Has anyone read a good PREPARATION FOR MARRIAGE BOOK?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Peanut7949
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peanut7949

Guest
A little background. My sister got engaged 3 months ago. They weren’t chaste but now (benefit of the doubt) are. They want to learn about the faith (Jesus Christ mainly, ones an ex catholic fell away, the other has little to no background in Christianity), but aren’t trying very hard. I want to get them a book that will help them understand what they are undertaking… give them the best chance… teach about monogamy, help them communicate important stuff…

any good ideas? Thank you so much!! God bless~

LOVE JESS
 
A little background. My sister got engaged 3 months ago. They weren’t chaste but now (benefit of the doubt) are. They want to learn about the faith (Jesus Christ mainly, ones an ex catholic fell away, the other has little to no background in Christianity), but aren’t trying very hard. I want to get them a book that will help them understand what they are undertaking… give them the best chance… teach about monogamy, help them communicate important stuff…

any good ideas? Thank you so much!! God bless~

LOVE JESS
I can’t promote it enough. “Wing to Wing Oar to Oar: Readings on Courting and Marrying”

amazon.com/Wing-Oar-Readings-Courting-Marrying/dp/0268019606

It is an anthology that was put together by a Jewish professor, but it makes its points without being preachy.
 
A little background. My sister got engaged 3 months ago. They weren’t chaste but now (benefit of the doubt) are. They want to learn about the faith (Jesus Christ mainly, ones an ex catholic fell away, the other has little to no background in Christianity), but aren’t trying very hard. I want to get them a book that will help them understand what they are undertaking… give them the best chance… teach about monogamy, help them communicate important stuff…

any good ideas? Thank you so much!! God bless~

LOVE JESS
Pray for their strength during the process. Are there no pre-cana classes nearby they can take? I know it’s something offered, to my sister, before she got married (she declined, since she’s no longer a really practicing Catholic).
 
Psychopathies (* because there’s more than one kind)
What Makes Narcissists Tick – Understanding NPD
And dozens of Roman Rota judgements.

Very enhancing for me but I doubt it’d help you help your sister. 😉
 
Psychopathies (* because there’s more than one kind)
What Makes Narcissists Tick – Understanding NPD
And dozens of Roman Rota judgements.

Very enhancing for me but I doubt it’d help you help your sister. 😉
:rotfl:

Sounds like a reading list from my student days! (Except for the Roman Rota judgements…)

To stick to the topic, though: Ad fontes! The book of Tobit - especially chapter 6 and Tobias and Sara’s prayer in chapter 7 - are essential, if they’re willing to take it seriously. (For chapter 6, make sure you recommend the Douay-Rheims translation - all the other versions pretty much neuter it.)

And when that’s done, St. Paul’s “theology of marriage” in 1 Corinthians and Ephesians should do the trick. (Yes, I am an optimist of sorts…) 😉
 
Three To Get Married by Archbishop Fulton Sheen
For Better… Forever by Dr Greg Popcak
 
Thanks all!! I will order wing to wing and I made the notes from the Bible passages!! Thanks again—
 
Good news about sex and marriage and theology of the body for beginners by Christopher West
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top