M
Merry
Guest
I am currently in the RCIA, and hope to be baptized etc. at the Easter vigil. Our RCIA leader told us last night that they are hoping to have our children baptized the Sunday after Easter. I am really pleased it will happen so quickly.
My concern is my oldest son. He is 5 years old and very curious. I talked to him briefly last week about him being baptized soon. He asked me why he needed to be baptized, and I couldn’t give him a good answer on the spot. I think I went with “to make you part of the Church family”. And he said he didn’t want to be baptized! He wasn’t angry or upset. He just said “Oh! I don’t want that!” and I said that was disappointing, or something, fairly non-committal and left it. It wasn’t a good time to get into an argument.
My husband has been supportive of my journey, but is not Catholic. He was baptized Lutheran, has been coming to Catholic mass with me since I started attending in the fall, but never before attended church in his life. He has told me that he will not allow our son to be baptized it the child says he does not want to be baptized. I believe it is important that I accept his wishes in this, if for no other reason than that it would be very difficult to force a 5 year old boy to be baptized! It would end up with a LOT of screaming at the front of the church in the middle of Mass!
Overall, my 5 year old son has been really enjoying everything that my religious journey has brought to his life. There is a Sunday school program at our church that he has been attending and that he LOVES. After many repetitions, he is now the one who says our prayer before meals! I have talked about God with him and it has helped him move past some of the normal 5 year old fears about leaving me someday by dying.
So, without bullying or scaring, how do I explain baptism to him? I admit, my own ability to explain it to myself is still pretty shaky! Help please! Oh… and of course, this is the child that hates water and still gets upset when I pour water on his hair to wash it. He really needs to want this so we can make it easy for him!
My concern is my oldest son. He is 5 years old and very curious. I talked to him briefly last week about him being baptized soon. He asked me why he needed to be baptized, and I couldn’t give him a good answer on the spot. I think I went with “to make you part of the Church family”. And he said he didn’t want to be baptized! He wasn’t angry or upset. He just said “Oh! I don’t want that!” and I said that was disappointing, or something, fairly non-committal and left it. It wasn’t a good time to get into an argument.
My husband has been supportive of my journey, but is not Catholic. He was baptized Lutheran, has been coming to Catholic mass with me since I started attending in the fall, but never before attended church in his life. He has told me that he will not allow our son to be baptized it the child says he does not want to be baptized. I believe it is important that I accept his wishes in this, if for no other reason than that it would be very difficult to force a 5 year old boy to be baptized! It would end up with a LOT of screaming at the front of the church in the middle of Mass!
Overall, my 5 year old son has been really enjoying everything that my religious journey has brought to his life. There is a Sunday school program at our church that he has been attending and that he LOVES. After many repetitions, he is now the one who says our prayer before meals! I have talked about God with him and it has helped him move past some of the normal 5 year old fears about leaving me someday by dying.
So, without bullying or scaring, how do I explain baptism to him? I admit, my own ability to explain it to myself is still pretty shaky! Help please! Oh… and of course, this is the child that hates water and still gets upset when I pour water on his hair to wash it. He really needs to want this so we can make it easy for him!