L
Lion_of_Narnia
Guest
On another online forum I’ve been involved in a discussion about the Real Presense, in that it is one of the best scripturaly-supported “Catholic” doctrines as well as the unanimous support of the ECFs whenever the topic comes up.
However this sub-forum, dedicated to the topic that LDS-Mormonism “is of Jesus Christ” has a resident apologist who seems to take refuge in linguistic gymnastics that I’m pretty sure are not supported by any actual koine greek lexicons or greek linguists. Mainly his arguments hinge on these points:
Thank you all in advance.
However this sub-forum, dedicated to the topic that LDS-Mormonism “is of Jesus Christ” has a resident apologist who seems to take refuge in linguistic gymnastics that I’m pretty sure are not supported by any actual koine greek lexicons or greek linguists. Mainly his arguments hinge on these points:
- The koine “estin” (Matt. 26:26; Mark 14:22, Luke 22:19, 1 Cor 11;24) actually means “meaneth” (aka “symbolizes”, “represents”, or “stands for”). This is AFTER I had pointed out estin usualy means “IS REALLY” unless there is some clear indication it is not literal, just like the English “is”. The LDS apologist then went into some verbiage about “aorist” tense and inflections, which I do not have the background to counter.
- The LDS apologist also claimed that the Latin ECFs didnt undertand koine very well (I know, especialy ludicrous when he applied it to Justin Martyr!).
Thank you all in advance.