Hate Crime Legislation Being Challenged

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Treating the beating attack of a Satanist as a hate crime is “more proof that the bizarre legal doctrine must be overturned,” the Libertarian Party said Thursday.

Two New York teens face 15 years in prison for allegedly attacking self-avowed Satanist Daniel Romano, who wears black clothing, has black fingernails and wears an upside-down crucifix. The teens allegedly yelled “Hey Satan” and beat Romano with a metal club and an ice scraper.

Queens district attorney Richard Brown announced this week the teens would be charged with “second-degree assault as a hate crime” along with two other charges, which could carry a 15-year sentence. “What in heaven’s name are these prosecutors thinking?” asked Joseph Seehusen, executive director of the Libertarian Party.

“When a law supposedly designed to protect religious minorities is being used to protect devil-worshippers, our criminal justice system has been turned upside down,” Seehusen said.

He pointed out that under the hate crime law, someone who beats a Satanist because of a “religious bias” could be punished more severely than someone who attacks a priest, rabbi, or any regular citizen and steals their wallet, assuming they’re motivated only by greed.

Seehusen also noted that someone who murders a Satanist because of a religious motivation could get a more severe punishment than someone who assassinated the president because of a political motivation.

“Is the life of a priest, rabbi or president worth less than that of a Satanist?” Seehusen asked. "In the bizarre world of hate-crime legislation, the answer is yes - because their murderer would get a less severe punishment…

“…The concept of equal justice under the law requires that bigots be punished not because they assaulted a Satanist, but because they assaulted a human being,” he said. “Police and prosecutors should focus on punishing all violent crimes, not on those which happen to be politically incorrect.”."

cnsnews.com//ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive00501\NAT20050113c.html

The PC is rediculous.A violent crime is a violent crime period.So in effect they are saying that if you beat a satanist because he is a satanist it is worse than if you beat a satanist without knowledge that he is a satanist:rolleyes: Isn’t that lovely:nope: Well,I am curious on what the results will be in this case.I will pray for the satanist,that he will be delivered from that evil.God Bless

I don’t believe in hate crime laws. If you beat someone you should be punished according the the severity of the beating, not the reason you did it. According to the thinking that led to these laws the guy who robs you to feed a drug habit is less guilty than the guy who robs you because you drive a nice car and look like you have more money that the kid in the beat up jalopy, and he just wants money to have a good time on. Makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back