Has anyone used Jeff Cavins "The Great Adventure"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ab75
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ab75

Guest
If so, can we buy just the study pack (which is about $40) and use it for a family study, or do we really need the cd’s as well. The mrs. and I wanted to start a study, and this seems like a good one.
 
I went through this study last year and it really is a fantastic, orthodox way to approach the Bible. I learned so much about the Old Testament and Hebrew culture this way. Of course it also covers the New Testament well, it is a great survey of salvation history.

It is really designed for parishes to host these studies. Our format was: a week’s preparation such as reading the chapters, then a viewing of the DVD, then the following week we had a discussion session to wrap up the study section and followed that with the next viewing.

Jeff Cavins’ insight is invaluable in this bible study. While it may be possible to muddle through the bible with just the footnotes and complete the workbooks without benefit of the DVDs, it really is not the optimal way to experience this great course.
 
If so, can we buy just the study pack (which is about $40) and use it for a family study, or do we really need the cd’s as well. The mrs. and I wanted to start a study, and this seems like a good one.
The video has a lot in it that’s not in the workbook. I highly recommend both in a group study. It’s the best Bible Study I’ve ever done.
 
If so, can we buy just the study pack (which is about $40) and use it for a family study, or do we really need the cd’s as well. The mrs. and I wanted to start a study, and this seems like a good one.
I have attended several of the Great Adventure studies. In my opinion, you will miss out on a lot if you don’t hear Jeff’s lectures. He is a gifted teacher.
 
This is a wonderful study. It was offered through my parish and I studied it there. I works best in study groups where you have a chance to 1) read the Bible passages and do the home work, then 2) discuss the answers to your questions in “class”, then 3) watch the video which really explains in detail the background and other things that help you understand what that scripture reading is really about… I would NOT do the study without the videos. EWTN did show them at one time, I don’t know if they plan on showing them again. Take the “Bible Timeline” first…it is the best one to take first and gives you background for all the rest. God Bless:)
 
I agree with all the comments above…a great way to start to learn the Bible…makes the readings (especially Old Testament) at mass understandable. If it isn’t offered in your parish or surrounding area, then the home study is the next best thing. But make SURE you get the CD’s to go with it…you will miss too much important information if you don’t. I did the 8 week version and liked it so much, I am now doing the 24 week.
 
I agree with all the comments above…a great way to start to learn the Bible…makes the readings (especially Old Testament) at mass understandable. If it isn’t offered in your parish or surrounding area, then the home study is the next best thing. But make SURE you get the CD’s to go with it…you will miss too much important information if you don’t. I did the 8 week version and liked it so much, I am now doing the 24 week.
What is the 8 week version?

I would like to do this with my wife, but she is concerned she will not have enough time, as while she does want to learn more, she’s not as “excited” about spending her limited leisure time entirely devoted to it. I guess I could see if our Parish ever does something like this, or try to start one and host it.

It does seem like a good starters course.
 
I have heard that the bible study was great - we did the T3 teen timeline with our two oldest kids about 18 months ago and loved it.

If you log onto the website you can view a map of all the places that offer the bible study. Hopefully one will be in your area.
 
The 8 week version is very easy to undertake. We conducted the “Quick Journey” 8 week series recently in my parish and it was very well recieved. Once a week we would meet, watch the video [which only takes 30 minutes per “chapter”] and then review the workbook in small groups for the following 30 - 40 minutes with a nice discussion. Of course you can always spend more time, but 60 minutes [give or take] once a week over the course of two months is an awesome way to spend your valuable/limited leisure time. The DVD/CD is well worth the investment. You will learn so much -
 
The 8 week version is very easy to undertake. We conducted the “Quick Journey” 8 week series recently in my parish and it was very well recieved. Once a week we would meet, watch the video [which only takes 30 minutes per “chapter”] and then review the workbook in small groups for the following 30 - 40 minutes with a nice discussion. Of course you can always spend more time, but 60 minutes [give or take] once a week over the course of two months is an awesome way to spend your valuable/limited leisure time. The DVD/CD is well worth the investment. You will learn so much -
Maybe this is a good place to start with the dear wife
 
Maybe this is a good place to start with the dear wife
Start with the 8-week. It’s a “Quick Tour.” It’s a great overview and will give you a thirst for the 24-Session, which is more in-depth. We are having our 24th session tonight. We first did the 8-week “Quick Tour” and did the 24 session over the past 12 months. It will give you a whole new perspective of those difficult OT readings. The videos are Jeff’s lectures, where he gives the Jewish and Biblical cultural backgrounds so necessary for understanding the Bible in context. Jeff is an awesome teacher and his lectures will absolutely mesmerize you!
 
Start with the 8-week. It’s a “Quick Tour.” It’s a great overview and will give you a thirst for the 24-Session, which is more in-depth. We are having our 24th session tonight. We first did the 8-week “Quick Tour” and did the 24 session over the past 12 months. It will give you a whole new perspective of those difficult OT readings. The videos are Jeff’s lectures, where he gives the Jewish and Biblical cultural backgrounds so necessary for understanding the Bible in context. Jeff is an awesome teacher and his lectures will absolutely mesmerize you!
For those who have done both, would you recomend the 8 week course from Jeff, or the T3 (teens version) from Jeff and Mark Hart. We are both in our early 30’s, and certainly responsible adults by most accounts, but probably think somewhat young of heart. I’m not looking at dummied down from an intellectual perspective, but just want to see which would make more sense.
 
For those who have done both, would you recomend the 8 week course from Jeff, or the T3 (teens version) from Jeff and Mark Hart. We are both in our early 30’s, and certainly responsible adults by most accounts, but probably think somewhat young of heart. I’m not looking at dummied down from an intellectual perspective, but just want to see which would make more sense.
I just watched an excerpt of the teen version. DON’T GET IT unless you like jumpy teen music. I can’t stand that music. That’s my only beef with it.

I’m about to start teaching the 24 week session. I have no idea what I’m doing but we need some adult education at our small church and since no one else is doing it I have decided that it must be me who steps up to the plate (or maybe the Holy Spirit is shoving me 🙂 ).
 
For those who have done both, would you recomend the 8 week course from Jeff, or the T3 (teens version) from Jeff and Mark Hart. We are both in our early 30’s, and certainly responsible adults by most accounts, but probably think somewhat young of heart. I’m not looking at dummied down from an intellectual perspective, but just want to see which would make more sense.
I’m not familiar with the T3 versions.
 
I’m about to start teaching the 24 week session. I have no idea what I’m doing but we need some adult education at our small church and since no one else is doing it I have decided that it must be me who steps up to the plate (or maybe the Holy Spirit is shoving me 🙂 ).
God bless you. He is leading you in the right direction and you are answering his call.

Believe me, you won’t regret it. The series gives you all the tools you need, especially Trust in God.. You’ll know what I mean about that when you start.

We started last October and had our last session on Wednesday. What an awesome journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top