Having some doubts about The Real Presence

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nov1411
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nov1411

Guest
Does having doubts about The Real Presence count as grave matter?
I read that voluntary doubt of faith was a grave matter.
Would that be considered “voluntary doubt of faith” or would it be more heresy?
 
It’s not a sin to have doubts. But you should be seeking to resolve those doubts–through prayer and learning all you can about your Faith. If God knows you don’t want to have doubts and are asking Him to help you grow in Faith, then you are not doubting voluntarily. It would be a sin to have doubts and simply accept them and make no effort to dispel them. Even worse would be to tell others that you don’t believe in the Real Presence.
 
It’s not a sin to have doubts. But you should be seeking to resolve those doubts–through prayer and learning all you can about your Faith. If God knows you don’t want to have doubts and are asking Him to help you grow in Faith, then you are not doubting voluntarily. It would be a sin to have doubts and simply accept them and make no effort to dispel them. Even worse would be to tell others that you don’t believe in the Real Presence.
Thank you! You have no idea how much I appreciate this.
 
I highly recommend spending some time every week at an adoration chapel.

Whenever I find myself at times struggling with my faith then I go to the nearby parish that has perpetual adoration and I pray before the Eucharist. Just spend some quiet time there with our Lord.

It really does wonders.

God bless.
 
Thank you Nigel17. You gave the precise answer. So few people today go to adoration, even if it is once a week, and for a short time. It will always be a beginning. I would also suggest reading some Catholic book on the Miracles of the Holy Eucharist.
 
You might want to check into the results of a Eucharistic Miracle that occurred in Argentina in 1996. Part of the Host was sent to a lab in California. The findings are amazing and will move you. :signofcross:

The first Eucharistic Miracle happened in the 8th century in Lanciano, Italy. A priest, who also had doubts, was saying Mass when the Host bled. That Host and the one above were compared.
 
Thanks for the replies! I’ll try to get to adoration sometime this week. And I’ll look into those Miracles, too. Thanks again!
 
And consider praying for more faith and more humility on this topic.

Maybe offer these 2 intentions (faith and humility) as you pray the beautiful Adore Te Devote, say on each Thuursday, which was the day on which God gave us the Eucharist. Maybe think about the love there is in submission to God.

ADORE TE DEVOTE (St. Thomas Aquinas)

I devoutly adore you, O hidden Deity,
Truly hidden beneath these appearances.
My whole heart submits to you,
And in contemplating you,
It surrenders itself completely.
Sight, touch, taste are all deceived
In their judgment of you,
But hearing suffices firmly to believe.
I believe all that the Son of God has spoken;
There is nothing truer than this word of truth.
On the cross only the divinity was hidden,
But here the humanity is also hidden.
I believe and confess both,
And ask for what the repentant thief asked.
I do not see the wounds as Thomas did,
But I confess that you are my God.
Make me believe more and more in you,
Hope in you, and love you.
O memorial of our Lord’s death!
Living bread that gives life to man,
Grant my soul to live on you,
And always to savor your sweetness.
Lord Jesus, Good Pelican,
wash me clean with your blood,
One drop of which can free
the entire world of all its sins.
Jesus, whom now I see hidden,
I ask you to fulfill what I so desire:
That the sight of your face being unveiled
I may have the happiness of seeing your glory. Amen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top