Help! I have Jesus in my car!

  • Thread starter Thread starter foolishmortal
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

foolishmortal

Guest
A resident at our nursing home apparently wasn’t any good at taking in Christ (I forgot about her dry tongue) and the EEEM must have left. I picked the still-solid piece of the consecrated host that fell on her torso, near her neck, up with a paper towel and then wrapped it up with the rest of the sheet. I didn’t have a sacred place to put it, so I had to eventually put the little package in my pocket till lunch. I then, put it in a container between the seats (no…not the cup holder; a smaller one with a lid for paper things and other things you don’t want lost) for safekeeping. I wasn’t sure where I could run into a priest. Could I trust church ladies today to know what you do with a left behind (no Left Behind jokes, as I am very serious) Jesus? What can I do until I can approach a priest after a Mass before work tomorrow? It’ll be about freezing. Would it be making Jesus very cold to leave the car outside and I should bring the package with him in or would it prevent bacteria build-up on his body and so I should leave him out there bundled like he was at birth? I am honestly concerned! I don’t have the equipment for this situation.

Thank you!
 
I truly feel sorry for you as this must be a difficult situation to find yourself in. For what it’s worth I think (based on what you’ve said) you’ve done as much as you can at the moment. I do think that you need to take the Holy Eucharist to a priest as soon as possible. Our Lord should definitely be taken to a priest, not some member of the parish or what not. There is a proper way of handling the Holy Eucharist in this situation that must be performed by a priest (it invovles placing the Sacred Host in water and letting the Host gradually “dissolve”, I’m doing an awful job describing the process, but it is all very respectful).

As for whether or not to leave the Host in the car or take the Host into your home, were I in this situation I would take Christ into my home (though we of course are unworthy to receive Him under our roofs). This is more respectful than leaving Him in the car. Likewise it is safer. I wouldn’t worry about bacteria if you’re taking the Host immediately to a priest first thing in the morning.

Again, I’m very sorry that you have found yourself in this situation and that the Lord has been so abused (albeit unintentionally).
 
Put the Host in a container and dilute it with water. After the Host has dissolved, pour the water with diluted particles directly into the ground out of the path of foot traffic, for example, near a bush or tree or flower bed where it won’t get trampled upon. Make sure there are no particles left on the paper towel. The paper towel can be burned and the ashes put into the ground.
 
Also if you are dealing with the whole issue of the ground frozen as most of us in the US are - you can dissolve the Host as stated above and place this water into the soil of a potted plant (not an artificial one). This is how we handle these issues at the Nursing home and you will probably find that these plants seem to grow very well.
 
hmm, did it touch her tongue? I think if it does it is no longer Jesus, I know that sounds odd, but once inside someones mouth it loses it’s divine quality or else how else would it get out of our system?
 
hmm, did it touch her tongue? I think if it does it is no longer Jesus, I know that sounds odd, but once inside someones mouth it loses it’s divine quality or else how else would it get out of our system?
If it still has the appearance of a consecreated host, it is a consecrated host.

Regarding leaving a host “out in the cold”, so to speak…we need to keep a proper understanding of what we are talking about here. The emphasis needs to be on the reverence we give our Lord, rather than concern over whether or not the host “gets cold”. A consecrated host is our Lord, not in the flesh as he was when he was on earth, subject to heat, cold, dampness or dryness, but a Glorified Lord.

Wrap the host up safe inside a paper towel or piece of paper, and take it to your priest at your first opportunity. He will take care of it and council you how to best handle such a situation should it occur again.
 
hmm, did it touch her tongue? I think if it does it is no longer Jesus, I know that sounds odd, but once inside someones mouth it loses it’s divine quality or else how else would it get out of our system?
This is not true. As long as it retains the form and qualities of bread, it is still a consecrated Host. When it breaks down in our bodies – or dissolves in water, or whatever else – and is no longer bread, that’s when it “loses its divine quality.”
 
I hope you’re not leaving Jesus alone in the car while you figure out what to do. What if the car is stolen? Please keep Him with you.
 
Thanks! The thing is, if I take him inside, I’ll forget tomorrow and, as I’m living at home and I also have to share some closet space with hers, I’m afraid my mom will come up there and mess around with my stuff, as it’s never picked up enough for her.

As for the state of his body, I figure, if we believe he’s fully there, we probably should pretend he’s there in the state he was from human birth to human death. Unfortunately, he’s looking more like Lazarus, now. I’m not happy about it.

I need to buy a modest ciborum, like the EEEMs (I’m not trying to attack them, but I know there are ones out there not that bothered if Protestants or others receive Jesus, which is not something only traditionalists say “never” to, as it’s even in the front of missals, unless there’s some odd canon law loophole that doesn’t violate the Bible verse about eating and drinking of Christ undiscerningly) carry to the homes and have it blessed, so I have the equipment for that situation.

