Have to Vent-Ghosts and Kids

  • Thread starter Thread starter SurlyMermaid
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t argue with my stepson’s mom that things have been really, really bad since we moved into this house. As soon as we bought it our relationships with one another have imploded. That, to my stepson, is a point in favor of supernatural weirdness.
I expected pieces of the ceiling falling 2 inches from your feet several times, a lamp that is completely unplugged catching fire, lights turned on and off when there is no one around…

But arguments over all sorts of things after you’ve just bought a new home together are perfectly normal and not a sign of anythink supernaturally weird.
Next time if your stepson mentions this try to explain to him that buying a house is a stressfull process and a very big decision with long-term effect on many other things, and that is why people tend to be high strung and are more likely to take it out in the wrong place.
See, perfectly rational. 🙂
 
I expected pieces of the ceiling falling 2 inches from your feet several times, a lamp that is completely unplugged catching fire, lights turned on and off when there is no one around…

But arguments over all sorts of things after you’ve just bought a new home together are perfectly normal and not a sign of anythink supernaturally weird.
Next time if your stepson mentions this try to explain to him that buying a house is a stressfull process and a very big decision with long-term effect on many other things, and that is why people tend to be high strung and are more likely to take it out in the wrong place.
See, perfectly rational. 🙂
No doubt!!! 🙂
 
Here’s the plan, friends:

Our parish is sending someone over, when Junior is here. One of the priests is going to bless the house, per my wonderful MIL’s suggestion. (Love you, Mom!!! ❤️) Hubby is great with this. We get to help calm my boy’s fears while not compromising nor giving complete credence to his mother.

My seven year-old, a very spiritual and intuitive gal, picked up on some conversation from her stepbrother. She has been making sure we do Catholic prayers from her little prayer book. Her stepbrother has been interested and she is teaching him things, such as the guardian angel prayer. (Stepson’s mom never said his stepsister couldn’t do Christian things with him.) My daughter also taught him to memorize Joshua 24:15, one of her favorite verses.

Hoping this goes well. 🙂
 
Here’s the plan, friends:

Our parish is sending someone over, when Junior is here. One of the priests is going to bless the house, per my wonderful MIL’s suggestion. (Love you, Mom!!! ❤️) Hubby is great with this. We get to help calm my boy’s fears while not compromising nor giving complete credence to his mother.

My seven year-old, a very spiritual and intuitive gal, picked up on some conversation from her stepbrother. She has been making sure we do Catholic prayers from her little prayer book. Her stepbrother has been interested and she is teaching him things, such as the guardian angel prayer. (Stepson’s mom never said his stepsister couldn’t do Christian things with him.) My daughter also taught him to memorize Joshua 24:15, one of her favorite verses.

Hoping this goes well. 🙂
Wonderful news! I’ll be praying for you all. Please keep us posted as you are able.
 
Talked to his mom and we agreed to reinforce that no more “rituals” or trying to speak to the dead are going to go on in this house. The minister is coming this week to bless the home, the bedroom, and the child, with his mother present.

Will keep you posted. 🙂
 
Not to alarm you but it’s always been my belief that’s it’s best not to mess with such things as spirits because most likely they are demons mascarading as something else. My best advice would be to pray for this poor kid. Many will laugh but as a kid of around five I saw something that sent me down the wrong path for many years and only understood it was likely something evil vs something good several years later. Demons in my opinion will try to take advantage of children from time to time.
 
Glad to hear you are having your house blessed that is wonderful!

Years ago I thought ghosts were “nonsense” but learned that the Catholic church teaches they are very real. If a child beleives they are seeing something especially after Pagan rituals it could very easily be something demonic. Spiritual warfare is the way to go! God bless you!
I’m not sure if the Church has ever really clarified the existence of ghosts persay. I thought it was more that they recognized the existence of spiritual being such as demons or angels that might intercede in human life. If Spirits of those departed ever return to haunt venues I don’t think the church has fully answered that one. For anyone thinking of apparitions such as Fatima I would classify that as something entirely different. Just my 2 cents.
 
I don’t know what advice I can offer, but I’ve always been a pretty big scardy cat. It took me years to stop being afraid of the dark and even then if I saw something scary, like a commercial on TV for a horror movie, I often couldn’t sleep or would need a night light. I don’t believe in ghosts but I’m terrified I might be wrong and they could exisit, so all scary supernatural stuff is too much for me. When I was young I’d call my parents, usually my mom, to come sit with me and help me calm down before going back to sleep.

By the time I was 12 I would feel guilty and like I shouldn’t be so scared anymore. I took to praying every night to be calm and sleep well. I remember staying up all night sometimes praying for peace. I prayed to my guardian angel, St. Michael, my rosary multiple times, I’d hold my rosary clinched in my fist, I had a scapular I’d also clutch nervously. I actually despaired for many of my teenage years that God didn’t love me, because no matter how much I’d pray for peace and courage during the night I’d spend most of my nights in fear. If I could fall asleep and stay asleep I was golden, but if I woke up I was hopeless at getting back to sleep.

It actually took until college when I had a roommate to learn to sleep well at night consistently. If I could tell another living soul was in the room with me I felt better. When I went home on the weekends I still would have trouble but it was better. What really finally “cured” me so to speak, was getting a pet that stayed in my room. I had a pet rat in college and when I’d wake up nervous I could take comfort in his rat noises (drinking, eating, chewing) and fall asleep easily. So since that time I’ve always had pets.

