head coverers?

• Thread starter Thread starter HSMomof3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HSMomof3

Why do you do it in a time when it seems to disappeared in most churches?:hmmm:

I have been drawn to the idea of wearing a mantilla or chapel cap to Mass and I was looking for other who do the same. :dancing:

I feel called to cover up :amen: - I went from wearing jeans to Mass to now waering longer skirts and more modest blouses. Although nothing I ever wore compared to some of the scant dress (and I am being generous with the word “scant”) I see every week, I know I was not setting the best example and not honoring God by not dressing to the occasion of being in the Presence of Christ.

JMJ,
Michaela
WWMD?

I remember as a young girl going to mass with my mama and having to wear what look like a doily top hair covering with a bobbie pin to hold it on. My mama was old school catholic and I liked that.

I see some older women in our church now still covering their heads today. I don’t and I don’t really have a reason.

My mama always told me God does not care what you wear to church as long as you go but she never saw what I see today either. I know back then too I never saw what I see young adults wearing today. I just don’t go for shorts and halters in mass. I think it is disrespectful. I can’t bring myself to even wear nice jeans and it has only been in the past years I wear dress pants.

You sound like you dress very nicely for mass.

Hi there!🙂

I recently started wearing a small veil to mass and to dress more modestly. I’m not quite comfortable with a full blown mantilla yet. Hopefully I can lead by example and get the ladies to actually dress like ladies, but here in SoCal trying to keep clothes on women is like trying to nail Jell-o to the wall…:tsktsk:

I am going to Latin mass next week and Im trying to convience my GF whoes going with me to wear one and she wont. Lol I cant force her or nothing but when she goes and sees one maybey shell turn to like the idea.

I told her If we every get married and have girls Im covering them and taking them to Latin mass, she had no problem with that though.

Read I Corinthians 11. St. Paul speaks about head coverings for women. I recently have started dressing up for church. For years I wore slacks, even jeans. And now I also either wear a chapel cap or a hat to Mass.

I wear a chapel cap and have been for about a year and a half. I don’t consider myself old (although I can remember when Pres. Kennedy was assasinated).

I wear it because:
  • it is an outward sign of my submission and humility before God
  • it is feminine and distinguishes male from female
  • it was never stated that it should NOT be done
  • I’m not ashamed of being orthodox
Wearing a head covering is humbling in its own way because I felt very self-conscious at first. However, as I’ve said in previous threads, I’ve not received one negative comment. My devotion to my faith is the core of who I am. I find it no different than wearing a crucifix or a wedding band. It is a sign of a deep devotion.

If you feel called to it, then by all means, do it. You will get used to it quickly, I’m sure.

(I got mine on- line from www.halo-works.com)

If you want to wear a head covering and are worried about feeling out of place, a good place to go is to a Traditional Latin Mass, if there is one in your area.

I attend an Indult Mass on Sundays, and have begun to wear a lace veil. I don’t feel out of place or self-conscious, because most of the other women also cover their heads.

I’ve discovered that I behave differently when my head is covered in church. I feel more reverent and respectful, and the Mass just seems that much more beautiful to me. Maybe you might feel the same way too. 🙂

I wear a hat. I have bad associations with ‘dressing up’ so I don’t dress up for anything! I have however gone from casual to nicer casual to Mass…I might very well gradually dress up more and more as time goes by.

I’m in the process of losing weight and I have no nice dresses or skirts at the moment and I don’t have the money to buy and discard as I lose more and more weight as I (hopefully) keep shrinking to smaller sizes. As soon as I reach my goal and stay there for a bit I’m going on a buying spree. 🙂

dream wanderer

I too have felt called to this - I assume it’s a devotion just like anything else? :confused:

In any case - where would one find these coverings? I’m a bit hesitant too because although I wouldn’t wear shorts, normal everyday wear to Mass, etc., I don’t know if I have the proper clothing to go with the covering. Especially being pregnant and with a toddler, I don’t know if I can wear what I could when I didn’t have the little one around, you know? My dresses and skirts are all cotton and while I think appropriate for Mass, I’m not sure it’s “dressy” enough for a headcovering. It would be like who am I kidding?

Thoughts??? Thanks!

