Harry Potter

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luke1_48
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
To cast a spell is to curse. To put a pig’s tail (note: a pig is a cloven animal) on a child is to demean the temple of the Holy Spirit.The broom riding in the courtyard was particularly violent. This movie is a sick intro into the occult.I watched part of it a long time ago and I would not show or give a copy to anyone.
 
40.png
Starflower:
To cast a spell is to curse. To put a pig’s tail (note: a pig is a cloven animal) on a child is to demean the temple of the Holy Spirit.The broom riding in the courtyard was particularly violent. This movie is a sick intro into the occult.I watched part of it a long time ago and I would not show or give a copy to anyone.
It is not an intro to the occult as nothing in the movie remotely resembles any occult practices.

I can say this as I was into the occult/wicca/neo-paganism at one time in my life.
 
From the US Conference of Catholic Bishops Movie Review site:
Parents concerned about the film’s sorcery elements should know that it is unlikely to pose any threat to Catholic beliefs. “Harry Potter” is so obviously innocuous fantasy that its fiction is easily distinguishable from real life. Harry uses his “magical powers” for good to fight evil. Parents and children can enjoy this fetching tale in the same spirit of the time-honored tradition of sorcery in Eastern Literature, such as the magical figure of Merlin in the Arthurian legend. And the film ends with a very upbeat, positive message about sacrificial love. Older children should be able to handle it, although it is too long and intense for younger ones…
Due to some menacing situations and scary images with an instance of crass language, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops classification is A-II – adults and adolescents. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG – parental guidance suggested.
Prisoner of Azkaban review:
To its credit, this is accomplished in well-paced, polished fashion, and – as in the two previous movies – it remains very clearly a fantasy, in no way a textbook for teaching black magic, and thus is no threat to Catholic teaching…
Due to some frightening images and scenes of intense menace, the USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is A-II – adults and adolescents. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-- parental guidance suggested.
Code:
For the entire reviews go here:  [Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone](http://www.usccb.org/movies/h/harrypotterfullreview.htm) 
[Chamber of Secrets](http://www.usccb.org/movies/h/harrypotterandthechamberofsecrets.htm)
[Prisoner of Azkaban](http://www.usccb.org/movies/h/harrypotterandtheprisonerofazkaban.htm)
 
I voted evil. If you cannot see into the spiritual realm it will look innocent to you but the truth is it is not of God. Its the spirits that are behind it,that what makes it bad.Please dont tell me it has been approved by this or that. Its the blind leading the blind. Satan is a deciever and a father of lies. You want to feed your children poison,then go right ahead. :eek:
 
This topic has been discussed several times.

Here:
Harry Potter Confusion

Here:
Harry Potter Sinfull?

Here:
Finding God in Harry Potter

And Here:
St. Philomena and HP

I myself am in the camp of Harry Potter being just fine. In fact I had the opportunity to read Finding God in Harry Potter by John Granger and the HP novels went from being books for entertainment only, to having a deeper message.

Those of you who are against HP or are on the fence about it, might read finding God in HP and see the literary analysis of the novels and how they parallel the great christian writings of the Inklings (CS Lewis, Tolkein, etc.)

Those of you who enjoy the novels might read it for a different perspective on the novels.

Here are some articles and a segment from the book:

americandaily.com/article/4593

First Chapter of Finding God in Harry Potter
 
I read a couple of the books with my daughters and found them harmless. They are fantasy.
 
as previous posters have mentioned, it is probably appropriate only for older children and not for little ones. i say this because the author does not seem to address the issue of death properly in her books. she seems eager to kill off a character in each book (from the 4th). the way she wrote about cedric diggory’s death in goblet of fire left a lot to be desired. she seems to forget that most of her readers are children.

apart from that, my only reservation is that the children reading these books should have a solid catholic support telling them that we, as children of god, should depend only on his grace and not dabble in magic. one should understand that the attempt to ourselves handle the supernatural/paranormal (as different from intercesion to the divine for help), even with good intentions, is incorrect.
the child should understand that it is fiction and that he/she should not dabble in anything remotely similar.
otherwise, it is possible to glean good points and inspiration from those books.
 
It is perfectly ok. as said before, it is pure fantasy, and none of the “spells” are the words that wicca’s use anyway. they are made up. and if you condemn these books and movies, you would also have to condemn about 90% of all movies created today. I have read a book before, I dont remember the name, but it shows how you can use them to teach what you shouldnt do. they portray a young boy going through some of the same emotions kids go through (school stress, right and wrong, bullys, peer pressure) I love the books personally. I love a good fantasy.
 
harry potter is just fine. I love reading them and watching it…it got more kids reading too. well i think its harmless, but some people think into it too much, but thats there opinion.
 
I don’t like Harry Potter, I think there’s much better stuff out there for children. Tolkein made a clear distinction between good and evil Rowlings does not.
 
I don’t recommend the movies for smaller kids, but I think the books are just fine for most children. If one uses movies as a babysitter and never discusses things with their children, they have more issues than this one series of books.If one raises their children to love the Lord and be knowledgable of the Faith, there’s no problemo with Harry.
 
Big deal… a pigs tail on a little boy…he was ROTTEN and deserved it! 😛

Now what about those poor defenseless flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz…did THEY do anything wrong to end up with BAT WINGS attached to them? 😦 😃
 
Those who cannot discern the distinction between fantasy and reality should not view the HP movies (or read the books), whether child or adult. The books are not intended for young children, more the middle school and up set.

But note that the movies are rated PG: that means that they should only be seen by children with the guidance of their parents.
 
As long as you have strong morals, and know that they are just fantasy, then the HP books and movies aren’t bad. However, don’t start trying the “curses” or magiking because that is morally wrong.

God Bless–JMJ
Laura 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top