HELL (I've never heard it mentioned from the pulpit)

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WhiteDove

Say, does the Church even teach about Hell anymore or is it considered a forbidden topic? I ask this because, although I’ve heard many inspiring homilies, I’ve never, ever heard this subject spoken about.

I’m all for preaching the Gospel of Love, but if Hell is a real possibility, doesn’t the Church have a duty to warn us about our danger of ending up there?

I think it is considered verboten now. At least in the churches I’ve been too (Tridetine Masses excluded), it is Jesus Social Worker over Jesus the Redeemer and Sanctifier. Hell is very much a taboo now I think as is sin. It was eye-opening finding out things that are sins that I should have learned in parochial schools and Jesuit High Schools but didn’t learn in college until I began interacting with some very Orthodox people. Jesus loves me has completely overshadowed the call to repentance.

Apparently just another symptom of the “you’re okay, I’m okay” society. I would love to hear more catechesis from the pulpit, but I think allot of the people in the pews will be made to feel uncomfortable. That is why you seldom hear anything about morals from the pulpit. Unfortunately, because we don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings we may be letting them hurt their souls.

Hell is not a subject people like to hear about. Funny thing the absene or relevance of it colors heaven. As some one once said “what is truth?”

Well, I’ve taken care of dying patients who, to all appearances to me, appeared to be going to Hell. I can think of two unfortunate men in particular. It was almost like watching them get sucked into the underworld by demons. It’s very disturbing and frightening to watch. It still haunts me.

These days, death is antiseptic and removed from so many people. Perhaps people really are unaware of it’s reality. But, in my work as a nurse, I’ve encountered death in all it’s ugliness. The death of an apparently unrepentant soul is a frightening spectacle.

We are very fortunate at our parish to have a faithful priest who teaches the fullness of our faith, and YES, he has spoken about hell from the pulpit before, along with abortion, birth control, and many other “controversial” issues. As with seminaries that remain faithful and orthodox, those who teach and preach the truth have no problem finding those who are faithful.

Father Corapi is another great one to preach on hell. In fact, I just saw a program on EWTN of his, and he was saying that at a parish where he was invited to speak, the person responsible asked him directly not to teach anything about hell because “nobody wants to hear about that.”

Of course, in Father Corapi style, he began his presentation by saying “Today we are going start with Hell, so that we don’t **end ** there!”

You might want to consider encouraging your priest to speak of these “controversial” subjects as they are appropriate (to coincide with feast days, readings of the day, etc.).

WhiteDove

That is a very disturbing picture. It oozes with lonelyness and dispair. Very fitting…

There are in my opinion three reasons why hell is not mentioned by left wing priests from the pulpit (i say left wing because those are the ONLY ones who would not dare mention hell). First, no one cannot pass on what one does not possess, and well, many of these liberal (hence: non-Catholic) priests are not great examples of holiness: yes, we CAN judge that because priests are PUBLIC figures, and be role models for all. Secondly, the cheap lame excuse is: “I don’t want to scare people.” Thirdly, open disobedience to official Church teachings which are even dogmatic (all Catholics MUST believe in) such as Heaven, hell, purgatory, the reality of the devil/demons angels, and if a priest, Cardinal, theologian, Bishop, nun, lay person does NOT believe in the afformentioned, then simply put: they are then heretics, and I personally would lose respect for them to the point of TOTALLY brushing off (as a lay person) all those types say, or teach. These types who are AFRAID=cowards to teach VERITAS=truth have the same type of mentality of those priests who in the 1970’s were used to consecrating english muffins (i am very serious, not joking), or would conduct poka Masses, or a Pizza mass. Or, would invite their congregation to sing secular songs, dropping a word or two to fit their created Jesus the social worker worship. Some of those songs I hear on secular radio: rock songs from the 1960’s and 1970’s: mass in which the tambourine and guitar were the norm (probably still are, because their still are priest usually older than 50 who are still stuck in the 1970’s. Miracle they don’t have bell-bottom clergyman pants.:dancing: Poor guys.
Anyway, I believe the pulpit is to teach too. I knew a great priest who would tell me, "I don’t preach, i teach (from the pulpit). Lack of that in the most part produces what we see in many sectors today: Catholics who don’t KNOW the basics of their faith, including on the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Others will actually ask: “and what’s wrong with electric guitars in Mass” and so forth. The point is: some priests just don’t CARE. One Mons. I used to communicate all the time (an Archdiocesan Priest, and a Mons.) when I mentioned this actually told me it is not important to KNOW! Just to live God in our hearts(and the guy has two degrees in canon law from a pontifical university in Rome, but his age may explain it: late 60’s, which for a priest usually means, liberal, I don’t understand why, but usually is the case). That Mons. seems he needs to RETURN to formation.:yup: But, I guess there are people who just cannot stand up for some conviction. Some go with the fad, or with what is convenient or comfortable at the time. In the case of a priest/Mons. when he is (I am talking now in general) in a parish with a strict Pastor who is faithful: he (the assistant) ACTS accordingly. If the pastor is liberal he(liberal priests/Mons.) then changes the ACT and ACTS liberal too. Why? Well because it is convenient and comfortable: some will tell you: “I like to PLEASE everyone, I don’t like problems.” :mad:
I sincerely pray that God sends couragous priests and pastors to the vinyard, where they can be cocerned about ONE thing only: their salvation, and the salvation of souls. Great men as: Ignatius of Loyola, Dominic de Guzman, Francis of Assisi, Don Bosco, Philip Neri, Charles Borromeo, etc.:clapping:

40.png
WhiteDove:
Say, does the Church even teach about Hell anymore or is it considered a forbidden topic? I ask this because, although I’ve heard many inspiring homilies, I’ve never, ever heard this subject spoken about.

