Have to put my cat to sleep

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luvz2travel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Luvz2travel

Guest
I feel it’s for the best but it’s still like a spear in the heart. I have another cat but one animal can never replace another. He’s got multiple health issues that can possible be resolved but only for a very short time. He’s 15 years old and not wanting to see him suffer through more flare ups that are sure to happen I’ve decided to let him go. I will miss him a lot though.
 
:hug1: I’m so sorry Luv2travel! Parting with a pet is always hard. I’m sure you brought much happiness to your cat and that he had a better life thanks to you. I will be praying for God to watch over and care for the both of you. To help you heal in this time and to help your cat find peace.
 
That’s awful to hear. You have my sympathies, Luvz2travel. My own Richard passed away not so long ago, also needed an injection. Cherish the good memories. I wish there were ways to avoid those injections but there don’t always seem to be.
 
I feel it’s for the best but it’s still like a spear in the heart. I have another cat but one animal can never replace another. He’s got multiple health issues that can possible be resolved but only for a very short time. He’s 15 years old and not wanting to see him suffer through more flare ups that are sure to happen I’ve decided to let him go. I will miss him a lot though.
This must be so very hard for you. I am sure you are making the decision that is best for your poor cat. I am so very sorry. Prayers for you both. May God bless you both and give you comfort.
 
I feel it’s for the best but it’s still like a spear in the heart. I have another cat but one animal can never replace another. He’s got multiple health issues that can possible be resolved but only for a very short time. He’s 15 years old and not wanting to see him suffer through more flare ups that are sure to happen I’ve decided to let him go. I will miss him a lot though.
My heart goes out to you, and I know all too well how you feel. Once a cat is gone, they can never be replaced. Each cat has his/her own personality.

Time does heal all wounds. If you think that the other cat you have would be receptive, it would help if you got yourself a kitten. You know how kittens can keep you busy!!! 🙂
 
I’m sorry to hear this sad news. I have a cat of my own that is getting up in years and this is the one thing I’m really worried about - how I will take him dying.

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
So very sad. We have a kitty with some medical issues, and she is ten years old. For her, the sun rises and sets on my husband, and he just loves her to death. I know that she probably has only a couple years left, and I occasionally remind him that soon she will pass. I know it will be so very very difficult for him.

I’ve had to put down a very special kitty before - and I stayed with her the entire time, holding her paw, and wrapping her in one of my bath towels that smelled of me so she did not feel alone. It was so incredibly difficult, but I could not leave her to die alone.

Oh my heart goes out to you. 😦

I pray we will see our precious pets in heaven.

~Liza
 
Yes, it hurts, but you are doing the compassionate thing for your cat.

God is good for having given you a pet you enjoyed all those years.
 
😦

It’s so hard to let our furry friends go. What’s best for them doesn’t always make us happy.
 
while some won’t agree with my words, i believe one of the most compassionate gifts we can give our pets is making the decision of when to let them go and actively make that happen.

we had to do it a couple of years ago. we too have another (and had him then) but nobody, NOBODY can replace my S-man! he was my buddy and truly special to us both. he came to us in the first year of marriage, when things were really tough and rocky, he came to us (he showed up in my parent’s yard) and suddenly, our focus was on him and off of our petty arguments!

i still miss him, and you will miss yours, every day. time will pass and suddenly the hurt will be less and you will start to smile in the memories. it will come. in the meantime, i suggest you google 'the rainbow bridge for pets" and print that off. it was comforting to me big-time!

lastly, one gentle gift our vet gave us was a pawprint that they did of him in a clay cast (similar to the ones for baby’s handprints) with his name across the top. it was awesome and i did a shadow box of it with his picture. what was a very painful item to receive (they made it when we took him to put him down and gave it to us that day) has become a warm memory of our favorite little friend.
 
I feel it’s for the best but it’s still like a spear in the heart. I have another cat but one animal can never replace another. He’s got multiple health issues that can possible be resolved but only for a very short time. He’s 15 years old and not wanting to see him suffer through more flare ups that are sure to happen I’ve decided to let him go. I will miss him a lot though.
Oh I am so sorry!!! It is painful to lose such a long-time friend.

:imsorry::grouphug:
 
while some won’t agree with my words, i believe one of the most compassionate gifts we can give our pets is making the decision of when to let them go and actively make that happen.

we had to do it a couple of years ago. we too have another (and had him then) but nobody, NOBODY can replace my S-man! he was my buddy and truly special to us both. he came to us in the first year of marriage, when things were really tough and rocky, he came to us (he showed up in my parent’s yard) and suddenly, our focus was on him and off of our petty arguments!

i still miss him, and you will miss yours, every day. time will pass and suddenly the hurt will be less and you will start to smile in the memories. it will come. in the meantime, i suggest you google 'the rainbow bridge for pets" and print that off. it was comforting to me big-time!

lastly, one gentle gift our vet gave us was a pawprint that they did of him in a clay cast (similar to the ones for baby’s handprints) with his name across the top. it was awesome and i did a shadow box of it with his picture. what was a very painful item to receive (they made it when we took him to put him down and gave it to us that day) has become a warm memory of our favorite little friend.
Oh wow, what a blessing that vet’s office is!!! I have never heard of this being done, and it would really make the tears run at first, but it would be a keepsake and a treasure once the heartache had faded a bit.

:bighanky::sad_bye:
 
I’ve had to do it three times (two cats and one dog). It was by far the hardest decision I ever had to make, but I made it with the knowledge that what I was doing was the best decision I could make with all the information that I had at the time and with the knowledge (with my dog) that I had done everything possible to ensure her quality of life (the cats, too; but with them there were no real options whereas the dog had some health issues that were treatable up to a point).

So hugs for you at this time. I cried for three days with each of my animals, but eventually you just laugh remembering the joy they brought to your life.
 
Luvz2travel,

I am so sorry. As a cat owner and animal lover I can appreciate how hard this is.
May God bless you and bring you peace.
 
I feel it’s for the best but it’s still like a spear in the heart. I have another cat but one animal can never replace another. He’s got multiple health issues that can possible be resolved but only for a very short time. He’s 15 years old and not wanting to see him suffer through more flare ups that are sure to happen I’ve decided to let him go. I will miss him a lot though.
I saved this prayer as I knew I would need it again and again. I hope it gives you some comfort when the time comes.

“Eternal Father, we bring you our grief in the loss of [name of pet] and ask for courage to bear it. We bring you our thanks for [name of pet] who lived among us and gave us freely of his/her love. We commit our friend and companion [name of pet] into your loving hands. Give us eyes to see how your love embraces all creatures and every living thing speaks to us of your love. Amen.”
 
I am sorry for your grief 😦

As an adult I’ve had two cats pass away in my care. One I assisted with medicine, the other I let die naturally. The one I assisted was 18 years old and on her last “nine life”. I could have waited for nature to take it’s time, but MY heart couldn’t take it. I realized before I ordered the medicine, that this was more for my benefit than my cats. Still, I was weak & wanted to be there for her last breath.

I let my boy cat die naturally when he was only 7. He was a Tonkanese & had a weak heart which we suspect was destroyed by that food from China with poisoning. He was so young, we were a bit in denial, and wanted to give him every chance. His last hours he crawled around searching for me. It was like he was running from the angel of death who was being merciful allowing me to comfort him. When he died (7 Am) he fluffed all his hair. I went to Mass from there.

Now I see how these two experiences help me view euthanasia. Hope I get it right when it’s my time to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top