Hatred?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mymamamary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mymamamary

Guest
Is Hatred an act of the will or emotion?? :confused:

Reason I ask is because I made the mistake of watching :For Greater Glory. The movie is fine, its the content that has me severely unsettled. I CANNOT stand watching movies like these. I could barely stomach Schindlers List. This is too much. I cannot watch Priests getting hung, shot or otherwise. :(:bighanky::bighanky::bighanky: . I have a REAL short fuse when it comes to injustice. I get all cranked up. Meaning horrified, sad and very angry.

When I watch the scenes where Father was hung and the other federales were getting shot as well in the Church,I was horrified and My stomach clenched up. How do I know I hate them? Is it an act of the will like me saying “I will hate them”, because I WAS TRYYING VERY HARD to not hate, I was saying JESUS I TRUST IN YOU, and looking at the Crucifix. I dont want to hate or wish ill? Have I done so?

P.S, I didnt have as nearly as hard time watching PASSION OF THE CHRIST, reason being? because I Crucified Our LORD. I cant excuse or blame anyone else.
 
Is Hatred an act of the will or emotion?? :confused:

Reason I ask is because I made the mistake of watching :For Greater Glory. The movie is fine, its the content that has me severely unsettled. I CANNOT stand watching movies like these. I could barely stomach Schindlers List. This is too much. I cannot watch Priests getting hung, shot or otherwise. :(:bighanky::bighanky::bighanky: . I have a REAL short fuse when it comes to injustice. I get all cranked up. Meaning horrified, sad and very angry.

When I watch the scenes where Father was hung and the other federales were getting shot as well in the Church,I was horrified and My stomach clenched up. How do I know I hate them? Is it an act of the will like me saying “I will hate them”, because I WAS TRYYING VERY HARD to not hate, I was saying JESUS I TRUST IN YOU, and looking at the Crucifix. I dont want to hate or wish ill? Have I done so?

P.S, I didnt have as nearly as hard time watching PASSION OF THE CHRIST, reason being? because I Crucified Our LORD. I cant excuse or blame anyone else.
Modern Catholic Dictionary:

HATRED. A voluntary act by which someone or something is regarded with bitter aversion. On the first level hatred is directed against either God or some rational being; on the second level it is directed against some quality in another but without hatred of the individual personality.

Personal hatred of God may take the form of disgust, when a person detests God because he punishes sinners. It is a grave sin because it is contrary to the justice of God. Another form is the hatred of enmity, when a person actually wished evil to God. Such hatred is of its nature diabolical, and is the most grievous of all sins, since it approximates the enmity that the devils have against God.

Personal hatred of a human being is the direct opposite of the virtue of love. Where love inspires a person to wish well to another, hatred arouses the desire to do harm or have harm befall the one hated, not as a source of possible good, but precisely as evil. The gravity of such sins of personal hatred depends on how serious the harm wished or intended, and on how deliberately the malicious desires are harbored.

Hatred or a quality in someone may be either sinful or not. If the hatred is directed only toward some evil quality that a person has, but does not touch that person, it is not sinful. It becomes sinful only if the hatred extends to the person who has some admittedly evil trait or sinful habit. Moreover, it becomes specially sinful when the hatred is directed at some virtue that a person possesses, even when the enmity does not extend to the individual personally.
 
Is Hatred an act of the will or emotion?? :confused:

Reason I ask is because I made the mistake of watching :For Greater Glory. The movie is fine, its the content that has me severely unsettled. I CANNOT stand watching movies like these. I could barely stomach Schindlers List. This is too much. I cannot watch Priests getting hung, shot or otherwise. :(:bighanky::bighanky::bighanky: . I have a REAL short fuse when it comes to injustice. I get all cranked up. Meaning horrified, sad and very angry.

When I watch the scenes where Father was hung and the other federales were getting shot as well in the Church,I was horrified and My stomach clenched up. How do I know I hate them? Is it an act of the will like me saying “I will hate them”, because I WAS TRYYING VERY HARD to not hate, I was saying JESUS I TRUST IN YOU, and looking at the Crucifix. I dont want to hate or wish ill? Have I done so?

P.S, I didnt have as nearly as hard time watching PASSION OF THE CHRIST, reason being? because I Crucified Our LORD. I cant excuse or blame anyone else.
Brother, I have read a number of your posts on here. Please, trust me on this. You cannot use a message board as your spiritual director. You need to do the following things:
  1. Stop worrying. Relax. Enjoy a milkshake.
  2. Find a spiritual director, and listen to his advice. Do not question him. Be completely and totally obedient. Unless you KNOW he is telling you to do something that is WITHOUT DOUBT a sin, do not question him. Do not come on this message board or any other and say things like, “My spiritual director told me to do such and such. Is that a sin?” Rather, be completely obedient to him.
  3. Spend half as much time online as you do now. Eventually, cut it down even further. But for now, cut it in half. In the other half, read a good book. Play a sport. Play piano. Paint a picture. Do pottery. But, do SOMETHING! Idle hands are the devil’s playground.
I can sympathize with your struggle with scrupulosity. I see it all of the time. Frankly, it’s a better problem to have than total laxity when it comes to the spiritual life. But, it is still a huge problem. Judging from many of your posts, you are trapped in its vicious web. There is only one sure way that I know of to get free from this sickness, and that is to trust completely in your spiritual director.