I’m all for preaching the Gospel of Love, but if Hell is a real possibility, doesn’t the Church have a duty to warn us about our danger of ending up there?
Saint Faustinas vision of Hell !!! divinemercysunday.com/vision.htm 😦

My pastor is NOT afraid to talk about Hell, sin or abortion. I am very proud to have him as my pastor! :clapping:

Another aspect to think about is with all the video games full of violence, that death is reduced to a non factorial event…yeah, ‘oh it can’t happen to us.’ What poor thinking!
You do not get an "extra life’ here on earth but one life afterwards: either Heaven or Hell! That is ALL no third choice or an all paid trip to the South Pacific.

Jesus constantly talked about Hell (Gehennia, Hades, the netherworld, etc). Denying to talk about Hell is denying ALL the words Christ ever spoke!

Go with God, not with Satan!
Edwin

Well said, misericordiae.

The devil’s best trick was to convince people he doesn’t exist, his next best one was to convince them there is no Hell.

I did in the last year I did hear a priest say that people do go to hell, then he apologized for saying it. Yes, by some unaccountable logic, our clergy seem to be afraid of what we think of them instead of the other way around. So in order to not offend us they feed us the thinnest sentimental gruel from the pulpit. We have an emasculinated priesthood (oh yes, in more ways than one) which cannot or will not teach hard moral truths.

40.png
Thomas:
Well said, misericordiae.

The devil’s best trick was to convince people he doesn’t exist, his next best one was to convince them there is no Hell.

I did in the last year I did hear a priest say that people do go to hell, then he apologized for saying it. Yes, by some unaccountable logic, our clergy seem to be afraid of what we think of them instead of the other way around. So in order to not offend us they feed us the thinnest sentimental gruel from the pulpit. We have an emasculinated priesthood (oh yes, in more ways than one) which cannot or will not teach hard moral truths.
I think the whole outcry over the Passion showed this problem. We don’t want to deal with the hard stuff. We want to enjoy our Easter Dinners and parties, without first looking at Good Friday. And if you make us look at Good Friday, we want a clean sanitized version.

That’s the fundamental problem with Liberal Christianity. Everything must be easy. They want Jesus Teacher, Jesus the Social Worker, but don’t dare give us Jesus Savior, Jesus Redeemer, Jesus Sanctifier. Hell is much the same way, if it is mentioned it is in hushed tones, cause we know no one believes in it anymore, and if it does exist, only Hitler and Stalin reside there.

The Vatican II clergy (right after the council, for next 10 years or so) came out, generally left of center theologically. The center of that was an “I am ok, you are ok” sentiment. Now we see that in the Church today as they are the senior pastors at most churches. They want to avoid the tough things and focus on the God as Love (important, yes, not as important as it has become I think). While she is not a Catholic, the Episcopalian Chaplain at my school said the Resurrection does not matter, only his teachings does. But, now, they don’t even teach that. The Suicide of Liberal Christianity.

Well, my pastor has mentioned Purgatory quite a few times, but avoids all mention of Hell. He talks about the Gospel of Love a lot, in a very eloquent way. He gives very good, thought provoking sermons. His speaking ability is probably his greatest gift.

He’s very solemn about the liturgy, but I suspect he is quite liberal theologically. He doesn’t encourage confession at all, but he gives good advise in the confessional. He is a medical ethics expert and is on the ethics board of a hospital. Anyways, I have never, ever heard him utter the word ‘Hell’.

I have never heard a sermon on hell. I have heard endless sermons about the social Gospel. I pray for a conversion of all our hearts, especially priests. I long for the day they will speak the Truth. karl Keating had a great e letter where he said we will know there are changes coming when some people get up and walk out during a sermon. Truth is a sword that divides. I pray that day comes soon.

I’ve walked out of a homily before.

It was after the priest called American soldiers, terrorists. I checked out at that point.

Bud Stewart:
but I think allot of the people in the pews will be made to feel uncomfortable.
I fear they will be a heck of alot more uncomfortable, if they find out the hard way!

We’re blessed to be in an orthodox parish where the topic of hell is not avoided. I have noticed that after a good, orthodox sermon, people spontaneously break out in applause. While I generally don’t approve of applause during Mass, I think it says something about the inherent hunger in people to be given solid food rather than I’m OK, You’re OK pablum.

40.png
WhiteDove:
, doesn’t the Church have a duty to warn us about our danger of ending up there?
I’d say the Church as a duty to do alot of things their not doing - I’m beginning to smell a rat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back