Having hard time reading Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter UnityofTrinity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnityofTrinity

Guest
I’ve been encountering difficulties reaidng Scripture. Sometimes I think the Biblical stories can become a bit too boring for me. Sometimes te literary style is just too difficult to read. I also encounter difficulties in reading because sometimes I read and I have no ideas what is the story talking about or what it supposes to teach me about God.

Many people told me to read and imagine, I tried, but it is hard 4 me to put myself in the scene. Can anyone help?
 
What version bible do you have? I think the American Standard Version is fairly easy to read. Also, I would start reading the new testament. It is more straight forward and I get more out of it. I hope this helps.
 
What version bible do you have? I think the American Standard Version is fairly easy to read. Also, I would start reading the new testament. It is more straight forward and I get more out of it. I hope this helps.
I’m using the NAB, yes. I’m also reading according to this plan: chnetwork.org/readguide04.pdf

However, some told me to read according to the Mass. I have never done this b4 so I’m a bit nervous, plus I want to read the whole Bible and I wonder if reading with Mass could help me read the whole Scripture.
 
I would also make use of the footnotes for passages that may be wordy, or use phrasing we are not as familiar with today. These also give you insight into the true meaning of things.
 
Go to www.salvationhistory.com which is the web site for Scott Hahn, and sign up for his free weekly email in which he explains the readings and Gospel for the coming Sunday. It will help you begin to understand.
 
There are 4 good ways you can truly invigorate your experience with the Word:
  1. Get a good study bible. One that has tons of note explaining what everything is about and that even throws in some history as well. Be warned though, these all give some form of interpretation that may or may not be entirely accurate. Still, it makes scripture more engaging. Just keep in mind to read scripture as scripture and take the notes with a grain of salt. Personally I have several sources I cross reference about things that are questionable.
  2. Don’t be afraid to write in your bible. I mean underline, highlight, scribble questions, scribble suppositions, even write expletives like: wow, or cool! This makes the experience of reading almost interactive. It’s also fun to go back years later and see what you might have been thinking at some point.
  3. Keep a journal. Write prayer requests or if there is just something that reading scripture inspires in you to get out, don’t be afraid to set the Bible aside for a few moments of reflection or prayer.
  4. Join a Bible study or start one. The same warning goes for these as for the study Bibles. Don’t hesitate to double-check “facts” and always be leery if someone claims something is “clear” or “obvious”. lol
Also, I’ve never been able to do it, but friends swear by the technique of setting aside a specific portion of every day to be with the Word. The morning is the best time, but as a mommy of toddlers, there is too much chaos too quickly for me to commit any specific amount of time.

Hope this helps.
 
I think prayer is key to being able to understand the bible 🙂

Also, i don’t think reading the daily mass readings will cover the entire scripture. It helps because it bounces around a bit, and covers different areas, so reading doesnt get “boring,” but i dont think it covers the entire bible… I could be wrong, tho…

Also, if there is a passage of scripture that is really puzzling or troubling you, don’t be afraid to post in the the Forums… We’ll be glad to help! 😉

God bless! 🙂
 
Try to find Jeff Cavin’s “Great Adventure” series - it is an excellent beginning for Bible study and understanding.
 
I’ve been encountering difficulties reaidng Scripture. Sometimes I think the Biblical stories can become a bit too boring for me. Sometimes te literary style is just too difficult to read. I also encounter difficulties in reading because sometimes I read and I have no ideas what is the story talking about or what it supposes to teach me about God.

Many people told me to read and imagine, I tried, but it is hard 4 me to put myself in the scene. Can anyone help?
Welcome and thank you for your honesty. I think we all start reading the Bible this way.

You’re exactly right. Those are the questions we all have. I can’t quibble with any of the preceding comments. Those are all things that people do who want to “get into the Word.”

One of my tricks is to look for short books in the Bible. I read these so that I don’t feel overwhelmed, even though the short books are really “deep” as any of the longer ones.

Another thing that has worked for me is to read commentaries. Commentaries can drag things out, too. You might not like them, they may not help you.

To keep this short, another way to learn about the Bible is to read books on Catholic spirituality. These are books written for an adult intellectual level. I haven’t gotten far into it, but I took a recommendation from somebody here and got Ralph Martin’s “The Fulfillment of All Desire.”

Truthfully, I have looked at a couple other books on spirituality and they seem to have a feature in common that I like. They will talk about a topic and bring in the verses from scripture that they want to discuss. So, this way, they filter out the majority of verses that may distract or confuse the issue.

I’ve noticed that there are books on discipleship – how to be a disciple of Christ. Or, there my be a focus on prayer or pure spirituality – getting closer to God. Or, like you say, Christian conduct – how does God want us to live our life. These are usually very focused on scripture, so it puts you in the ballpark.

I haven’t been especially attracted to writings of saints, for example, where the focus may not be as much on scripture as I would like.

I went to group scripture studies for a couple of years, until I got my own bearings and sense of direction about what I wanted to do with studying scriptures.

