Having Wandered Into Purgatory (SPLIT)

  • Thread starter Thread starter dbacks5439
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbacks5439

Guest
I see it now. Sorry, I was a bit confused there. I would now like to direct your attention to 1 Corinthians 15. Pay attention to verse 42 to the end of the chapter. This is a strong argument for the existence of Purgatory and why we pray for the dead, which is also explained in the first part of chapter 15. I’d like your thoughts please.
 
I’m not familiar with your idea of purgatory. I’d like to help, but I need to know where the problem is.
 
I’m not familiar with your idea of purgatory. I’d like to help, but I need to know where the problem is.
As Catholics, we believe that everyone who is saved and is going to Heaven must pass through the state of Purgatory. It is not a place, but a state in which our souls are purified and made holy. Some may misconstrue it as being a punishment. It is not. It is a state of suffering, but redemptive suffering, not punishing. The verses I showed you gives evidence that the early christians did believe in this. A look at 1 Cor. 13:10-15 is a more descriptive definition of purgatory, where our good gifts will withstand the fire, whereas our bad gifts, sins in this case, are burned up. Nothing impure can enter the Kingdom of Heaven. So read the verses I gave you and tell me what you think of them. Look forward to hearing from you!
 
I meant the whole 15th chapter of 1 Corinthians and verse 10-15 of chapter 3 of 1 Corinthians. All talk about purgatory and praying for the dead.
 
Did you read from the beginning to understand the context of the passage.
 
From what I have read in chapter 3 verses 10-15, all I can see is that he is talking about faith in Jesus Christ and man’s physical works vs. he’s spiritual works being tested on the last day.
 
From the beginning of Chapter 3? In that case, yes I have. Paul, in reference to verses 5-9, is talking about how we must do things in order to receive grace from God, hence our growing. Purgatory, as explained in verses 10-15, is the fire that reveals that grace and gets rid of the bad works, sin, so that we can be perfected and our sinful natures can be washed away.
 
dbacks5439 please inlighten me… are you talking about v.15??
 
dbacks5439: are you talking about the fallen asleep part?? sorry i am kinda slow i don’t see a connection could you explain it to me please? sorry i am new at looking at other religions. you guys are both over my head.
 
When Paul talks about the man jumping through the flames, it’s a metaphor to show that, as christians, our bodies and minds will take much damage and even be destroyed. Body=House. The man escaping is our spirit being saved from destruction. Spirit=Man. An ignorant man would not know to leave the worldly possesions behind and will receive his just punishment. But as christians, we knew that we need to leave the physical possesions of this world behind and only build on our faith. And because the point of this chapter is to settle the divions in the church. He is using the suffering of all christians to unite them.
 
oic thanks sooner dbacks5439 could you explin your point again i am sorry:o
 
dbacks5439: are you talking about the fallen asleep part?? sorry i am kinda slow i don’t see a connection could you explain it to me please? sorry i am new at looking at other religions. you guys are both over my head.
Ah, I am quite sorry. I hope I can help on your journey towards the Truth.
Code:
1 Cor. chapter 15 deals with the dead. In the Catholic Tradition, we believe that when a person dies, he/she is either sent to Heaven or hell. When one goes to Heaven, that person must first go through a state called Purgatory. People who are in this state are suffering, because parts of them are being removed, and others perfected. We pray for the dead that God may have mercy on them and that their time in purgatory is shortened, or at least as painless as possible. So Chapter 15 pretty much explains how we pray and why. 1 Cor. 3:10-15 details what exactly goes on in Purgatory. The fire is the means by which we are cleansed and perfected. As the bible says, nothing impure can enter Heaven. Therefore, we must be purified and made perfect, and this transformation is called Purgatory. 

 [1 Cor. 3:10-15](http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/1corinthians/1corinthians3.htm) and [1 Cor. 15](http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/1corinthians/1corinthians15.htm) Both are from the NAB (New American Bible)
 
This is further backed up in the next section (3:16-17) Where he say," Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple…" See the link between the house in the first part and the temple in the second.
 
and you say that the temple is destroyed in your interpretation of 1 Cor. 3:10-15?
 
yes i am familer with the chapters however, i just don’t see the word “purgutory”. so is this just a word (all do respect) cathoilcs made up?:confused:
 
yes i am familer with the chapters however, i just don’t see the word “purgutory”. so is this just a word (all do respect) cathoilcs made up?:confused:
The state of Purgatory is not made up, however we use the word Purgatory to describe it. Same way we use the word “Trinity” to describe the relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Bible doesn’t mention the word trinity, yet we use it.
 
Yes, it says that we are God’s temple on Earth and when we die it is destroyed. This body is just a “…dim reflection as in a mirror.” The most beautiful thing you could imagine in this life pales in comparison to the next. Paul isn’t saying anything about being cleansed. He’s trying to show them that there is no need for divion when we are all striving for the same goal. We are united in our suffering and our cause.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top