Headcovering Catholics- Anyone Covering?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheSeeker2014
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheSeeker2014

Guest
I understand that the Catholic Church was silent on the Matter of Head covering from 1 Cor 11 in the 1983 Code (see)and many say it is because it is a cultural reference. Or modesty of that day. However Paul does not give the reasons for women to Headcover with cultural reasons or modesty reasons but rather Cosmic reasons.
Creation Order
Angels
Natural Order
Church Practice (See 11:16)
On top of all of this, according to this article, The Jews reacted to the Christian Headcovering topic from Paul by requiring their Men to cover because they were being mistaken for Christians.
-The Encyclopedia of Jewish Symbols said that the custom arose “largely as a reaction to the Christian practice of praying bareheaded.”
Actually Christianity is the only religion with the Headcovering of Women while praying or prophetizing and Men with uncovered heads while doing these.
Headcovering is still widely practice in the East.

Some Christians see this scripture as talking about Long hair being the covering however if you look at this scripture in Greek, you will see the hair covering and the head covering are two greek words. Long Hair may be a Natural Covering yes, but Paul is refering to an additional covering of the HEAD, He compares not having a head covering to having your hair shaved saying each is just as shameful.

**Despite if it is cultural or not, This thread is just asking if there are any Catholics who Headcover (ladies) or uncover (men), for those who do not practice what are your feelings on Christian Headcovering- I encourage you to read about the topic of headcovering before answering? For those who do practice, what are your thoughts and feelings on it? When do you cover and what types of coverings do you tend to use?
And lastly, do you think Ladies head covering will help Ladies identify with Mary more? **(after reading about the reasons of Headcovering and considering Mary’s relationship to God and Christ)
When Saint Veronica saw Jesus carrying His cross, she took off her veil and gave it to Him to wipe His face. He handed the veil back to her, and it had an image of His face on it. In this way, Christ gave a special blessing to the practice of wearing a veil. Even Veronica’s name comes from this event. She is called vera icon because she had a true icon of Christ, her veil with His face on it. Nearly every Catholic Church has the stations of the Cross with this event at one of the stations.
The Virgin Mary wore a veil or headcovering because she understood this symbol of the different roles given to men and women. Those women who wear the veil are imitating the Virgin Mary in her humility and submissiveness. Nearly every Catholic Church has a stature or image of Mary wearing a veil.


at all times. I now perceive that it has been—and continues to be—essential for the pilgrim journey and salvation of my soul. The bottom line for me—and a growing number of my sisters—remains obedience. And with it comes a sense of being in our rightful place in God’s ordered universe, rejoicing with the angels. Now I gratefully say, “I am!” in the presence of the great I AM—at prayer and in church, surrounded by the angelic host, worshipping our Lord and King. To God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, be the glory, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen!

For those unfamilar with Christian Head covering:
headcoveringmovement.com/articles-series
biblicalresearchreports.com/headcovering-today.php

1 Cor 11:1-16 Scripture Online
 
I think this is thread #999,999 on this issue.

The conclusion is that if you want to cover, then cover, if you don’t want to cover, then don’t. If you are covering to appear more holy than those around you then you’ve already lost the battle.😛
 
I think this is thread #999,999 on this issue.

The conclusion is that if you want to cover, then cover, if you don’t want to cover, then don’t. If you are covering to appear more holy than those around you then you’ve already lost the battle.😛
👍

I do cover, as a personal devotion. We attend an OF parish and there are several other women who do as well, with various methods (hats, veils, scarves, etc.)

It seems pretty typical here that no men cover their heads in Mass. That used to be nearly universal in Western culture but seems to have relaxed in some places because it’s no longer common for men to wear hats anywhere (except maybe the golf course).
 
Despite if it is cultural or not, This thread is just asking if there are any Catholics who Headcover (ladies) or uncover (men),
I detect a certain ambiguity in your OP. You say, “This thread is just asking,” but are you sure that your only purpose is the spirit of inquiry? You are simply gathering information, and are requesting an (name removed by moderator)ut from the commenters here?

I ask this question because there are one or two places in your OP where your motive seems to be not that at all, but something else. You sometimes seem to be telling us what we ought to be doing.
 
I detect a certain ambiguity in your OP. You say, “This thread is just asking,” but are you sure that your only purpose is the spirit of inquiry? You are simply gathering information, and are requesting an (name removed by moderator)ut from the commenters here?

I ask this question because there are one or two places in your OP where your motive seems to be not that at all, but something else. You sometimes seem to be telling us what we ought to be doing.
Not at all, I was giving some back ground information. I am just sitting back and reading now. Alot of people do not really notice the Cosmic reasons.
 
