Have you ever gone to a non Catholic church service?

• Thread starter Thread starter Moosebreathh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I wanted to mention I recently attended a Jehovahs Witness memorial service for my wife’s step grandpa, the only jehovas witness in the family who married in. It was nice, but I went in knowing nothing about JWs, and was exposed to a deep, scripture supported sermon on soul sleep and eternal paradise on Earth, which I didn’t even know was a thing before that. They have a unique take on scripture.

I was talking about the non-denominational thing neither of us had a tie to.

But just to clear up any misunderstanding (because it’s easy to forget people on the internet don’t know anything about me), my wife’s parents split when she was very young: She was raised by her Catholic mother, even if she didn’t practice much after her first communion.

Her brother’s baptism was her first Baptist service as well. Her dad never tried to bring her into his faith. I can see how what I said might come off as cruel without that info. It’s not like she had some strong connection to the Baptist religion that I was tearing her away from. That’s not something I would have done.

Yes, including Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Baptist (the original English variety who bear little resemblance to most of the ones found in the US), Quaker, Pentecostal, United Reformed, Methodist, various non-denominational evangelicals.

Anglicans do good liturgy and sometimes good sermons (I am talking about the High Church variety, not the evangelicals, but also not the extreme Anglo-Papalists who are like a pastiche of 19th-century Catholicism).

Quakers are very nice people, but their services seemed very boring to me. Literally nothing happened when I went. I guess they are quite similar to some of the contemplative orders in the Catholic Church.

In general, I don’t get on with Pentecostal/evangelical churches. For one thing, I can’t cope with the service format: worships songs accompanied by guitars, drums, and whatever else is available plus waving banners, waving hands in the air, etc. (approx. 1 hour), sermon, which is usually the metaphorical equivalent of being struck about the head with a Bible (approx. 1 hour), prayers, testimonies, and people manifesting gifts of the Holy Spirit, e.g. falling over (approx. 1 hour), and finally an offer that anyone wanting to accept Jesus Christ as their personal lord and saviour/give their life to Jesus/let Jesus into their heart right now should come up to the front of the church to be prayed over.

Eastern Orthodox I have liked. I like the liturgy. Mostly I have been exposed to the Romanian Orthodox in London, who are the most welcoming and friendly people I have yet to encounter in a church. They don’t say, “You’re not one of us, go away”, but they also don’t say, “So, are you ready to convert to the Romanian Orthodox Church?” I was once passing their church in central London and wanted to take a friend in to look around. When we got there, there was a baptism taking place. There were a couple of Romanian men outside and I said of course we would go away and come back later when they weren’t busy. They wouldn’t hear of it. We could come in and see the baptism, take a look around. I remembered that the same thing had happened to me at a wedding in Bulgaria. They were very happy to have some visitors come in and have a look at the wedding and then look around the church. I’ve met a lot of Romanians and Bulgarians and they have always made a very good impression.

Quite a few - United Church of Christ, Assemblies of God, Free Methodist, and Baptist (both Southern and Independent fundy). Still, with all of these - no real presence of Christ in communion, something I cannot do without.

Yes soul sleep is a SDA teaching also. This counterdicts what saint Paul said."
To be absent from the body is being present with the Lord"

plus waving banners, waving hands in the air, etc. (approx. 1 hour), sermon, which is usually the metaphorical equivalent of being struck about the head with a Bible (approx. 1 hour), prayers, testimonies, and people manifesting gifts of the Holy Spirit, e.g. falling over (approx. 1 hour), and finally an offer that anyone wanting to accept Jesus Christ as their personal lord and saviour/
Yes to this group it’s a “party” and a program😜

I recently went to my cousin’s wedding. Her father is a Methodist preacher, so the ceremony was Methodist.

The building was nice, but I spent the entire time waiting for there to be singing… which there wasn’t. No pseudo-communion, either. Basically, I thought it felt empty compared to the Mass.

I know…that’s why I want to go to one! And yes, I am a bit weird!😂

Methodists are sort of bland. But cousins to Anglicans.

I’d suggest a good, orthodox, high church Anglo-Catholic Mass, for contrast.

I’ll add it my list. I certainly prefer high church services to low ones!

Yes it’s interesting to observe the difference and what people like in a religious ceremony

That is hilarious. There’s this meme on Facebook where Catholics love you at the sign of peace and shake your hand – then as soon as you get out of Mass cut you off on the road and flip you off lol.

Our homilies are too often dry toast. God please raise up several more Fulton Sheens! Anyway, I find myself listening to Fr. Mitch or whoever is on EWTN to get my preaching fill for the week.

Amen to that… And I’m still praying for that soul of that person in the casket whether they or their non-Catholic brethren like it or not lol.

Yep. Baptist services at truck stops and before my wife converted I have been to Lutheran services many times.

Yes…I’d been to quite a few before becoming Catholic…I’m not going to comment on what it was like as there are many devout committed Christians who attend those different churches…the only comment I will make is when I attend my Catholic church I can actually feel the presence of God because he is truly present in the Tabernacle…I understand the Orthodox church would be the same although I have never attended one.

I went a Greek Orthodox liturgy.

I have to say it felt less personal to me. Even though it’s flooded with icons everywhere, they keep the tabernacle kind of hidden in the back away from the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back