Help Returning To The Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marcus_T
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marcus_T

Guest
My mother passed away about two weeks ago and one of the things she asked me to do after she died was to talk with my brother about returning to the Church. My brother has not been to Church in over 20 years. Although he says he believes in God but on the other hand he also thinks it is not necessary to attend Church or receive the Sacraments in order to be saved and go to Heaven. He told me that he is convinced in his heart that he will make it to Heaven. Although he lives a good and decent life, I am not convinced and just like my mother, I too, am worried about the salvation of his soul.

Before I talk with my brother, can anyone provide any good and strong arguments I can use to convince my brother that it is in his best interest to return to the Church and become a better Catholic.

May God bless you!

Mark
 
The first thing that comes to me is that our Lord Jesus Christ said “take and eat”, and we do this in a community at Mass.
 
I like the phrase “you are what you worship”. If we aren’t going to Mass (to worship God and follow Christ), then what/how do you worship? How can we call ourselves children of God, ready to enter the narrow gate when we deem ourselves worthy by our own standards?
 
And I meant to tell you I’m sorry you lost your Mother, may Christ’s peace be with you and your brother.
 
Just remember, it’s the Holy Spirit that changes hearts and minds. If you want to effect a change in your brother, you first need to go to God. Frequent prayer, asking the saints for help, and other spiritual tasks will go much further than any argument you make.
 
God desires to know us each of us in a very real and personal way. Encountering the living God in the Mass thru the Eucharist is one of those ways. It changed my life. Rather, God changed my life. But, God does not force His love - He is constantly seeking us and revealing Himself in ways that He knows “may” capture our attention, but we have to be willing. God is not a one way street - and our relationship with Him requires our participation. God asks us to participate not be mere spectators. Here are a couple of very good links that maybe you could forward to your brother and maybe it will help lead him home:

True Magnificence of the Mass video clip:
olgcparish.net/education/true_magnificence.html

Father Barron on “Leaving the Church”:

youtube.com/watch?v=MXql0zuRqCY

Catholics Come Home:

catholicscomehome.org/

…and, pray for your brothers conversion. God will do all the heavy lifting.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.
 
Thank you for your suggestions. I forgot to point out that myself and my mother, when she was alive, constantly prayed for my brother to come back to the Church. When he said attending Church was not all that important and necessary, I said to him, “then why did Jesus go to all the trouble of establishing His Church on earth”. He just shook his head and really didn’t have an answer for that. As he has told me a few times, that as long as he believes in God, his salvation is assured. I told me that he is taking a very big assumption and that is why I was looking for some very strong arguments for returning, something that he couldn’t brush off or dispute. However, I still will pray for him and put my trust in God that he will eventually come around.

Mark
 
James 2:24 Man is not saved by faith alone. Believing alone will not save a person.

Romans 11:17-24 God cuts off branches, but can graft them back in. No ‘once saved always saved’ here.

Also, nowhere in scripture does it say we are saved by faith alone. Nor in the catechism.
 
I like the phrase “you are what you worship”. If we aren’t going to Mass (to worship God and follow Christ), then what/how do you worship? How can we call ourselves children of God, ready to enter the narrow gate when we deem ourselves worthy by our own standards?
Why have I never heard that phrase before! I love it, and thoroughly plan on using it, when it is appropriate. Thank you!
 
Since he does not seem very religious, and more “spiritual”, I don’t think Bible verses would help, since the Bible is only valuable to one who finds value in it (ie. believes in what it teaches). This is why slinging Bible verses at atheists doesn’t do anything to help your cause, unless they are explicitly trying to point out an apparent “contradiction”.

Instead, you need to come at him with reason.

He says he has his ideas about God, who he is, what he wants, and how he saves. My first question to him would be “What basis do you have for your beliefs?”. This is because even believe needs reason. Any belief isn’t “out of thin air”, it has a reason. And do not accept the answer “It’s just what I believe”, because that just implies that there is no basis or evidence for believing what he believes other than personal laziness. If you are to believe something, there is always a reason why you believe it, such as trusting the word of someone else, or experiential evidence. So, I would try to get him to point out the reasons for his beliefs and show that belief based on emotions or personal “feelings” does not equate to truth, because sometimes personal feelings can cloud the truth, such as a parent that doesn’t/won’t want to accept that his/her son had murdered someone. That would be my step one.

Step two would be to, by reason, work through God’s attributes and why they must be so. You may take aid from C.S. Lewis’s Mere Christianity if you like. This is all to allow him to better understand who God is.

My step three would be to show how God personally interacts with the world and his creation.

Step four, show how God would have interacted with the first humans and how they fell from grace. This is where you may be able to start to use the Bible as a bit of history, even if you do not use it as strict history.

Step five, is to use the Bible to show God’s interaction with the Jews in the OT.

Step six, introduce the NT with Jesus and how his role is necessary and makes sense theologically/philosophically.

Then keep working your way closer to the Truth.

This is, of course, only going to work if he listens to you, or wants to listen (ie. he is curious to learn). You want to do this in charity and patience. Take your time. Don’t necessarily confront him about it, but work it into normal conversations to where he is likely to be more relaxed. If the conversation starts getting heated, stop for a while.

That’s my 2 cents.
 
