Help: good parish in Louisville, KY?

  • Thread starter Thread starter UKcatholicGuy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UKcatholicGuy

Guest
Hello all,

I’m wondering if there are any good, orthodox parishes in Louisville, KY with an active parish life. I already know about St Martins and St Louis Bertrand, and I absolutely love both of them! But I’m wondering if anyone knows of any non-downtown orthodox parishes in Louisville.

Particularly a parish with a good priest. Or even if the parish is somewhat apathetic, does anyone have any recommendations for really good priests in Louisville, and what church they’re at?

My girlfriend is becoming Catholic and is looking for a good parish in Louisville, so I don;t want to recommend somewhere that isn;t orthodox and will ruin her new faith. Her mom doesn’t want her going to church downtown, which is why I’m looking for orthodox parishes that arent downtown.

She really wants to get connected with good Catholic girls her age (she’s 20 and will transfer to U of L next year from UK), are there any good college ministries at any parishes?

Thanks in advance and God bless you,
Daniel
 
Yes, I have visited both St. Martin’s with its perpetual adoration chapel and St. Louis. My cousins go to St. Athanasius but I cannot say really how orthodox it is. I only know they like it.

Ave Maria!
 
I would like to identify some solid parishes in Louisville as well for when we visit relatives there. So far we haven’t had any luck. From my experience I would avoid the following:

Our Lady of Mount Carmel - not too fond of orthoxody there!
Our Lady of Lourdes - horrible renovation of “worship space” recently!
 
I would recommend St. Bartholomew and St. Francis of Assisi on the basis of a program they hosted there called Is There More to Life? If they allow those, it’s worth a look. Until we got our new priest I would have recommended our parish, but I am getting really tired of the Sisters and Brothers terminology, the Lord IS with you at the end of Mass, “I will make you fishers of men AND WOMEN” in today’s Gospel… The list is getting longer and longer. Though it is possible that the program mentioned above comes to our parish. They have asked us to host it for Lent and beyond.

Unfortunately, I can list several I would avoid. Not too many that I am ecstatic about beyond St. Martin and St. Louis Bertrand.

Definitely stay out of St. Gabriel. The priest there lets a nun give a talk where there should be a homily. If already there, it can be good to stay and fight for orthodoxy, but if not… Best not to go in my opinion.
 
I just ran across this thread while searching for something else, and I thought I’d give my 2 cents, even though the thread is dead and no one probably cares anymore. . . .

First, St. Martin of Tours and St. Louis Bertrand are by far the best parishes in town. St. Joseph and Holy Name have a very solid priest (same priest for both parishes). He does a lot of work with Hispanics, and Holy Name is the one closest to the U of L campus, but I’m not certain of how active the “parish life” is.

St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. James, and St. Brigid are also good, but all of these mentioned are in or very near to downtown.

If you are looking for something farther out, I think your best bet is St. Bartholomew or St. Pius X. Both have very good, orthodox priests. Unfortunately, the farther you get away from downtown, the fewer good parishes you can find. (Not that every downtown church is good. I won’t name names, but probably the worst parish in town is downtown.)
 
When you say orthodox parish am I to assume you mean Traditional Latin Mass? I know of someone that actually holds TLM in Cincinnati, Louisville, AND Evansville, IN all in one day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top