I think a guy by the name of Mike Acquilina has a book with a title something like 150 verses of scripture that you should be familiar with. I haven’t read it. It may or may not be something you like. But, for a long while, I compiled my own list of verses that were very important to me and were very inspirational. This may be a very handy thing for you to do – write your own list of 150 verses (or more) that really stick with you.

I’ve never tried a web search on “favorite verses from the Bible” but there may be something out there that is very meaningful for you.

Read Psalm 1, slowly. A book I have says it’s the key to understanding all the Psalms. If you’re not the blessed man (woman) of Psalm 1, the rest of the psalms may not make sense to you (this author says).

The blessed man of Psalm 1, first and foremost, is Jesus Christ.
 
The best advice I can give about reading the Scriptures is just to do it. Read a little bit every day, either with the plan you are now using or by reading with the daily Mass readings. Though you may not feel you are bringing away something profound every day, you can be sure that the Holy Spirit is planting some seed in your heart to sprout at a later, opportune time. Also, it will help you become more familiar with the text, language, order and variety of the Bible itself, will will make you more confident as you grow in your knowledge.

At the same time, I encourage you to find at least a semi-formal way of systematically *studying *the Bible, either by taking one of the recommendations offered by previous posters for the various Catholic Scripture studies that are out there, or finding a good Catholic study Bible or commentary. The more familiar you are with the historical, cultural and linguistic context of Bible passages, the more you will get out of it in your daily reading, helping you to picture it and so forth.

Don’t succumb to the temptation to use non-Catholic materials or join non-Catholic Bible study groups. There’s plenty of good Catholic material out there if you are willing to look for it. The people in these forums can help you with that too.

I have lots of other tips on my website for getting started reading the Bible from a Catholic perspective. Just click on the link below.
 
I’m using the NAB, yes. I’m also reading according to this plan: chnetwork.org/readguide04.pdf

However, some told me to read according to the Mass. I have never done this b4 so I’m a bit nervous, plus I want to read the whole Bible and I wonder if reading with Mass could help me read the whole Scripture.
If reading is hard, try a different bible. I would suggest the GNB/TEV translation. It’s super easy to read and church approved. I would also consider picking Strong’s concordance to look up the parts you don’t understand. 👍
 
I’ve been encountering difficulties reaidng Scripture. Sometimes I think the Biblical stories can become a bit too boring for me. Sometimes te literary style is just too difficult to read. I also encounter difficulties in reading because sometimes I read and I have no ideas what is the story talking about or what it supposes to teach me about God.

Many people told me to read and imagine, I tried, but it is hard 4 me to put myself in the scene. Can anyone help?
Try reading a different Bible. I would recommend a dynamic translation versus a complete equivalence translation. Read the Good News Translations (CEV) it is easy to read. Good luck
 
I’m using the NAB, yes. I’m also reading according to this plan: chnetwork.org/readguide04.pdf

However, some told me to read according to the Mass. I have never done this b4 so I’m a bit nervous, plus I want to read the whole Bible and I wonder if reading with Mass could help me read the whole Scripture.
If you’re new to Bible reading, don’t use the guide you linked. It’s a great guide but only after you have some familiarity with Scripture. Do not use it if you’re a first-timer. Why? Because I’ll bet you’re now in Leviticus and that just killed you.

I’d suggest using the Great Adventure reading plan developed by Jeff Cavins. It identifies 14 historical/narrative books that present you the story of salvation history. This makes it much more interesting. These books are:

Genesis
Exodus
Numbers
Joshua
Judges
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
1 Kings
2 Kings
Ezra
Nehemiah
1 Maccabees
Luke
Acts

Then you can go back and read the other books in context.

Further, if you’re also new, use an easier-to-read translation to get you started. The Today’s English Version a.k.a. Good News Bible is a highly dynamic-equivalence translation with an easy rendering. Once you’re more into your Scripture studies, you can move on to the RSV as your main Bible.
 
Thank you for all of your posts and advices. I decided to compose my own Bible reading plan. I’m only gonna read from one book perday, but I’ll divide the reading into genres like history books of Gospel. Each book gonna be divided to different days i.e Gospel is to be read on Sunday, while the Law is to be read on saturday. What do you think?
 
I’ve been encountering difficulties reaidng Scripture. Sometimes I think the Biblical stories can become a bit too boring for me. Sometimes te literary style is just too difficult to read. I also encounter difficulties in reading because sometimes I read and I have no ideas what is the story talking about or what it supposes to teach me about God.

Many people told me to read and imagine, I tried, but it is hard 4 me to put myself in the scene. Can anyone help?
Thinking the bible is boring is okay especially when you consider what the media has done to people. You can be helped. I understand what you are saying. As far as what bible to use I would say stick to the KJV. The important part is do you watch a lot of television/movies or listen to a lot of music with drums? This can really affect how you read and understand the bible.

Here’s something many people may consider watching even if you don’t watch television or movies. It’s called Battlefield Hollywood and the second link is called Escape from the Black Hole.

