Have I committed a mortal sin? On pro-abortion politicians

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paxvobis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should not abortion be an exception policy and not a choice to take lightly? Being pro-life does agree with this exception policy. Pro-choice, on the other hand, does not underscore this exception policy and invites a policy of abortion for convenience. Politically, the pro-choice activists changed the name to exclude the term abortion for apparent reasons. Practically, the pro-choice movement has invited the slaughter of millions of babies every year. The level of travesty of this situation should make it clear that voting for a pro-abortion candidate should absolutely be considered a mortal sin no matter what other position that candidate may support.
 
There’s nothing to rethink. If the choice comes down to the life of the woman or the unborn child, my church grants the woman to choose her right to live. A total ban on abortion would not allow a physician to honor this request. A total ban on abortion would deny an Orthodox Christian woman the right to save her own life. No other religion has the right to impose that on a woman in my religion.
Are you speaking of a ectopic pregnancy? If so, there is no physical way the child would survive in the tube. Nor will the woman who has the ectopic pregnancy. They induce labor, on the pregnancy, causing the already dead child to be born. I say already dead because it would be inevitable.

As for a full term abortion, there’s a different matter. This is an intrinsic evil.
 
Are you speaking of a ectopic pregnancy? If so, there is no physical way the child would survive in the tube. Nor will the woman who has the ectopic pregnancy. They induce labor, on the pregnancy, causing the already dead child to be born. I say already dead because it would be inevitable.

As for a full term abortion, there’s a different matter. This is an intrinsic evil.
Dominique, the poster you addressed cannot respond to you, as he has been banned.
🙂
 
Nate, by the way, President Reagan asked for and received 14 increases to the debt limit during his term. And GWB spent trillions on wars and tax cuts which were NOT funded and increased the deficit. Did you complain about that when Bush did it? We’ll be paying for the Iraq war and the Bush tax cuts for decades to come. And 99% of the tax cuts went to the wealthy; the rest of us got a few scraps that fell from their tables. And, after the rich and the corporations got their tax cuts, they did NOT create any jobs. Millions of jobs were lost under the Bush administration. Did you complain about that when it occurred? I think not.
I like how your writing style has changed DRAMATICALLY!!! I’d go out on a limb here and say that you are trying to sway people to vote for Obama and that there are multiple people using this jrgiancola account.

Don’t bother writing anymore. I see right through you.
 
Dominique, the poster you addressed cannot respond to you, as he has been banned.
🙂
Okay. Thanks. 🙂 This poster’s writing style changed quite a bit! I think this was more than one person writing on that account. I’ve some experience in this… seen it before on this site, sadly.
 
In my church, the Orthodox Christian Church, abortion is not immoral when used to save the life of the mother. It IS a grave sin in all other circumstances. If the government bans all abortion, it denies me and other Orthodox Christians the choice our faith provides us. We have a First Amendment right to freely practice our religion, as does every other religion. I support candidates who try to accomplish what Jesus commanded us to do: Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, care for the elderly, poor and widows, etc. Only the Democrats consistently enact legislation that achieves these commands of Jesus. The primary focus of the Orthodox Christian Church is to : Love God and Love your neighbor as yourself. All of its activities are geared to fulfill these two commandments.
This is more rationalizing that reasoning. It is not correct to state that the Church allows direct abortion to save the life of a mother, but only as an indirect consequent when the mother’s and the child’s live’s are at stake.

It is also not true that the choice is between banning or allowing all abortions. There are all kinds of intermediate possibilities. Claiming that banning abortion denies your First Amendment right to have one, is nonsense. One could justify killing another person using the same argument.

The argument would go like this:

The law against killing someone else, prevents me from killing another person in self-defense. I have a First Amendment right to protect myself from a threat to my life from another person, therefore a law that prohibits killing infringes on my right to protect myself.
I will vote only for candidates that do not prohibit me from killing others.
 
Hello,

About two months ago, I read a document written by then-Cardinal Ratzinger about the worthiness of Catholics who vote for pro-abortion candidates to receive Holy Communion. Here it is.

The gist of the document is that Catholics cannot vote for a pro-abortion candidate when a pro-life candidate is available under pain of grave sin absent “equivalent reasons.”

I’m not old enough to vote, but I’m a Democrat from a family of Democrats, and so I dismissed this by rationalizing to myself “Well, most Republicans do support abortion in some circumstances, so they’re ‘pro-abortion’” and put it on the back burner, so to speak. But recently, I’ve been worried about it.

While I’ve been against abortion personally since my reversion, I’m now wondering whether my dismissal of this document was a mortal sin.

Thanks.
There are pro-life Democrat politicians, although far and few between. But, the Senate and Congress have a few pro-life Democrats. It is true, however, that the Democratic party’s platform is typically pro-abortion.

I disagree with your statement that “most Republicans do support abortion in some circumstances.” Many do, and many don’t. You have to look at each politician, their stance, and their voting record. Sometimes they say they are pro-life and their voting record shows them to be about 50-50 on the issue. Then, you have those who say that they are against abortion except in cases of rape and health, but their voting record is 100% pro-life - both Democrat and Republican.

In the case of the presidency, Ryan has a 100% pro-life voting record. Romney has changed his position over time and is now consistently pro-life in his politics. Obama has a 0% pro-life voting record. Biden has a mixed voting record, but is predominantly pro-abortion.

We are not talking about "votes pro-life, but voted pro-abortion on one vote). The current president has NEVER voted pro-life in his entire political career. Political party doesn’t matter. What that candidate has done in office does.

So, trying to justify a vote for a pro-abortion candidate by saying, “oh, the other candidates are a small portion pro-abortion, probably, so voting for a highly pro-abortion candidate is okay and not a sin.” You couldn’t be more wrong. We must choose the lesser of the two evils and go with the candidate that is mostly pro-life!

You might want to check out voting records of candidates here:

nchla.org
nrlc.org
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top