I guess my point in this story is that you should find out what your son thinks would help him feel safe. And encourage him to know he is not alone, that many people get scared about things like ghosts despite their ages. Try to stay open as you work with him. If certain things you try don’t work, try new things and don’t get discouraged. It might just take awhile. 🙂
 
Well, I found out that the church clergy feel it would be inappropriate for my stepson’s Wiccan mother to be here during the blessing. She was very upset about this and chalked it up to the usual Christian judgment and not accepting others. I think I explained the Church’s position to her satisfaction. Not sure. My (lapsed) Catholic husband thinks this is all very stupid and I think he feels the house blessing will reinforce to my stepson that there are spirits.

Will let you all know how it goes this week.
 
Well, I found out that the church clergy feel it would be inappropriate for my stepson’s Wiccan mother to be here during the blessing. She was very upset about this and chalked it up to the usual Christian judgment and not accepting others. I think I explained the Church’s position to her satisfaction. Not sure. My (lapsed) Catholic husband thinks this is all very stupid and I think he feels the house blessing will reinforce to my stepson that there are spirits.

Will let you all know how it goes this week.
Why don’t they want her there for the blessing? Sounds like she needs it.
 
Not to alarm you but it’s always been my belief that’s it’s best not to mess with such things as spirits because most likely they are demons mascarading as something else. My best advice would be to pray for this poor kid. Many will laugh but as a kid of around five I saw something that sent me down the wrong path for many years and only understood it was likely something evil vs something good several years later. .
True that! I agree that they are demons masquerading as something else completely. I could be wrong, but whatever they are or wherever they come from, they do exist. I had something in my childhood home and have had many experiences. My brother saw an apparition in 1985, we all heard footsteps in the house (always at same time in the morning) chandeliers swinging, lights turning on an off, etc.

I have not experienced anything myself since late teens but this phenomena is real. I agree that praying and contacting the priest is good. Also, just my opinion, but I think it is okay to stand up and tell the entity/demon/ghost in the name of Jesus to get our of the house if you so choose.
 
Well, I found out that the church clergy feel it would be inappropriate for my stepson’s Wiccan mother to be here during the blessing. She was very upset about this and chalked it up to the usual Christian judgment and not accepting others. I think I explained the Church’s position to her satisfaction. Not sure. My (lapsed) Catholic husband thinks this is all very stupid and I think he feels the house blessing will reinforce to my stepson that there are spirits.

Will let you all know how it goes this week.
SO very glad you are getting the house blessed! Consider also keeping holy water in the house - you can keep the holy water the priest uses for the blessing in any clean plastic/glass jar (just mark it well!!)

We use it to bless ourselves on the way out of the house mostly. But I have blessed the children and sprinkled a bit on their pillows when they had bad dreams/ trouble sleeping when they were younger.

St Teresa of Avila used it frequently to keep demons at bay when the devil attacked her. She is quoted as saying that holy water was the best method to be rid of demons (ghosts)!

Praying for your entire family this week!
 
Surprised in this entire thread no one’s mentioned one thing that could be really helpful -

HOLY WATER!

Seriously - it could protect him, he could use it without even having to mention it to his mom, and it would be something you could start doing immediately while you hash out the details of the bigger “interventions.”

Re his mom being there when the priest is - the priest is probably concerned she might try to block what he’s doing or argue against it. Pray that she will let this go ahead without her. The child needs help.

Pray to St. Michael also. God bless you.
 
Surprised in this entire thread no one’s mentioned one thing that could be really helpful -

HOLY WATER!

Seriously - it could protect him, he could use it without even having to mention it to his mom, and it would be something you could start doing immediately while you hash out the details of the bigger “interventions.”

Re his mom being there when the priest is - the priest is probably concerned she might try to block what he’s doing or argue against it. Pray that she will let this go ahead without her. The child needs help.

Pray to St. Michael also. God bless you.
look at the last post 😉
 
And blessed salt. Season his food with it - it’ll be better than a medal, because nobody will be able to find it or take it away from him. 😉

I put one grain on each child’s tongue just before bed - it keeps the nightmares away, and they sleep right through 'til morning. 🙂
 
And blessed salt. Season his food with it - it’ll be better than a medal, because nobody will be able to find it or take it away from him. 😉

I put one grain on each child’s tongue just before bed - it keeps the nightmares away, and they sleep right through 'til morning. 🙂
This sounds superstitious to me. Just my opinion but it doesn’t seem to be the way sacramentals are meant to be used.
 
look at the last post 😉
That’s wild - I think our posts must’ve crossed in cyberspace! :compcoff: Well, Miss Sally’s got in just ahead of mine so :tiphat: to her!

I may have to try that salt myself for peaceful dreams.:yawn:

Surlymermaid, your family will be in my prayers!
 
That’s wild - I think our posts must’ve crossed in cyberspace! :compcoff: Well, Miss Sally’s got in just ahead of mine so :tiphat: to her!

I may have to try that salt myself for peaceful dreams.:yawn:

Surlymermaid, your family will be in my prayers!
I think you were typing at the same time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top