The links are part 1 and you can go from there. It’s also another version of both of them.

youtube.com/watch?v=2NRjc7ebbTE

youtube.com/watch?v=Fyrmrmn-DdM
 
Thinking the bible is boring is okay especially when you consider what the media has done to people. You can be helped. I understand what you are saying. As far as what bible to use I would say stick to the KJV. The important part is do you watch a lot of television/movies or listen to a lot of music with drums? This can really affect how you read and understand the bible.
The KJV is a Protestant translation that is missing seven books, parts of two others, and is based on inferior manuscripts. A Catholic should never use it as their primary Bible.
Here’s something many people may consider watching even if you don’t watch television or movies. It’s called Battlefield Hollywood and the second link is called Escape from the Black Hole.
The links are part 1 and you can go from there. It’s also another version of both of them.
These clips appear to be produced by the Seventh Day Adventist sect, a historically anti-Catholic organization founded in the 1800’s. At the end of the second, the speaker gives an erroneous interpretation of John 6 at odds with Catholic teaching. I would not recommend them to anyone.
 
Thinking the bible is boring is okay especially when you consider what the media has done to people. You can be helped. I understand what you are saying. As far as what bible to use I would say stick to the KJV. The important part is do you watch a lot of television/movies or listen to a lot of music with drums? This can really affect how you read and understand the bible.

Here’s something many people may consider watching even if you don’t watch television or movies. It’s called Battlefield Hollywood and the second link is called Escape from the Black Hole.

The links are part 1 and you can go from there. It’s also another version of both of them.

youtube.com/watch?v=2NRjc7ebbTE

youtube.com/watch?v=Fyrmrmn-DdM
I watch TV, but selectively. I hit the mute button on the remote during commercials. I like the few channels without commercials the best. No MTV or like that.

I also like re-runs more than original broadcasts. I turn off the TV frequently to read the Bible.

I’m addicted to eating, so I especially shun food programs and food commercials.
 
I watch TV, but selectively. I hit the mute button on the remote during commercials. I like the few channels without commercials the best. No MTV or like that.

I also like re-runs more than original broadcasts. I turn off the TV frequently to read the Bible.

I’m addicted to eating, so I especially shun food programs and food commercials.
It’s television. It’s “exciting” with lights flashing and quick moving.In better words, no matter what you watch, it’s hypnotizing. No matter what show or station, it puts principles in your mind whether you realize it or not. Please when you have a chance, watch those videos I gave you. They show how television affects the mind and how we read the bible.

More importantly, it makes you impatient to the point of not being able to sit down and focus.
 
Thank you for all of your posts and advices. I decided to compose my own Bible reading plan. I’m only gonna read from one book perday, but I’ll divide the reading into genres like history books of Gospel. Each book gonna be divided to different days i.e Gospel is to be read on Sunday, while the Law is to be read on saturday. What do you think?
How much time per day do you plan to put in? Because if you read a different genre every day you’re going to bounce around quite a bit.

Also, I would observe that there are different kinds of Bible reading - there is devotional reading as a form of prayer, there is reading as study, there is reading-to-finish-so-you-know-you’ve-read-the-whole-thing* - and different approaches (and sometimes, different translations) fit different purposes.

Also again - a lot depends on you and your familiarity with Scripture.

Having said all that, I would recommend you begin by reading the Gospels, not in order - Mark first, then Luke or Matthew, then John, then whichever one you didn’t read second. Then read Acts, 1 Corinthians, Ephesians and Romans. After this go back and read Genesis, Exodus and Numbers, then 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 Kings. Now spend some time in the prophets - Isaiah, Jeremiah, maybe Zechariah and Habakkuk. While you’re at this, also read the Psalms - one per day, maybe not at the same time as you’re reading the other books. By the time you’ve read this much you’ll be pretty well grounded. Go back to the New Testament and read Hebrews, then maybe start going back and forth between the other epistles and the minor prophets. Move through the remaining books of OT history, Deuteronomy and the other “writings” (Proverbs, Sirach, etc). Save Daniel, Ezekiel, and Revelation for the end - not just because they’re apocalyptic but because if you are familiar with other Scripture you will recognize a lot of the images and figures as you read them.

This is just my suggestion, obviously, but I think it would be manageable and allow you to increase your comfort with the reading as you move into more complex or denser books. And if you don’t finish, you’ll at least have read all the Gospels and the Psalms - a good foundation!!
  • If you really want to read the whole Bible without missing anything and without getting so discouraged that you give up, I highly recommend My Daily Catholic Bible from Our Sunday Visitor. I have the RSV-CE version, I believe it also comes in the NAB. Edited by Paul Thigpen, it is intended to take 20 minutes/day to read, with an OT and a NT selection each day. Although it begins with Genesis and ends with Revelation, the readings are NOT in order but the sections are broken up in ways that read sensibly. (You read through each individual book in order but the next book you start won’t necessarily be the next one in the Bible.) You could totally buy it next week and start reading on whatever day it is when you get it and then read through, just continuing on Jan 1 next year. Unlike some other “Catholic” Bible-in-a-year versions I’ve tried, this one actually incorporates all 46 books without requiring you to remember to flip to some other part of the book for the deuterocanonicals.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top