Help! Need exegesis on tricky 'prince of this world' verses

  • Thread starter Thread starter Litcrit
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Litcrit

Guest
Let me preface this by saying that I fully believe in the Council of Nicaea’s conclusion that God is the only Creator and Lord of Heaven and Earth and that what I need here are sources offering proof that this is what the Church teaches and has always taught.

How are those sticky verses indicating Satan is the ruler of this world (Jn 12:31; 14:31; 16:11), the god of this world (2 Cor 4:4) and has the power to offer it to those who will obey him (Mt 4:8-9) explained? I’ve asked priests and theologians, I’ve scoured the library at my local Theological faculty, I’ve googled, I don’t know what else to do.

I need this for my doctoral dissertation, which is in English Literature, not theology, but I really need to establish that the Catholic church and most orthodox/mainstream Christian churches in the medieval and early modern world did not teach that this world was ruled by Satan! This was what heretics taught.

While any sources would be appreciated, I’d find printed, historical, ‘scholarly’, authoritative sources (stuff I can quote) of use most of all.

Thank you in advance.
 
Yes truly God was the creator of all things and these were very good - the whole of this very good creation fell,with Adam at The Fall, into no longer very good and Satan became the Prince of this world.This satanic world will be utterly and totally destroyed[see 2Peter 3:10] and a new very good creation restoredsee 2Peter 3:13} - twinc
 
that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world; and he was cast unto the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him" (Apocalypse, xii, 7-9).

Evidently, Satan is cast upon the Earth, but through his seductions he has the power to offer the world he has seduced, this is evident through the Temptation of Christ in Matthew, Mark and Luke’s Gospels.

Christ in the Gospels calls Satan “The Prince of This World”. He does this as his enemies are coming to take him, looking beyond these men - these instruments of Satan to the master who manipulates and moves them; he says “I will not now speak many things to you, for the prince of this world cometh, and in me he hath not anything” (John, xiv, 30). For as Satan has seduced the world and the hearts of Evil men, he has become it’s prince.

However, teachings, such as those of the Cathars - that Satan created the world are false and unbiblical.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top