40.png
Jennifer123:
I too have felt called to this - I assume it’s a devotion just like anything else? :confused:

In any case - where would one find these coverings? I’m a bit hesitant too because although I wouldn’t wear shorts, normal everyday wear to Mass, etc., I don’t know if I have the proper clothing to go with the covering. Especially being pregnant and with a toddler, I don’t know if I can wear what I could when I didn’t have the little one around, you know? My dresses and skirts are all cotton and while I think appropriate for Mass, I’m not sure it’s “dressy” enough for a headcovering. It would be like who am I kidding?

Thoughts??? Thanks!
I often wear a large scarf coordinating in color to my clothing. Wear it as sort of a shawl until service starts – slide it over my head until the final blessing, then back it goes as a “shawl”. Perhaps I’ve been too exposed to the Russian babushka tradition. . . but I find it comfortable.

40.png
Jennifer123:

Thoughts??? Thanks!
You can wear a simple chapel cap. I usually wear slacks to weekday Mass and a chapel cap goes just fine with slacks or a casual skirt. Try
www.halo-works.com

I cover my head with a small round veil, and I always wear at least a calf-length skirt to Mass and elbow-length sleeves. It’s just simple respect to to wear nice clothes, and I agree with what Condan said on the subject of head coverings:
  • it is an outward sign of my submission and humility before God
  • it is feminine and distinguishes male from female
  • it was never stated that it should NOT be done
  • I’m not ashamed of being orthodox

Only the little old Portuguese widow ladies in my parish wear veils. I would love to wear one but it would make me stick out and that would be contrary to the spirit of covering my head, imho.

I just recently met a group of orthodox women in my parish. Maybe if we all started veiling then those who were on the fence might start too.

I would love to wear one but it would make me stick out and that would be contrary to the spirit of covering my head, imho.
I would like to respectfully disagree with you. What if everyone at mass was wearing shorts and tank tops except you (wearing a modest dress). Would you be sticking out, or honoring God, by dressing appropriately for mass? We need not and should not cast aside tradition or appropriate attire to go with flow.

There’s not much I love more than seeing elderly widows wearing their veils and praying their rosaries. It inspires me. Thank God for those Portuguese ladies you mentioned. I doubt that they worry whether their head coverings make them stick out.
I just recently met a group of orthodox women in my parish. Maybe if we all started veiling then those who were on the fence might start too.
Sounds like a great idea. Good luck and God Bless!

I wear a veil at the TLM a few Sundays a month, and would like to be able to do same at daily Mass, but I think it would call unnecessary attention to myself…I KNOW it would since my fellow parishioners have seen me sans veil for quite a while. I’d like to be able to wear one.

JELane

Funny I came across this thread. I have always kinda thought about wearing a mantilla even though I know we do not have to anymore. I like the idea of doing it out of devotion and respect. I do like what a poster wrote that that’s what her reasons were. Excellent. I think I am seriously going to consider starting this devotion. 👍 Thanks!!!

Peace of Christ to you all!!

I’m a head coverer at Mass but it’s not for piety, but a semi-medical accident — I have female pattern baldness and have to cover my head almost whenever I go outside lest I get sunburn on my scalp, which is no fun!

The only time I have ever had troubles/questions/wierd looks about covering was not at any “ordinary” normative-Mass parishes, but when I visit at Tridentine communities, where they claim my crocheted berets and little cotton caps are disrespectful! :confused: I’ve learned to carry a chapel doily with me when I go visiting so I can change.

So, if you want to cover your head, go for it! 9 out of ten, nobody else will notice ---- unless your taste runs to monstrous hats with phony fruit, in which case, please sit towards the rear so no one has to try to see around you. 😃

karen marie

I read in a previous thread about the man who was distracted by a redhead until she covered her head in the TLM. I, too, am readheaded and my hair is long. I feel called to cover up when in the Presence of God and in prayer.

My first trial with this was at Saturday’s Mass. I made a small triangle out of ivory lace and tucked it behind my ears and at the back of my neck. It cost a total of $8 for 1/2 yards of lace so I made two large triangles also for more coverage.

ORA,
Michaela

I have decided to start to wear a mantilla. Is it inappropriate to wear black to regular mass, I am not sure if it’s just a funeral or mourning color? Is white just for brides…, I am drawn to black, any advice?? What color do I wear for what or does it matter??? Also, I’ve checked out halo-works.com are there any other good sites along with this one?? Thanks.

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back