Or at least I did not mean it to sound like I am telling people what to do…
 
. . . . many say it is because it is a cultural reference. Or modesty of that day. However Paul does not give the reasons for women to Headcover with cultural reasons or modesty reasons but rather Cosmic reasons.
Creation Order
Angels
Natural Order
Church Practice (See 11:16)
On top of all of this, according to this article, The Jews reacted to the Christian Headcovering topic from Paul by requiring their Men to cover because they were being mistaken for Christians.
-The Encyclopedia of Jewish Symbols said that the custom arose “largely as a reaction to the Christian practice of praying bareheaded.”
Actually Christianity is the only religion with the Headcovering of Women while praying or prophetizing and Men with uncovered heads while doing these.
Headcovering is still widely practice in the East.

Some Christians see this scripture as talking about Long hair being the covering however if you look at this scripture in Greek, you will see the hair covering and the head covering are two greek words. Long Hair may be a Natural Covering yes, but Paul is refering to an additional covering of the HEAD, He compares not having a head covering to having your hair shaved saying each is just as shameful.

**Despite if it is cultural or not, This thread is just asking if there are any Catholics who Headcover (ladies) or uncover (men), for those who do not practice what are your feelings on Christian Headcovering- I encourage you to read about the topic of headcovering before answering? For those who do practice, what are your thoughts and feelings on it? When do you cover and what types of coverings do you tend to use?
And lastly, do you think Ladies head covering will help Ladies identify with Mary more? **(after reading about the reasons of Headcovering and considering Mary’s relationship to God and Christ)
When Saint Veronica saw Jesus carrying His cross, she took off her veil and gave it to Him to wipe His face. He handed the veil back to her, and it had an image of His face on it. In this way, Christ gave a special blessing to the practice of wearing a veil. Even Veronica’s name comes from this event. She is called vera icon because she had a true icon of Christ, her veil with His face on it. Nearly every Catholic Church has the stations of the Cross with this event at one of the stations.
The Virgin Mary wore a veil or headcovering because she understood this symbol of the different roles given to men and women. Those women who wear the veil are imitating the Virgin Mary in her humility and submissiveness. Nearly every Catholic Church has a stature or image of Mary wearing a veil.


at all times. I now perceive that it has been—and continues to be—essential for the pilgrim journey and salvation of my soul. The bottom line for me—and a growing number of my sisters—remains obedience. And with it comes a sense of being in our rightful place in God’s ordered universe, rejoicing with the angels. Now I gratefully say, “I am!” in the presence of the great I AM—at prayer and in church, surrounded by the angelic host, worshipping our Lord and King. To God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, be the glory, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen!

For those unfamilar with Christian Head covering:
headcoveringmovement.com/articles-series
biblicalresearchreports.com/headcovering-today.php

1 Cor 11:1-16 Scripture Online
Interesting. Jesus Christ founded His Church. He gave it His Authority to interpret Scripture and said “Whoever hears you hears me, whoever rejects you rejects Me and The One who sent me”. What does that Church say about it?

Just for the record, many women I know prefer the Chapel Vail and I find it conducive to reverence in Church and am in favor of it. I bow to the Holy Wisdom of The Church that Jesus Christ founded.
 
My daughter and I cover and have for several years. We do it for Biblical reasons and to help me remember where I am. The actual veiling makes me pause and remember why I’m there.

I certainly don’t do it because I think I’m holier than anyone else. I have been accused of this, though. However, those who have accused me seem to have more of an issue with themselves rather than me, especially since I have never told any woman that she should veil.

We use lace. My daughter enjoys making her own veils and coming up with different shapes, designs, flower outlines, etc.

The interesting thing is that though I never mentioned veiling and was the only one doing it two years ago, now half the women in my parish veil.
 
What does that Church say about it?
.
[It was mandated in the 1917 Code of Canon Law. Canon 1262 states:
Code:
1. It is desirable that, consistent with ancient discipline, women be separated from men in church.

2. Men, in a church or outside a church, while they are assisting at sacred rites, shall be bare-headed, unless the approved mores of the people or peculiar circumstances of things determine otherwise; women, however, shall have a covered head and be modestly dressed, especially when they approach the table of the Lord.
This is something that fell gradually into disuse.

In the 1970s there was a judgment issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in a document titled Inter Insigniores that basically stated that since chapel veils were not a matter of faith, it was no longer mandatory for women to wear them. In paragraph 4 it states:
Code:
It must be noted that these ordinances, probably inspired by the customs of the period, concern scarcely more than disciplinary practices of minor importance, such as the obligation imposed upon women to wear a veil on their head (1 Cor. 11:2-16); such requirements no longer have a normative value.
n the 1983 Code of Canon Law—the one in effect today—the canon about head veils was not re-issued. Now, you might be thinking, “Well, just because they didn’t reissue it doesn’t mean that it’s not still in effect, right?” Wrong.