I wish there were no public communion services at nursing homes. There’s no boundaries anymore. Everyone feels entitled to each others’ services, yet you can’t go backstage at a concert without a ticket. Why do they get this concept at rock or rap concerts, but not at church services or some contests, where everyone wins something so as not to feel left out? There’s certain sacrifices one must make being a member or to get certain permissions that others don’t make. Maybe the pope needs to write about that. Receiving Jesus in Holy Communion is not a parting gift for showing up.
 
I wish there were no public communion services at nursing homes. There’s no boundaries anymore. Everyone feels entitled to each others’ services, yet you can’t go backstage at a concert without a ticket. Why do they get this concept at rock or rap concerts, but not at church services or some contests, where everyone wins something so as not to feel left out? There’s certain sacrifices one must make being a member or to get certain permissions that others don’t make. Maybe the pope needs to write about that. Receiving Jesus in Holy Communion is not a parting gift for showing up.
  1. The very reason that reservation of the Blessed Sacrament exists in the first place is so that it can be taken to the sick who are unable to come to Mass. We don’t need to reverse nearly two millennia of tradition to create some “boundaries.”
  2. Why would you find it problematic that the Church goes out of her way to help bring the grace of the Eucharist to the sick and infirm? The Eucharist isn’t your reward for suffering through a boring church service and jumping through various hoops; it’s the method of our communion with Christ. What additional barriers would you like the Pope to erect, exactly, between the Eucharist and old people confined to nursing homes?
  3. You do not need a pyx (which is what you meant instead of ‘ciborium’). In the future, just say a prayer and eat it. Catholics have eaten Hosts retrieved from vomit before; you’ll be fine.
  4. Jesus will not get cold because he is sitting in your car. If he did, imagine the pain he’d experience as he was broken down by the hydrochloric acid in your stomach.
 
Would it be making Jesus very cold to leave the car outside and I should bring the package with him in or would it prevent bacteria build-up on his body and so I should leave him out there bundled like he was at birth? I am honestly concerned! I don’t have the equipment for this situation.
I hope you’re not leaving Jesus alone in the car while you figure out what to do. What if the car is stolen? Please keep Him with you.
Oh brother! :rolleyes:
 
Just as an aside - why was this not covered in your EMHC training or are you not an EMHC? If you are not an EMHC you should not be distributing Holy Communion. If you are an EMHC and are responsible for distributing in a nursing home than either a) you need to ask that your parish’s policy for situations like this be covered in your training so that you and everyone else will know how to handle what is a very common situation and b) you need to embrace the mission of the EMHC as this was what the EMHC was created for not a nice thing for lay people to do at mass.
 
Just as an aside - why was this not covered in your EMHC training or are you not an EMHC? If you are not an EMHC you should not be distributing Holy Communion. If you are an EMHC and are responsible for distributing in a nursing home than either a) you need to ask that your parish’s policy for situations like this be covered in your training so that you and everyone else will know how to handle what is a very common situation and b) you need to embrace the mission of the EMHC as this was what the EMHC was created for not a nice thing for lay people to do at mass.
She clearly stated what happened in her original post.
 
She clearly stated what happened in her original post.
My apologies I missed it - now I understand the problem a little more clearly and why there is so much confusion. I think sometimes once we get passed the first few posts the thread goes from the crux of the problem, what to do with the Eucharist, and then goes off on to other subjects - nursing home ministry. This can easily lead to confusion. :o

Your best bet is to take care of the Eucharist in the prescribed manner as the posters have let you know to do so that Christ is handled with reverence but at your earliest opportunity you should let your pastor know what occurred so that it can be brought to the attention of whomever runs your nursing ministry so that the situation can be corrected in the future.
 
It was in a resident’s mouth first. I’m sorry, but I’ll find other avenues for taking care of him after that.
I have not been trained as a Eucharistic minister. I actually only receive Jesus from a priest, unless I didn’t see, correctly, who the line was going to, because his hands are consecrated. Since nursing homes are plenteous in big cities, I think it would be most appropriate for lay ministers to wear a glove (cloth or medical) to administer Jesus, so the last hands touched were the priest’s (I’m not talking about Communion on the hand or tongue here, but whether we dress up nice for Mass or we hold hands at The Our Father, certain gestures do carry a meaning, and on the tongue, and better while kneeling, is a human act of humility, which can affect one’s demeanor if one cares).

