head coverers?

• Thread starter Thread starter HSMomof3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Monicathree:
I have decided to start to wear a mantilla. Is it inappropriate to wear black to regular mass, I am not sure if it’s just a funeral or mourning color? Is white just for brides…, I am drawn to black, any advice?? What color do I wear for what or does it matter??? Also, I’ve checked out halo-works.com are there any other good sites along with this one?? Thanks.

Peace
I know there are others. Do a google search on headcoverings and Catholic.

I think any color is OK though stark white may be for the unmarried but i’m not sure. I personally wear black, cream or blue, depending on my outfit.

Hope this helps.

Katherine

i remember as a child, my mother had a long (hung down past the waste) black chapel veil, and a long white one as well… she also had the shorter ones too… i thought she looked beautiful if not very reverent and holy (remember, i was a child) when i would see her wearing them… i miss them… i wish they would come back into vogue… but, i certainly don’t want a referendum from Rome requiring them, i just thought they added to the solem but venerable appearence to mass… and i just felt it was a more appropriate attire… don’t really know why, just liked it… i guess maybe it’s a time that was less stressful, and the mention of it just takes me back… Peace! 👍

As a man I am very appreciative of chapel veils on women. I find women’s hair very beautiful, and when it is covered up it helps me in two ways: first it prevents me from being distracted, and second it is yet another reminder for me of what I am doing in church. Obviously I don’t need “reminders” but I just mean, it’s another visual clue, as is a statue, a stations of the cross, or a decorated candle. It helps my overall orientation. A third way it helps is that it communicates to me that the woman herself who wears a veil is also there for a specific purpose: to give glory to God, and is focused on that intent; hence to the extent that my mind would wander to considering the nice-looking women around me, I see the chapel veil and not only am prevented from indulging in much admiration but am reminded that she, herself, is not there to be admired. God’s gifts to us are very powerful, and sometimes we need to cover them up so we can focus on other things.

So to all women who wear chapel veils, may I just say, :tiphat:.

40.png
csr:
As a man I am very appreciative of chapel veils on women. I find women’s hair very beautiful, and when it is covered up it helps me in two ways: first it prevents me from being distracted, and second it is yet another reminder for me of what I am doing in church. Obviously I don’t need “reminders” but I just mean, it’s another visual clue, as is a statue, a stations of the cross, or a decorated candle. It helps my overall orientation. A third way it helps is that it communicates to me that the woman herself who wears a veil is also there for a specific purpose: to give glory to God, and is focused on that intent; hence to the extent that my mind would wander to considering the nice-looking women around me, I see the chapel veil and not only am prevented from indulging in much admiration but am reminded that she, herself, is not there to be admired. God’s gifts to us are very powerful, and sometimes we need to cover them up so we can focus on other things.

Some times less is more… 😃

but when I visit at Tridentine communities, where they claim my crocheted berets and little cotton caps are disrespectful! I’ve learned to carry a chapel doily with me when I go visiting so I can change.

They actually said something to you about your head coverings!
😦 thats mean. And not very charitable.
…I admire you for wearing something…I’ve worn mine before and need to do it again. 🙂

40.png
csr:

I never thought of it from a man’s perspective but it makes perfect sense, and seeing how much impurity there is these days, makes me more grateful for Jesus’ and St. Paul’s wisdom about headcoverings.

Oh My Goodness! What a sweet and wonderful surprise! After I had posted my question, I had checked for an answer a few times and there were none! that is…until now! In fact, what I was doing was searching the internet for a place to purchase more old mexican style head veils and I came across the thread to my question! :dancing:

Upon my re-version to the Catholic Church, I remembered that my grandma would always make me wear a hankerchief to church and if I didn’t have one, she would pull out a tissue and bobbypin it to my head! Therefore, I always believed in wearing it, and although NO ONE in my parish wears it, except for one lady I recently saw…I wear mine. And now, I wear it out of Love and Respect for the presence of Our Eucharistic Lord at the Altar. I wear it in humility and as a sacrifice! I too …recently began wearing long skirts, jumpers etc. on a daily basis. I gave up all of my pants and now even wear slips under my clothing! And I owe it all to Rita Davidson’s book “Immodesty Satan’s Virtue”. It totally turned my life around, and confirmed that wearing the head veil is a good thing!

God Bless You ALL and May We Continue to Persevere! And thank you ALL for your responses! I hope I was able to answer some of your questions as to why I wear mine!

In the arms of Jesus and Mary,
Lydia

Will the member by that goes by the name Condan, please contact Halo-works. I ordered a Mantilla today and they want to give you a 10% discount for the referral. Thanks for everyone’s help!

In the Holy Face of Jesus,
Lydia

I USE to wear a mantilla - but I stopped because my heart was not in the devotion, and it was a distraction for me.
I totally respect the women who do practice this devotion. And perhaps someday I will return to it.
My lady friends who wear the mantilla were disappointed in me when I stopped wearing it.
They wear black mantillas during lent. Then during Eastertide, they wear all colors. And also wear different colors and scarf/shawls during ordinary time.

Thanks for the male (name removed by moderator)ut on this (a few posts up). It’s interesting to see how a man views it. I came into the Church way past Vat II, so the head covering thing was new to me. I attended the indult Tridentine Mass for a few locally, and occasionally borrowed a “doily,” but generally didn’t wear anything. To me, those never seemed to cover enough of anything to be worthwhile, but I wasn’t really sure what the purpose was of women covering their heads. What did the Church teach about it? Stupid question, but if it’s a hair thing, why aren’t guys supposed to cover theirs, given that most women’s hair coverings only covers the tippy-top of the head. Is it because we’re not as visually oriented as men?

I swear I’m not trying to be difficult. I really don’t understand and would like to. By the way, I love the old Mass. It’d be awesome to have it for a Mass option at every parish! We had women at our Tridentine Mass wearing berets et al, and I don’t think anyone cared, but then again, this is casual southern Cal. Speaking of distractions, I can only imagine how distracting some of the female attire must be for men. Last Sunday, I saw a teen going for Communion in what was probably one of the shortest skirts I’ve run across…quite an eyeful. I kept thinking, “Don’t bow, don’t bow!”

40.png
krazykatlady:
You can wear a simple chapel cap. I usually wear slacks to weekday Mass and a chapel cap goes just fine with slacks or a casual skirt. Try
www.halo-works.com
Thank you so much for posting this site–I just ordered two veils there today! They have very lovely selections, too. God bless!

This isn’t meant to devalue our Catholic tradition of respect, but I find it funny that Jewish men cover their heads in the presence of the sacred, but Christian men uncover their heads in order to show the exact same respect. It seems, though, that women have always covered their head in reverence. I guess it’s related to other questions, but does anyone have any idea when the male inversion occurred?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back