Help on finding a Parish in San Diego

• Thread starter Thread starter Pyrosapien
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pyrosapien

I have a friend who is being transferred to San Deigo with his wife and kids. He is wanting recommendations on finding a good, faithful Parish which celebrates the Mass with fidelity. Any help would be appreciated.

You came to the right place, Catholic answers is in San Diego. You might post this on the Ask and Apoloist forum and see where thy go…

Your friend should try St. John the Evangelist Church on Polk Ave.

Depending on where in the county your friend is living, he might also try Holy Cross in the south county if he wants to go to the diocese’s indult Tridentine; or, if he’s in north county, he might also try Prince of Peace Benedictine Abbey in Oceanside. (Holy Cross and Prince of Peace aren’t parishes, but they have reverent liturgies.) Karl’s suggestion, St. John the Evangelist, a parish, is in the city of San Diego itself.

I like Our Lady of the Rosary in Downtown’s Little Italy section. Not only are the priests not afraid to talk about tough issues, but if my eyes should ever wander at mass, there is a great big painting of the final judgement in the back that gets my mind back on track :eek:

40.png
Jim:
but if my eyes should ever wander at mass, there is a great big painting of the final judgement in the back that gets my mind back on track :eek:
And a gorgeous fresco of the crucifixion in the front. 🙂

I like going to Our Mother of Confidence. It’s about a fifteen minute drive from downtown SD. Inside is a beautiful bronze sculpture behind the altar of the Shroud of Turin.

40.png
JeremiahSands:
I like going to Our Mother of Confidence. It’s about a fifteen minute drive from downtown SD. Inside is a beautiful bronze sculpture behind the altar of the Shroud of Turin.
Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. The sculpture is large, even gigantic, but I would not call it beautiful. Garish, maybe.

Our Mother of Confidence is within walking distance of my home, but I don’t attend Mass there because of persistent liturgical abuses.

One example: as many as 15 Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion to accommodate about 200 communicants. (No, the priest does not have a physical disability.)

Also, at the end of one Mass each weekend the EMHCs who carry the Sacrament to the sick are given their pyxes by the pastor. He asks the congregation to pray over the EMHCs. The people extend their right arms, and it makes the assembly look like a rally for Mussolini.

There are other problems with the parish, such as the homilies and the architecture (Early Barn). My recommendation is to go elsewhere.

40.png
Tarcisius:
Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. The sculpture is large, even gigantic, but I would not call it beautiful. Garish, maybe.

Our Mother of Confidence is within walking distance of my home, but I don’t attend Mass there because of persistent liturgical abuses.

One example: as many as 15 Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion to accommodate about 200 communicants. (No, the priest does not have a physical disability.)

Also, at the end of one Mass each weekend the EMHCs who carry the Sacrament to the sick are given their pyxes by the pastor. He asks the congregation to pray over the EMHCs. The people extend their right arms, and it makes the assembly look like a rally for Mussolini.

There are other problems with the parish, such as the homilies and the architecture (Early Barn). My recommendation is to go elsewhere.
Oh well, to each his own I guess. On that note, you probably wouldn’t like the other church I attend in the next neighborhood - UCSD’s Catholic Community!

When I visit family, I attend St. Sophia in the Casa de Oro neighborhood of Spring Valley, an eastern suburb of San Diego. While I don’t know much about the regular operations of the church, and therefore can’t vouch for its fidelity, I would like to suggest that St. Sophia may just have the biggest crucifix in California behind their altar.

When I last attended with my newborn, a friendly deacon saw me sitting in the pew with my baby and offered to show me where the cry room was. Strangely it was located off the sanctuary, but never mind, because when I sat down in the pews in the cry room I looked out and saw God’s knees. The crucifix in the church was so large that from my perspective I could only see His knees to feet. I hadn’t even noticed it when I first came in because it was so large. While the rest of the church may suffer from some sixties and seventies architectural indignities, I have to say that I like that crucifix. Also, the people in the cry room actually participated in the Mass rather than talking through it. That could also have been because they were practically close enough to touch the priest with the cry room being only two feet from the presider’s chair, but who can say? 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back