Anyway, I was allowed to put Jesus in the sink meant for fallen hosts. I didn’t want the church lady doing it (I wanted to put him in the right place ASAP after getting your responses) and the reason why was illustrated as she actually poked him as the water was pouring over him. What? Is there an oath not to give it to non-Catholics because, if they’re not going to mind doing that, maybe they really are not even minimally discerning who they’re receiving, because Protestants don’t believe in the Real Presence that is the consecrated host and, even if they did, they wouldn’t understand all our children or converting adults will know before they can receive. Just because I’m scrupulous, I actually got my faith questioned by a 78 year old Catholic woman who talked like Jesus is an entitled handout for any Christian! I think this ecumenical stuff has gotten too far. Recent popes can write all this pretty kumbayah stuff, wishfully thinking it will make us all better Catholics and presuming we all care, but it seems most ones will just do what they want, despite what even the Pope says, in dread fear of offending our separated brethren. We’re ashamed of our faith these days; they’re not (and I respect them for that) and they’ll be just fine if we don’t have them in every single Catholic gathering, as I’ll be fine if I’m not invited to something of theirs, like the Mormon Temple. We need to regather, as some of us have reached out to non-Catholics so far, we’ve lost our footing and fallen off the ledge.
We can’t respect other faiths if we don’t respect our differences (ours being in the church that guards all truth God has given mankind about what He knows) and we can’t respect the differences if we don’t respect what we have, as unpopular as they may be–all that’s unpopular.
If eucharistic ministers can’t appreciate that, they’re more injurious to Christ and themselves as one receiving him in mortal sin, as they’re giving him to the undiscerning.

[edited]
 
Anyway, I was allowed to put Jesus in the sink meant for fallen hosts. I didn’t want the church lady doing it (I wanted to put him in the right place ASAP after getting your responses) and the reason why was illustrated as she actually poked him as the water was pouring over him.
The Host should have been dissoved in water before pouring down in the sacrarium (special sink that drains directly into the ground not the sewer system).
 
I have not been trained as a Eucharistic minister. I actually only receive Jesus from a priest, unless I didn’t see, correctly, who the line was going to, because his hands are consecrated. Since nursing homes are plenteous in big cities, I think it would be most appropriate for lay ministers to wear a glove (cloth or medical) to administer Jesus, so the last hands touched were the priest’s (I’m not talking about Communion on the hand or tongue here, but whether we dress up nice for Mass or we hold hands at The Our Father, certain gestures do carry a meaning, and on the tongue, and better while kneeling, is a human act of humility, which can affect one’s demeanor if one cares).

Anyway, I was allowed to put Jesus in the sink meant for fallen hosts. I didn’t want the church lady doing it (I wanted to put him in the right place ASAP after getting your responses) and the reason why was illustrated as she actually poked him as the water was pouring over him. What? Is there an oath not to give it to non-Catholics because, if they’re not going to mind doing that, maybe they really are not even minimally discerning who they’re receiving, because Protestants don’t believe in the Real Presence that is the consecrated host and, even if they did, they wouldn’t understand all our children or converting adults will know before they can receive. Just because I’m scrupulous, I actually got my faith questioned by a 78 year old Catholic woman who talked like Jesus is an entitled handout for any Christian! I think this ecumenical stuff has gotten too far. Recent popes can write all this pretty kumbayah stuff, wishfully thinking it will make us all better Catholics and presuming we all care, but it seems most ones will just do what they want, despite what even the Pope says, in dread fear of offending our separated brethren. We’re ashamed of our faith these days; they’re not (and I respect them for that) and they’ll be just fine if we don’t have them in every single Catholic gathering, as I’ll be fine if I’m not invited to something of theirs, like the Mormon Temple. We need to regather, as some of us have reached out to non-Catholics so far, we’ve lost our footing and fallen off the ledge.
We can’t respect other faiths if we don’t respect our differences (ours being in the church that guards all truth God has given mankind about what He knows) and we can’t respect the differences if we don’t respect what we have, as unpopular as they may be–all that’s unpopular.
If eucharistic ministers can’t appreciate that, they’re more injurious to Christ and themselves as one receiving him in mortal sin, as they’re giving him to the undiscerning.

[edited]
Your desire to receive the Body of Christ from priests only is based on a misunderstanding of the priestly ordination ritual. Priests hands are anointed as a sign of their faculties to consecrate the Eucharist, not to give them faculties to distribute the Eucharist. After all, deacons are ordinary ministers of communion (both the Body and the Blood) and their hands are not anointed. You are not receiving “more Jesus” or “better Jesus” when receiving from a priest than from a deacon or from a layman.

It sounds like “the church lady” (the church secretary, I’m guessing) tried to manually assist the dissolving of the host in the sacrarium. Please don’t assume her actions were based on a lack of belief in the real presence; it sounds to me that she was just misguided or uninstructed in the the process of properly disposing of a consecrated host. Dissolving in water and then pouring the water into the sacrarium rather than putting the host in the sacrarium sink and running the faucet would have been better.

[edited]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top