Heavily Armed Far-Right Mob Floods Oregon Capitol

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toabb

SALEM, Or.—A group of about 300 demonstrators attempted to force their way into two separate entrances of the State Capitol on Monday, outraged lawmakers were holding a [special session] closed to the public.

The crowd was a loose collection of members of the Proud Boys and other far-right groups, many of them are armed with pistols and rifles. At one point during the demonstration, which began around 9 a.m., a woman tried to climb in a window on the west side of the government building. Oregon State Troopers, however, repelled her—before two more troopers showed up to insist that she get off the ledge.

Those troopers were quickly chased off by screaming protesters, many of them toting long black rifles.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Minutes later, the crowd moved to the building’s north entrance and attempted to push their way in. A dozen more troopers arrived at the door, declared it an unlawful assembly, and pushed the crowd back, using some kind of deterrent in a series of “pop” sounds, at which point the protesters swarmed back out again, their eyes watering and coughing.

Some 100 protesters soon entered the lobby anyway, and state troopers again attempted to compel them to leave. The Salem Police Department told The Daily Beast that the streets surrounding the Capitol building had been closed and residents were being asked to avoid the area if possible due to the ongoing protest.

“I’m here to support the constitutional rights of people and of Oregon business [owners.] These people are unemployed and their lives are being ruined by this situation and most importantly by a government that seems to have taken totalitarian views,” one protester who would identify himself only by his first name, Duane, told The Daily Beast.

Around 10 a.m., troopers from inside the building began to push protesters toward the north door. More than a dozen officers were also outside, fanning out protesters who tried to push back.

“You are traitors to the American people,” one demonstrator shouted at the troopers inside the building.

Protesters, however, quickly changed course. Three men with long guns moved to the west side of the building and encouraged everyone to open a door there. Once successfully opened, the protesters demanded to be let inside, but troopers forced everyone to remain outdoors.

more…

Heavily Armed Far-Right Mob Floods Oregon Capitol

stop the steal? stop in the insanity more like it…

stop the steal? stop in the insanity more like it…
I agree. But when you see crazed mobs rampage through Portland, and nobody does anything about, some might think they can get away with it. What will be interesting is how many here actually get charged with a crime.

And they are just as wrong.

I wonder if Trump will send in the troops for this one?

I agree 100%. It is wrong.

But Trump has no authority for sending troops as this is a state building.

I also don’t know why OR would have a closed session. Given the fractious times, it looks bad.

The FBI has offices in Salem. Shouldn’t he send in troops to protect those offices. You know, just in case?

IIRC, the Portland ICE facility was directly and repeatedly targeted. I don’t recall it ever being a “just in case.”

“You are traitors to the American people,” one demonstrator shouted at the troopers inside the building.
It has been interesting watching how quickly right wingers turn on cops after getting treated with kiddie gloves.

It has been interesting watching how quickly right wingers turn on cops after getting treated with kiddie gloves.
It seems, then, that failure to respond vigorously to lawlessness regardless of the political leanings ends up with increasingly bad behavior. Sounds like a problem with our fallen nature.

Naw, if cops took off the kiddie gloves and treated right wing protesters like they do leftist protesters there wouldn’t be a single pro-cop person left in this country.

Naw, if cops took off the kiddie gloves and treated right wing protesters like they do leftist protesters there wouldn’t be a single pro-cop person left in this country.
If the right wingers were setting fires, breaking windows and shooting commercial grade fireworks at the State captial building - I imagine that the police would be treating them like they did the left wingers … in fact they did use tear gas immediately minutes after they pushed their way into the capital - which is vastly quicker than they did the left wing far more violent protestors in PDX … there they let them get ever increasingly violent for hours before calling the protests an illegal activity … the arrests and use of fore came hours into the events and after darkness - very late in the evening …

Last edited:
The right wingers tend to be better armed. A scary situation.

To the police a guy with an AR-15 is more intimidating than a guy with a brick

How much time do you have with crowd control?

A guy with a rifle on his back is not as intimidating as a guy with a rock in his hand.

I’ve seen all kinds of articles with violence from the left. I see no real reason to post them, just check out the Post Millenial website. It would just be an endless back and forth.

Oh no! I hope the heavily armed far left people aren’t offended!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back