HELP! Need advice on child's baptism

• Thread starter Thread starter potterygirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

potterygirl

okay…I am joining the Catholic Church and begin my RCIA classes in two months. Now, my husband is protestant (as I was) and we were both Baptised (at the age of around 11?) in the church under the Trinity by our pastors.

We have a little boy who is four and has not been baptised. We are all going to be attending the Catholic Church this fall and my son Catholic School here in 8 weeks or so.

NOW the question is…what are we to do about his (my son’s) baptismal??? This is bothering me greatly as I have been told many things. He would be scared to death to be baptised in the church (he is soooo shy) right now. I was terrified and nervous as an 11 year old. I didn’t completely understand the church anyway but knew who Jesus was and God. The basics really.

So what am I to expect as far as time frame for him? Will they only baptise him if one of us joins the church. My husband is not going to enter the church for now. He was a protestant youth minister at one time and is starting to see the Catholic light but I am not going to push him, but let him see for himself through patience. He is willing to let our son go to Catholic church and become a member and part, which is awesome bc I hear there are often times problems in “mixed-faith” backgrounds. But I think he will join in the future so I am not worried.

Now how about our marriage, will it be accepted as well. We were married in a church by an Episcopalian Priest (I think?)…

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer if you are able!

My little sister was four when she was baptized. I think there are a few hoops to be jumped through but if your husband is willing to promise to raise him Catholic I believe the church is happy to do it. I think the child’s consent is necessary once the age of reason (6 or 7) becomes an issue, before then you are answering the questions for them and promising to raise them in the faith. It can be private I believe, it doesn’t have to be a public spectacle so he doesn’t have to worry about crowds and stuff. I’m sure there are people here who will correct me if I am wrong about any of this, as it was twenty years ago now. Either way, it’s an amazing thing for you and your family, and while the worry will seem overwhelming at times, you’ll make it 😃 . I asked “but what happens if something terrible happens between now and then” when I was going through RCIA, and I think it’s something that we all wonder, but God knows your heart and He knows your intention for your son. The process might seem burdensome while you are going through it, but they want you to be able to answer with a fully informed yes to all of the questions on behalf of your son. God Bless you and your family on your journeys!!

Amy, Congratulations and welcome to the Catholic Church.

I may not be the best one to answer your question, but will give it a try. I would first recommend discussing these issues with your parish priest. He will definatley be there for you.

You said you are in RCIA. Once you become a Catholic, then you can and should baptize your son. I know you said that he is shy and would most likely be afraid - but remember what we are talking about. Baptism is birth into Life in Christ. It is God’s will that we baptised into one Body.

Baprtism gives us grace, and forgives us from original sin and all personal sins. In baptism, we become adoptive children of God, a member of the body of Christ and a temple of the Holy Spirit.

I think it is so special that you and your son would join the Church together. This will definatley be a special year for you both!

Pray on this, talk to your priest and God will show you the way.

God Bless and again - Congratulations.

40.png
Maggie:
My little sister was four when she was baptized. I think there are a few hoops to be jumped through but if your husband is willing to promise to raise him Catholic I believe the church is happy to do it. I think the child’s consent is necessary once the age of reason (6 or 7) becomes an issue, before then you are answering the questions for them and promising to raise them in the faith. It can be private I believe, it doesn’t have to be a public spectacle so he doesn’t have to worry about crowds and stuff. I’m sure there are people here who will correct me if I am wrong about any of this, as it was twenty years ago now. Either way, it’s an amazing thing for you and your family, and while the worry will seem overwhelming at times, you’ll make it 😃 . I asked “but what happens if something terrible happens between now and then” when I was going through RCIA, and I think it’s something that we all wonder, but God knows your heart and He knows your intention for your son. The process might seem burdensome while you are going through it, but they want you to be able to answer with a fully informed yes to all of the questions on behalf of your son. God Bless you and your family on your journeys!!
Code:
   Sounds OK to me. Age of reason is usually 7 or 
   in 2nd grade. A private baptism might be easier
   for your son, although public during Mass captures
   the meaning of Baptism better.

40.png
potterygirl:
okay…I am joining the Catholic Church and begin my RCIA classes in two months. Now, my husband is protestant (as I was) and we were both Baptised (at the age of around 11?) in the church under the Trinity by our pastors.

We have a little boy who is four and has not been baptised. We are all going to be attending the Catholic Church this fall and my son Catholic School here in 8 weeks or so.

NOW the question is…what are we to do about his (my son’s) baptismal??? This is bothering me greatly as I have been told many things. He would be scared to death to be baptised in the church (he is soooo shy) right now. I was terrified and nervous as an 11 year old. I didn’t completely understand the church anyway but knew who Jesus was and God. The basics really.

So what am I to expect as far as time frame for him? Will they only baptise him if one of us joins the church. My husband is not going to enter the church for now. He was a protestant youth minister at one time and is starting to see the Catholic light but I am not going to push him, but let him see for himself through patience. He is willing to let our son go to Catholic church and become a member and part, which is awesome bc I hear there are often times problems in “mixed-faith” backgrounds. But I think he will join in the future so I am not worried.

Now how about our marriage, will it be accepted as well. We were married in a church by an Episcopalian Priest (I think?)…

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer if you are able!
Code:
   Both your baptisms sound valid. You need to talk to
   your Catholic priest about baptizing your son, i'm not
   sure if you have to be Catholic for him to be baptized
   or just be in RCIA may be enough. Perhaps he could
   be baptized during a school Mass or in a private
   ceremony.

Your husband sounds like he's Catholic in heart already;
   is he familiar with the Coming Home Network, they help
   Protestant ministers to come into the Church, go to:

[chnetwork.org/](http://www.chnetwork.org/)

If this is your 1st marriage for both of you - no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back