Canon 6 of the current code states that all subsequent laws that are not reissued in the new code are abrogated:
Code:
Can. 61. When this Code goes into effect, the following are abrogated:

1. the Code of Canon Law promulgated in 1917;

2. other universal or particular laws contrary to the prescriptions of this Code, unless particular laws are otherwise expressly provided for;

3. any universal or particular penal laws whatsoever issued by the Apostolic See, unless they are contained in this Code;

4. other universal disciplinary laws dealing with a matter which is regulated ex integro by this Code.
](http://www.catholic.com/blog/matt-fradd/what-happened-to-head-coverings-at-mass)

After so many years of many women forgetting or positively repudiating the veil, clerics, not wanting to be confrontational or upset radical feminists, pretended the issue didn’t exist. When the 1983 Code of Canon Law was produced, veiling was simply not mentioned (not abrogated, mind you, but simply not mentioned). However, Canons 20-21 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law make clear that later Canon Law abrogates earlier Canon Law only when this is made explicit and that, in cases of doubt, the revocation of earlier law is not to be presumed; quite the opposite:
Code:
Canon 20 A later law abrogates or derogates from an earlier law, if it expressly so states, or if it is directly contrary to that law, or if it integrally reorders the whole subject matter of the earlier law. A universal law, however, does not derogate from a particular or from a special law, unless the law expressly provides otherwise.

Canon 21 In doubt, the revocation of a previous law is not presumed; rather, later laws are to be related to earlier ones and, as far as possible, harmonized with them.
Canons 27 and 28 add to the argument:
Code:
Canon 27 Custom is the best interpreter of laws.

Canon 28 Without prejudice to the provisions of can. 5, a custom, whether contrary to or apart from the law, is revoked by a contrary custom or law. But unless the law makes express mention of them, it does not revoke centennial or immemorial customs, nor does a universal law revoke particular customs. 2
fisheaters.com/theveil.html

I’m not Catholic and I do not know much about Cannon Law stuff, but this is what I found.
 
To me it makes absolutely no difference, although I think the coverings are a nice tradition. My wife is Filipina, and many of our Filipina friends wear head coverings. These days it’s merely a matter of choice.
 
Seeker, why are you obsessing over this? As someone old enough to remember “having to cover”, I can tell you, that from my experience, it had lost all meaning for 99% of women. We also wore hats or KLEENEX, and no one wore mantillas until Jackie Kennedy made it a fashion statement.:eek:
 
Seeker, why are you obsessing over this? As someone old enough to remember “having to cover”, I can tell you, that from my experience, it had lost all meaning for 99% of women. We also wore hats or KLEENEX, and no one wore mantillas until Jackie Kennedy made it a fashion statement.:eek:
I’m not a fan of headcovering at all,
but I can tell you that we Hispanos in the American Southwest
wore headcoverings for about 4 centuries, (since we got here) and it had nothing to do with Jackie O.
 
When I was in the protestant church, I always wore a scarf. In the church and out of. It was just a habit (haha :rolleyes:) that I had.

The scarves were regular ones, not lace. I would wear it wrapped around my head and swung around my neck. I guess I would get looks (I never paid attention), it was just a part of me and who I was. I have been home-bound for many years from a chronic illness and pain. When I am able to drag myself into mass, I plan on covering my head. (when I can get out of the house I will cover my head, also).

I did notice…when my head was covered in church, I did feel bonded to God, more-so than without a scarf on. Even praying at home, I would cover my head. It made it feel like I was in my prayer-closet. I was the only one to wear a scarf and I didn’t feel any different than anyone else. I never made a deal over it, neither did anyone else. It was part of my dress. I don’t cover my head now when I pray at home.

If you feel like trying to cover your head, just a light, regular scarf would do. Try wearing it around your neck if you feel uncomfortable, then pull it over your head for short times. See if it makes any difference to how you feel about it. I don’t think there is one way or another that God demands of us. For me, I feel it right, for me. Anyone else, it is their choice and how they feel.
 
Seeker, why are you obsessing over this? As someone old enough to remember “having to cover”, I can tell you, that from my experience, it had lost all meaning for 99% of women. We also wore hats or KLEENEX, and no one wore mantillas until Jackie Kennedy made it a fashion statement.:eek:
I am from that era too and I agree with this.
 
I’m not a fan of headcovering at all,
but I can tell you that we Hispanos in the American Southwest
wore headcoverings for about 4 centuries, (since we got here) and it had nothing to do with Jackie O.
Agreed. I saw the veil into the 80s and it was from our cultural background not bc of one president’s wife.
 
My daughter and I cover and have for several years. We do it for Biblical reasons and to help me remember where I am. The actual veiling makes me pause and remember why I’m there.

I certainly don’t do it because I think I’m holier than anyone else. I have been accused of this, though. However, those who have accused me seem to have more of an issue with themselves rather than me, especially since I have never told any woman that she should veil.

We use lace. My daughter enjoys making her own veils and coming up with different shapes, designs, flower outlines, etc.

The interesting thing is that though I never mentioned veiling and was the only one doing it two years ago, now half the women in my parish veil./QUOTE

My experience is very similar I started to veil regularly 18 months ago (I very much regret not having done so before). It’s a personal conviction of mine and my husband and it’s not about feeling holier than anyone else, it is about showing my respect and submission as a woman to God.

I was one of three when I started but every week there are more of us in our congregation.

My daughter is only 7, she likes to follow me but it’s her choice although I hope that as a young woman she will want to cover.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top