Hate to show ignorance

  • Thread starter Thread starter NCOtto
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NCOtto

Guest
I know there is group of scripture verses that deal with how we look at sin, One of them deals with the fact that what We used to look at as a sin has changed in the way we look at the same thing it is no longer offensive and no longer a sin in other words what was once truth is now a false hood any help is appreciated
 
NCO,

I hope this answers your question.

Aside from how people may have “once thought about” sin, I think the best definition of it appears in the new Catechism of the Catholic Church Nos. 1849-1850:

“Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a pervasive attachment to certain goods. It woulds the nature of man an injures the human solidarity. It has been defined as 'an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law.”

“Sin is an offense against God . . . Sin sets itself against God’s love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become ‘like gods’, knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus ‘love of onself even to contempt of God.’ In this proud self-exaltation, sin is diametically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.”

I think the above definition/characterization of “sin” will be valid in any time of history, no matter what the period or circumstances.

If I missed what you were looking for, I apologize.
 
I know there is group of scripture verses that deal with how we look at sin, One of them deals with the fact that what We used to look at as a sin has changed in the way we look at the same thing it is no longer offensive and no longer a sin in other words what was once truth is now a false hood any help is appreciated
I would read Romans 7, then do a Bible search online for “exchanged the truth for a lie.”
 
there’s also a line someplace about people having a seared conscience – meaning that they are insensitive to sin – I am all too aware of that tendency in myself.

Then, it’s not the same thing that you’re looking for, but a favorite phrase in thebook of Judges is that “each man did what was right in his own eyes.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top