Hawai'ian Language Mass/Missal.. Exists?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keikiolu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keikiolu

Guest
Here’s a wacky question:

Does anyone know of a Hawai’ian language Catholic Missal…!?

I know,… a seriously weird question,… but I haven’t been able to find such an animal.

Any help would be more than extremely welcomed…! 🙂

Thanks in advance.

(( And no,… I’m not up to translating the english to the olelo hawai’i, thank you very much ! 🙂 ))

Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai ia oe. Aloha nui.
 
…{snip}…
Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai ia oe. Aloha nui.
Well, POO…!! 🙂

Nobody knows nuthin’ 'bout this particular problem, then…?

Bummer, dudes…!!

…apparently not a whole bunch 'a da brudda’s 'n titas out there interested in such things, eh…?

Oh well,… If anything occurs to ya’all, give me a “ring”.

Mahalo nui loa…!
 
Here’s a wacky question:

Does anyone know of a Hawai’ian language Catholic Missal…!?

I know,… a seriously weird question,… but I haven’t been able to find such an animal.

Any help would be more than extremely welcomed…! 🙂

Thanks in advance.

(( And no,… I’m not up to translating the english to the olelo hawai’i, thank you very much ! 🙂 ))

Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai ia oe. Aloha nui.
Contact the main Diocesan office in Honolulu, they should be able to help.
catholichawaii.org/

The Contact info is the top right of the page.
 
Keikiolu, are you Catholic? I am curious – why do you want a Hawaiian-language bible?

There seems to be very few Hawaiian-speaking Catholics in Hawaii, because the Catholic missionaries arrived in Hawaii much later than the protestant missionaries. People in Hawaii spoke English by the time the Catholic missionaries came…

There is no approved Catholic translation of the Bible as far as I know. There is a protestant bible. It has received subsidies from the federal government, the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and churches. I doubt that the translation of the Catholic bible will receive such support.

Click here: starbulletin.com | Features | /2006/10/14/
Click here: Baibala Hawaiian Bible

Perhaps you can call the bishop’s office to see if anyone is working on a translation of the Catholic bible.
 
I’m sorry – I just realized you asked about a Hawaiian-language missal, not bible. Again, call the bishop’s office to find out.
 
Keikiolu, are you Catholic? I am curious – why do you want a Hawaiian-language bible?
I’m “near” Catholic (RCIA starts this saturday!). 🙂

I’m interested in an olelo bible mostly just for “love of the language” reasons. Not that I speak Hawai’ian, much at all.
There seems to be very few Hawaiian-speaking Catholics in Hawaii, because the Catholic missionaries arrived in Hawaii much later than the protestant missionaries. People in Hawaii spoke English by the time the Catholic missionaries came…
Too true…!
There is no approved Catholic translation of the Bible as far as I know. There is a protestant bible. It has received subsidies from the federal government, the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and churches. I doubt that the translation of the Catholic bible will receive such support.

Click here: starbulletin.com | Features | /2006/10/14/
Click here: Baibala Hawaiian Bible

Perhaps you can call the bishop’s office to see if anyone is working on a translation of the Catholic bible.
I didn’t really expect to find a RSV-CE in hawai’ian, but thought I’d give it one last shot and see if the highly educated folks here might know of some resource.

Contacting the HI diocese sounds like the best possible resource. 🙂

Thanks again…!!

Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai ia oe. Aloha nui.
 
Aloha Keikiolu -

I went to Catholic schools and I destinctly remember having a Catholic priest coming to our class to do a lesson in Hawaiian! Fr. Damien surely spoke Hawaiian to his congregation. These resources do exist but must be dug out. I am interested in Catholic Hawaiian workship so please share your info.

Mahalo.
Makana
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top