Hebrew greek words and apologetics

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daniel_Marsh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel_Marsh

Guest
what greek, latin, hebrew words one needs to know to defend their faith?

The word for virgin in Isaiah 7:14

can you think of any others?
 
In Col 1, the NWT translates “all other things” saying that Jesus is first created and was used to create all other things.

They take “firstborn” to mean that Jesus was created, the first child out of the womb. When in fact, the meaning of firstborn has to do with preeminence. The greek word translated “all things” means just that “all things”, according to Vine’s Dictionary of Expository Words there are seven greek words that could have been used for “all other”.

CHRIST IS PREEMINENT IN CREATION

Col 1:13 He (Father) has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son (Jesus) of His love,

Col 1:14 in whom we have redemption through His (Jesus) blood, the forgiveness of sins.

Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn (preeminent) over all creation.

Col 1:16 For by Him (Jesus) all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him (Jesus) and for Him (Jesus).

Col 1:17 And He (Jesus) is before all things, and in Him (Jesus) all things consist.

Col 1:18 And He (Jesus) is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn (preeminent) from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

truthandgrace.com/Firstborn.html
 
I’ll try to contribute. 🙂

I think the words “petra” or “petros” and “kepha” or “cephas” are useful to know. These relate to the stone, pebble, little rock, big rock arguments about Peter.

If you want, you can throw “lithos” in there, but it is secondary.
 
what’s that?
It is a word that appears in Psalm 110:1 ) ladonee = “to my master” or “to my lord.” Adonee is a word that is never applied toward God, only toward the profane (us).
See for example, Gen. 24:54, where the word is also used to denote a human master.
 
Proverbs 8:22 made, create vs possessed, it turns out this hebrew word means to aquire like in purchasing something that already exists. example, to aquire or purchase land.
 
Proverbs 8:22 made, create vs possessed, it turns out this hebrew word means to aquire like in purchasing something that already exists. example, to aquire or purchase land.
The word (qanah) also appears in Proverbs 4:7 where you are advised to “Get Wisdom”, that is, to acquire it. It shows up in many places for buying land. I don’t know enough Hebrew to be of much help, but it also appears here as creator:

Genesis 14:19 "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, the creator of heaven and earth;

It most certainly isn’t “bara”, which is the word for create in the creation account.
 
It is a word that appears in Psalm 110:1 ) ladonee = “to my master” or “to my lord.” Adonee is a word that is never applied toward God, only toward the profane (us).
See for example, Gen. 24:54, where the word is also used to denote a human master.
Assist me with my miniscule Hebrew, please. I can perfectly see that the pointing (the little vowel pronunciation marks) is different, but the letters are the same between the word Adonai and the word adonee. If there are no points there, how do you tell, other than long passed down recitation memory?

In Gen 18:3 where Abraham is talking to the three “men” he uses Adonai even though he has no idea that he isn’t talking to men. Why did Abraham use Adonai, then? I know the narrator knows that YHVH is there, but Abraham doesn’t.

For anyone following, you can see a use of adonee nearby, in verse 18:12 when Sarah calls Abraham her lord.
 
I would suggest learning the meanings/nuances of the following words:

Hebrew/Aramaic:

zakkar/zikkaron/askarah, dabar, shekinah, kepha/evna

Greek:

logos, katharos, phago, trogo, anamnesis, charis, ekklesia, presbuteros, hieros, episkopos, mysterion, petros, petra, kata holos, soma, sarx, hypostasis, prosopon, lithos

I’m sure there are more.
 
Hello Daniel,

I have found Christ’s use of the term eucharisteo in His Pharisee and the tax collector parable, quite enlightening.

Also, the term “Pharisee” means “The Separated”.

Who do we know today who eucharisteo that they are the separated few going to heaven as they exalt themselves over those they see as unsaved?

NAB LUK 18:9 The Pharisee and the tax collector.

He then addressed this parable to those who were convinced of their own righteousness and despised everyone else. “Two people went up to the temple area to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, ‘O God, I eucharisteo that I am not like the rest of humanity–greedy, dishonest, adulterous–or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.’ But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, ‘O God, be merciful to me a sinner.’ I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Eucharisteo; with the dative it always stands where there is implied a kindness done, a favor, a charis, a grace for an undeserved gift received where it appears as thanks for any good experience.Charis; from chairio, to rejoice, or chara, joy, favor, acceptance, a kindness granted or desired, a benefit, thanks, gratitude, grace. A favor done without expectation of return; absolute freeness of loving kindness of God to men finding its only motive in the bounty and freeheartedness of the Giver; unearned an unmerited favor.

Lexicon to the Old and New Testaments, by Spiros Zodhiates, TH.D AMG publishers.

​
 
thanks all, feel free to add any other words you think about that we should all know.

mono- in John 1:18 “unique son”
 
Steve, I’m not sure what your point is. I’m a bit confused! :confused:
 
Daniel,

It’s a case of none is okay, some is good, and more is better.

One thing that I run into with Evangelicals is Matthew 16:18, where Jesus tells Simon son of John, “You are Peter, and on this rock I will build My Church.” “Peter” is “Petros” in Greek, while “rock” is “petra.” Evangelicals regularly try to say that this means that Jesus did not mean that He was going to build His Church on Peter.

The answer to this objection is that Jesus was speaking Aramaic when He said this. In Aramaic, “Peter” is “kepha” and “rock” is “kepha.” The words differ in Greek because “petra” is a feminine noun and it is singularly inappropriate to give a man a woman’s name.
  • Liberian
 
all of them.

Well said 🙂 Otherwise, one ends up with a fragmented & needlessly incomplete understanding of the Bible & what flows from it. Which is like being satisfied with a heap of ruins when you could live in a palace.​

 
Steve, I’m not sure what your point is. I’m a bit confused! :confused:
Hello Lazerlike,

Many wrongly asume that the Pharisees felt their, chosen few to go to heaven, self-righteousness over those they see as unsaved was due to their works. Jesus, through the use of the word eucharisteo, points out that the Pharisees felt their self-righteous heaven bound position over unsaved hell goers was an undeserved, free gift, grace from God.

Jesus explains to us that those who exalt themselves as in possesion of eternal life, even through undeserved grace from God, are evil and these people will not be justified. Those who humble themselves before God and others will be justified.

**NAB LUK 18:9 The Pharisee and the tax collector.He then addressed this parable to those who were convinced of their own righteousness and despised everyone else. “Two people went up to the temple area to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, ‘O God, I eucharisteo that I am not like the rest of humanity–greedy, dishonest, adulterous–or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.’ But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, 'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.’ I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” Eucharisteo**with the dative it always stands where there is implied a kindness done, a favor, a charis, a grace for an undeserved gift received where it appears as thanks for any good experience.

Charis
; from chairio, to rejoice, or chara, joy, favor, acceptance, a kindness granted or desired, a benefit, thanks, gratitude, grace. A favor done without expectation of return; absolute freeness of loving kindness of God to men finding its only motive in the bounty and freeheartedness of the Giver; unearned an unmerited favor.
Lexicon to the Old and New Testaments, by Spiros Zodhiates, TH.D AMG publishers.
 
The word wine, I was recently told that Jesus only made grape juice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top