Mark,
Code:
Its commendable that you are putting an effort forth to help your brother and trying to fulfill the wishes of your mother.   No Christian isn't affected by seeing a loved one fall away from The Faith.  I know this hurt too first hand.
I’ve learned that God is the one who calls. “Happy are we who are called to His supper”. That means, its personal. God called and they responded. It doesn’t say, “Happy are we who were brought to this supper by others”. I know that might sound really cruel and controversial, and I mean to say too that I understand people mean well, but GOD is the one who calls. You can’t make someone love anything and even if you brought forth a highly wonderful intellectual argument- and if anything, his return would still just be at an intellectual level and won’t last long. You can pray for them though. It is mentioned in Scripture that prayer and fasting is required.

That being said, I don’t think there is anything wrong with presenting information to a person about The Faith because…

Romans 10:17

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
 
James 2:24 Man is not saved by faith alone. Believing alone will not save a person.

Romans 11:17-24 God cuts off branches, but can graft them back in. No ‘once saved always saved’ here.

Also, nowhere in scripture does it say we are saved by faith alone. Nor in the catechism.
BiffRuffle,

I mean no disrespect, and I"m not trying to pick any fights here either, but is there a place in Scripture that says we must go to Mass every Sunday? It seems to me it just says to assemble often. A person can love God but not know where to assemble with others.

The saved by faith alone is refuted only in the book of James were it says that if we have faith we will also do, that is, take action, meaning we will be serving God.

Is it possible people outside of the church can do this? Do they have to go to Mass to serve God- is it impossible then? What about the teaching in Church that states that one can make a spiritual communion… IF someone outside of Church is of right spirit (Holy Spirit) and wants to serve God and do His will and they ask for this, why would God deny them? Why else did Pope Benedict call them 'separated brethren" if they aren’t doing what God wants in some form or fashion? Are they brethren or not?

:confused:🤷
 
My mother passed away about two weeks ago and one of the things she asked me to do after she died was to talk with my brother about returning to the Church. My brother has not been to Church in over 20 years. Although he says he believes in God but on the other hand he also thinks it is not necessary to attend Church or receive the Sacraments in order to be saved and go to Heaven. He told me that he is convinced in his heart that he will make it to Heaven. Although he lives a good and decent life, I am not convinced and just like my mother, I too, am worried about the salvation of his soul.

Before I talk with my brother, can anyone provide any good and strong arguments I can use to convince my brother that it is in his best interest to return to the Church and become a better Catholic.

May God bless you!

Mark
He’s deliberately missed mass for 20 years? Check out Heb 10 on this post forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=11098219&postcount=51
 
Remind him of Jesus’ famous words:
I am merely a good teacher of morals. Believe what you will, for all roads lead to heaven.
Jesus said that right?
 
Can you provide a few more details? Specifically, I would like to know if your brother believes the Scriptures are the inerrant word of God? Does he read the Bible or go to another church? Or is he one of those people who says he’s spiritual, not religious? Does he have any regard for historical evidence outside of Scripture- say, archeological evidence or writings of the early Church Fathers or the Didache? Knowing the answers to these questions will help me to figure out what to recommend. For example, if he believes in the Bible you have a lot going for you— you just need to help him see the proper interpretation. But if he doesn’t believe in the Bible then you have some hurdles ahead of you.

Prayer works miracles, I’ve seen it many times. So keep up the prayers for your brother!
 
I mean no disrespect, and I"m not trying to pick any fights here either, but is there a place in Scripture that says we must go to Mass every Sunday? It seems to me it just says to assemble often. A person can love God but not know where to assemble with others. :confused:🤷
It is found in the 10 commandments which says we are to honor and keep Holy the Sabbath. But above and beyond that, even if it were not in scripture, the Catholic Church does not ascribe to the idea that everything MUST be found in scripture in order for it to be true (the Holy Trinity, the Immaculate Conception of Mary, and even a list of cannoncial books are not found in the Bible.) Instead we rely on a combination of Scripture, the Church and Sacred Tradition. The Church teaches us about obligatory Sunday Mass attendance in the catechism:vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm

CCC 2180 The precept of the Church specifies the law of the Lord more precisely: "On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass."117 “The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the preceding day.”
 
Can you provide a few more details? Specifically, I would like to know if your brother believes the Scriptures are the inerrant word of God? Does he read the Bible or go to another church? Or is he one of those people who says he’s spiritual, not religious? Does he have any regard for historical evidence outside of Scripture- say, archeological evidence or writings of the early Church Fathers or the Didache? Knowing the answers to these questions will help me to figure out what to recommend. For example, if he believes in the Bible you have a lot going for you— you just need to help him see the proper interpretation. But if he doesn’t believe in the Bible then you have some hurdles ahead of you.
To be honest, I have no idea if he believes the Scriptures are the inerrant word of God and I’m not even sure if he is spiritual. Since he is very adamant about not going to Church and works hard at avoiding Church, a couple of years ago I asked him point-blank if he believed in God and his answer was, “I absolutely believe in God, I just don’t think Church is necessary to be saved” And that is the very basis of why my mother asked me that after she died to try and convince him to return because deep in her heart she was so afraid he will loose his salvation. Although my mother did try and get him to change his mind several times over the last several years but my brother just tuned her out because he didn’t want to be “preached” to and that is where I am because I don’t want to sound like I’m preaching as well and I’m afraid if I force the issue that will turn him off forever. As far as the Bible goes, I don’t think he even owns one let alone has read it.

Mark
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top