read John chapter 2 yet…
 
Dwyer,

It might be better in this case to simply watch the films (since that is what this thread is about) yourself, since so many Christian film reviewers disagree on Harry Potter. What they haven’t told you in this instance is that Harry’s family perpetually bullies and harrasses him while he is at home during the summers, and he is forced to show tremendous constraint or else be kicked out of Hogwarts for using magic underage. The one time he breaks this law knowingly and willfully (in the fifth film, I believe?), he does it to save the life (and soul) of his cousin, who was moments before threatening to beat Harry senseless. This would constitute a heroic act of mercy, would it not?

So simply put, there is far too much material at hand to make quick hot-or-cold judgments about the nature of Harry Potter. It really is nearly impossible to determine it until you see it for yourself.

God bless,

mary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top