I know you feel called to be a priest. You have a long time before, God willing, you will be ordained. So, don’t worry. That is plenty of time to overcome scrupulosity. But, you must overcome it. You cannot struggle with scrupulosity and be a good confessor. The two, I’m convinced, are mutually exclusive. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a sensitive soul, rather, you must have a sensitive soul to be a good confessor. But, if you truly want to serve the Church as a priest, you will find a good spiritual director, not a bunch of people whom you have never met posting on a message board. You will trust him, listen to him, and be obedient to him, and he will help you overcome this.
 
Im still unsure if hatred is an emotion? an act of the will? a CONCIOUS act of the will?

What is it? Give me laymans terms.

Is hatred a mortal sin?

How do I know I have hated? what are the “signs” and “symptoms”
 
What If I try to supress said feelings by prayer? Because watching this movie I was very disturbed, and to avoid gleeing in the deaths of even the federales, I said 'JESUS I TRUST IN YOU" or I turned away. ??

I know this board isnt my spiritual director, but my spiritual director is very hard to get to. He is busy on sundays and that is the most likely time that I could see him.
 
Is Hatred an act of the will or emotion?? :confused:

Reason I ask is because I made the mistake of watching :For Greater Glory. The movie is fine, its the content that has me severely unsettled. I CANNOT stand watching movies like these. I could barely stomach Schindlers List. This is too much. I cannot watch Priests getting hung, shot or otherwise. :(:bighanky::bighanky::bighanky: . I have a REAL short fuse when it comes to injustice. I get all cranked up. Meaning horrified, sad and very angry.

When I watch the scenes where Father was hung and the other federales were getting shot as well in the Church,I was horrified and My stomach clenched up. How do I know I hate them? Is it an act of the will like me saying “I will hate them”, because I WAS TRYYING VERY HARD to not hate, I was saying JESUS I TRUST IN YOU, and looking at the Crucifix. I dont want to hate or wish ill? Have I done so?

P.S, I didnt have as nearly as hard time watching PASSION OF THE CHRIST, reason being? because I Crucified Our LORD. I cant excuse or blame anyone else.
A little self-censorship goes a long way.

You have found out something about yourself. I found out something similar about myself a long time ago. For my own peace of mind, I decided to find out a little about the subject matter of TV and movies before I watched them. I learned to skip things I thought would be upsetting; later on, I gave up on TV and movies altogether.

I no longer watch them. They are by turns, perverted, boring, depressing, irritating, condescending, stupid, vile, evil, ignorant, mindless, anger-provoking, lust-provoking, and a host of other negative characteristics I do not care to list. Do yourself a favor, refrain from watching them and thereby supporting the people who make them. You will be better off, and so will the world for the lack support given these failed industries.
 
Brother, I have read a number of your posts on here. Please, trust me on this. You cannot use a message board as your spiritual director. You need to do the following things:
  1. Stop worrying. Relax. Enjoy a milkshake.
❤️
I happen to be enjoying a milkshake at this very moment. It is delicious. 😃
 
Please, please do as Buc_Fan33 has suggested.

It breaks my heart to always see you in such turmoil. I will be praying for you.
 
Emotions, in and of themselves, are not sins. Every sin is a knowing choice of the free will, a choice of an immoral act. Strong emotions, even anger or the detestation of horrible acts, are not sins. Anger would be a sin, if it was unjust and deliberately willed. Detesting grave injustice is not hatred, nor is it necessarily immoral.
 
Im still unsure if hatred is an emotion? an act of the will? a CONCIOUS act of the will?

What is it? Give me laymans terms.

Is hatred a mortal sin?

How do I know I have hated? what are the “signs” and “symptoms”
I’m pretty sure, having read De Anima, and having read Aquinas on Love, that hatred is probably both an emotion and an act of the will because willing and feeling are pretty connected (though distinct). Firstly, love is an emotion, therefore the opposite (hatred) must be generically the same, so it is an emotion. Secondly, one can will to feel an emotion and insofar as that is true, the emotion is voluntary.

I wouldn’t be worried about hating someone who did wrong: that’s natural, for Aquinas said (I’m pretty sure) that love is the per se cause of hate (whatever you like, you necessarily dislike the opposite).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top