Having a Host for private adoration

• Thread starter Thread starter WanderingCathol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WanderingCathol

Does the church allow catholics to keep the Host for private adoration?

I have a friend that converted a room in his house into a private chapel and has a beautiful monstrance with an eucharistic Host in it.

No, the Church does not permit private reservation of the Sacrament, except in extraordinary circumstances and through episcopal approval. (I have never heard of such permission actually being granted.)

If your friend has a consecrated host in his tabernacle, I’m guessing that it isn’t there because he somehow wrangled permission from the bishop. Probably he got the host in the hand at Mass and, instead of consuming it, took it home.

If this indeed is what happened, it was highly illicit. Your friend should consume the host immediately and put away thoughts of having a private chapel.

If he does not take such steps, report the matter to the bishop directly.

Karl Keating:
No, the Church does not permit private reservation of the Sacrament, except in extraordinary circumstances and through episcopal approval. (I have never heard of such permission actually being granted.)

If your friend has a consecrated host in his tabernacle, I’m guessing that it isn’t there because he somehow wrangled permission from the bishop. Probably he got the host in the hand at Mass and, instead of consuming it, took it home.

If this indeed is what happened, it was highly illicit. Your friend should consume the host immediately and put away thoughts of having a private chapel.

If he does not take such steps, report the matter to the bishop directly.
Hi Karl,

That is exaclty how he came to have the eucharist in his home. I will call him and tell him to return it immediately or eat it.

40.png
WanderingCathol:
Does the church allow catholics to keep the Host for private adoration?

I have a friend that converted a room in his house into a private chapel and has a beautiful monstrance with an eucharistic Host in it.
Definitetly not kosher if you will excuse the mixed metaphor.

40.png
Emmaus:
Definitetly not kosher if you will excuse the mixed metaphor.
I know what you mean. He means well. He is very catholic. He says that he can’t go to his church because they are so liberal and that is why he converted a room in his house into a chapel.

Surely there is another parish nearby that he could attend that isn’t so liberal.

If he is not able to visit the Blessed Sacrament in a church, he could pray the prayer of Spiritual Communion:

Lord Jesus, I believe you are really present in the sacrament of the Eucharist. I love you above all else and I ardently desire to receive you into my soul. But since I cannot receive Communion at this moment, come at least spiritually into my heart. Stay with me, Lord, and never let me leave you.

Hope that helps.

I have a friend who received permission from the Bishop to build a private chapel. He has not done so yet, but he does have permission. I have seen the episcopal letter authorizing it. It is pretty rare, though.

Even if the church is decorated with rainbow flags the sacrament is still valid and hence is the adoration. To put you out from your parish is not the best way to help and can lead to this stuff.

Also tell your friend to go to confession. I’m feeling bad ‘juju’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back