Have you set your hearts on the greater gifts?

• Thread starter Thread starter gusano
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
thistle:
You are wrong. You should re-read the original post. He did mention tongues.
For your benefit I’ll copy here what he said.

**Do all speak in tongues? all have the gift of interpretation of tongues? **
UNQUOTE
No, I am not wrong but please be my guest and print St Paul.
However, in fairness, post EVERYTHING St Paul had to say about the gift of tongues not just the one you like.

40.png
robertaf:
No, I am not wrong but please be my guest and print St Paul.
However, in fairness, post EVERYTHING St Paul had to say about the gift of tongues not just the one you like.
Two things.
  1. You are wrong when you said the OP did not mention tongues. I quoted his words to you so I don’t see how you can say he didn’t. It there for all to see.
  2. Its too long to quote Paul but my opinion which I will give is based on 1 Cor 14: 1-40.
    I believe that the “gibberish” which many charismatics say is “tongues” is fake.
    I believe that what Paul is talking about is the Holy Spirit’s gift to someone to enable them to speak a foreign language which is why an interpreter would be required (just like heads of state meeting who don’t understand each other’s language and they have interpreters with them to convey what has been said). If someone is in a Catholic group of say, English only speakers and starts talking to them or the Holy Spirit in Spanish then nobody will understand them so an interpreter is needed.
    All the gifts of the Holy Spirit are important and welcomed but for me the ability to speak other languages would be the least of the gifts.
If I could choose anything I would like to be able to bring many people to Christ through the Catholic Church.

40.png
thistle:
If I could choose anything** I would like** to be able to bring many people to Christ through the Catholic Church.
Thank you thistle,

There you have it.
The Gift of Evangelism.

listed in Eph. 4: 11-16
"It is he who gave apostles, prophets, evangeliste, pastors and teachers in roles of service for the faithful to build up the body of Christ…"

now you are speaking in the Same Spirit St. Paul speaks when he says…“I would like…”

because
" It is God who, in his good will towards you,
BEGETS in you any measure of desire or achievement."

Philippians 2: 13

Prayerfully pay attention to that Desire God is Begets in you.

May your life be rooted in the Love of Christ

gusano

40.png
gusano:
Thank you thistle,

There you have it.
The Gift of Evangelism.

listed in Eph. 4: 11-16
"It is he who gave apostles, prophets, evangeliste, pastors and teachers in roles of service for the faithful to build up the body of Christ…"

now you are speaking in the Same Spirit St. Paul speaks when he says…“I would like…”

because
" It is God who, in his good will towards you,
BEGETS in you any measure of desire or achievement."

Philippians 2: 13

Prayerfully pay attention to that Desire God is Begets in you.

May your life be rooted in the Love of Christ

gusano
👍

40.png
thistle:
You are wrong. You should re-read the original post. He did mention tongues.
For your benefit I’ll copy here what he said.

**Do all speak in tongues? all have the gift of interpretation of tongues? **
UNQUOTE
That is St Pauls words not the posters words. And the part about tongues, you have taken out of context.
The quote is from I Corin. Ch 12.

There are at least three different types of tongues, by the way.

I think there is a lot of false speaking in tongues nowadays. I can even make myself speak gibberish without the help of the Spirit. I think the Bible makes it clear that a genuine speaking in tongues involves speaking in another spoken language the person speaking is not familiar with. Apart from that, I think most speaking in tongues nowadays is a misguided pychological phenomenon.

Mark Robert:
I think there is a lot of false speaking in tongues nowadays. I can even make myself speak gibberish without the help of the Spirit. I think the Bible makes it clear that a genuine speaking in tongues involves speaking in another spoken language the person speaking is not familiar with. Apart from that, I think most speaking in tongues nowadays is a misguided pychological phenomenon.
Hi Mark Robert,
Do you have the Gift of tongues ?
or do you just pick all these “I think s” out of the air ?

Can you make a wide sweeping judgement like that AGAINST one gift the Holy Spirit offers ?

I think you are confused between “imagination” and TRUTH.

one says : “I think”
the other says; “I know from experience,” confirmed by the Church and By Scripture.

The One True Faith always leads us to the Truth…
not merely academically, but Experientially, with Good Fruit.

Peace

gusano

[/quote]

God has sown that seed in you,
Now you must WATER IT
and He will give it Growth .

👍

gusano

I would rather that the Good Lord give me an opportunity to use the gifts that He has already given me.

DaveBj

40.png
DaveBj:
I would rather that the Good Lord give me an opportunity to use the gifts that He has already given me.

DaveBj
Hi DaveB,

Are you saying The Good Lord has already given you Gifts
but,
He has
not
given you any opportunities to USE THEM ?

:rolleyes:

That is odd !

gusano

Speaking in tongues is a gift. I do not have that gift, but I don’t doubt that others do. I have no reason to believe that they are faking just because I’m not able to do it.

Wow this was bizarre to read, but insightful.

Me I just pray “Lord let me hear, listen, understand and do what you want”. I try not to set MY heart to a gift other than in accord to God’s will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back