B
BeatGuy83
Guest
Hello All:
I’m having some very interesting conversations with a friend of mine who is a fallen-away Catholic. She now adheres to many of the teachings of the Hebrew Roots movement.
I’ve learned recently through our conversations that she believes the New Testament was originally written in Hebrew. She points to many Hebrew idioms that are used throughout the NT, as well as the use of individual Hebrew words in the NT, as proof. She claims that the NT we have received was translated into Greek, and many meanings were lost. She then uses this argument to basically claim that all of Christianity has been “Hellenized,” by which she means corrupted by Greek pagan ideas.
So, here is my question: is there any truth to her claim that the NT was originally written in Hebrew? If not, what evidence can I cite to prove this?
And a followup: She keeps saying the the Dead Sea Scrolls were written in Hebrew. My understanding is that they were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Do the Dead Sea Scrolls contain NT texts in Hebrew or Aramaic?
My thanks, forum users!
In Christ,
John
I’m having some very interesting conversations with a friend of mine who is a fallen-away Catholic. She now adheres to many of the teachings of the Hebrew Roots movement.
I’ve learned recently through our conversations that she believes the New Testament was originally written in Hebrew. She points to many Hebrew idioms that are used throughout the NT, as well as the use of individual Hebrew words in the NT, as proof. She claims that the NT we have received was translated into Greek, and many meanings were lost. She then uses this argument to basically claim that all of Christianity has been “Hellenized,” by which she means corrupted by Greek pagan ideas.
So, here is my question: is there any truth to her claim that the NT was originally written in Hebrew? If not, what evidence can I cite to prove this?
And a followup: She keeps saying the the Dead Sea Scrolls were written in Hebrew. My understanding is that they were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Do the Dead Sea Scrolls contain NT texts in Hebrew or Aramaic?
My thanks, forum users!
In Christ,
John