Help explain idolatry to me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AB_Juney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AB_Juney

Guest
I am becoming worried about what the sin of idolatry means. I know the obvious, involving pagan worship, but I see people talking about how money, friends, family, etc can become idolatry, and this worries me. At what point does love become idolatry? or enjoyments? Like, I know we’re not suppose to love someone or something more than God, but when I think about what it would be like to, say, cut ties with beloved people, or cut non-sinful things from my life, it’s painful to think about. And they’re things that I have no reason to think shouldn’t be in my life; my sisters, my parents, etc. For example, I love art, and I love to draw. It’s one of my favorite things to do, but to imagine my life without being able to make art is scary and painful; does that mean I’ve made art an idol? When can you tell?
 
It sounds like you might be suffering from what is classically referred to as “scrupulosity.” Yes, virtually anything can potentially become an “idol” of sorts - especially money and pleasure. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the world, enjoying your life. These things - whether material or intangible - become idols when they become the most important things in the world to us - in particular more important than God. The question to ask is “Does my enjoyment of or involvement with this particular thing damage my relationship with God?” Do I miss mass because of it? Do I omit prayer because of it? Do I begin to doubt the teachings of the Church because of it? Do I begin to commit sin because of it? We should love our family for example. That is a good thing. But let’s say a family member decides they are gay, and they decide to “marry” their same-sex partner. Do you forsake Church teaching that homosexuality is intrinsically disordered and attend the wedding? You might say that your family has become a sort of idol if you answer “yes” because your desire to please your family member is greater than your desire to please God. But normal family relationships do not contradict one’s relationship with God. In fact, Paul condemns those who “lack natural affection.” Or take your art, for example. If you have a talent for art, you have that talent because God gave it to you. Do not shun it because of fear - such as the servant who buried his talent in the ground - but use it for the glory of God; that is why He gave it to you.
 
In my understanding, I guess anything that gets in the way of your relationship with God is an idol. If your love for that thing or person or hobby prevents you from loving God, or putting God first, you’ve made that thing or person or hobby an idol. Kind of like Abraham and Isaac, I think.

Hope this helps!
 
The Catechism of the Catholic Church discusses idolatry in paragraphs 2112 - 2114, here.
 
Thank you all for your replies. yes, I am scrupulous. I am hopingto learn to over come it
 
I am becoming worried about what the sin of idolatry means. I know the obvious, involving pagan worship, but I see people talking about how money, friends, family, etc can become idolatry, and this worries me. At what point does love become idolatry? or enjoyments? Like, I know we’re not suppose to love someone or something more than God, but when I think about what it would be like to, say, cut ties with beloved people, or cut non-sinful things from my life, it’s painful to think about. And they’re things that I have no reason to think shouldn’t be in my life; my sisters, my parents, etc. For example, I love art, and I love to draw. It’s one of my favorite things to do, but to imagine my life without being able to make art is scary and painful; does that mean I’ve made art an idol? When can you tell?
On some level, every sinner is guilty of the sin of idoltry. We don’t love God as we are called to love. On some level, we barely know God. The things is, all these little goods in our life are good, but God reveals himself as the greatest thing. It is the thing that is so great that we “sell all we have” for it.

This does not mean that we should lead miserable lives on earth and suffer for hope of eternity with a God in Heaven. Rather, we must learn to love God and learn to love others because of our love for God. Thus obedience to the law becomes an act of love. When we love our spouse well, we’re not just loving them, but we’re offering that act of love to God and loving God.

Will we have to give everything up one day? Well, we’re going to die one day and we don’t take anything with us. Thus the way I see it, if we have not grown to love God and pursue God, when we die we have nothing. God is a stranger to us. If you can’t let go of all the things you’re attached to in this world, than imagine being eternally separated from them without God forever. That’s how I imagine Hell. But with God, if I’ve developed my relationship with Him, than while I have nothing else, my heart will be directed in love toward God and God will continue to pull me closer to Himself. The closer I am to Him, the happier I will be.

What’s interesting is that God often calls himself the bridegroom and the Church his bride. In love poetry, lovers are often speak of how they become each other’s idols (especially in Romeo and Juliet). I personally think that we do not have human soulmates, but our longing for a soulmate is really a longing for communion with God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top