Help with a moral dilemma

  • Thread starter Thread starter dogman28
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dogman28

Guest
I’m in a personal dilemma and haven’t yet had the opportunity to talk to a priest about this. When I entered the military I lied on a few of the questions about prior drug use and previous medical issues (telling “partial truths” but not the entire story) to help get in. It was a lie, though at the time I rationalized it as “fudging” some of the truth. Now that I’m out, I want to use my GI bill benefits to go to college and get a degree in a career field in which I can just be honest and not feel pressured to lie about anything in my past. Would it be wrong of me to use my military benefits to “make a new start” and get a better college education, or must I choose to not use such benefits as an act of reparation or contrition? I fear that not getting this degree would result in me being stuck in poverty because of my past stupidity, but I don’t want to steep myself in any more dishonesty. Any good insights would be helpful!
 
I’m in a personal dilemma and haven’t yet had the opportunity to talk to a priest about this. When I entered the military I lied on a few of the questions about prior drug use and previous medical issues (telling “partial truths” but not the entire story) to help get in. It was a lie, though at the time I rationalized it as “fudging” some of the truth. Now that I’m out, I want to use my GI bill benefits to go to college and get a degree in a career field in which I can just be honest and not feel pressured to lie about anything in my past. Would it be wrong of me to use my military benefits to “make a new start” and get a better college education, or must I choose to not use such benefits as an act of reparation or contrition? I fear that not getting this degree would result in me being stuck in poverty because of my past stupidity, but I don’t want to steep myself in any more dishonesty. Any good insights would be helpful!
Well, you lied your way in to get where you got. That was not enough for you though. You want more, and want to keep lying and ask others to endorse it so you can keep getting benefits by lying.
Christianity plays what role in your life?
 
Thanks for the reply, Strawberry. As for your question as to what role Christianity plays in my life, the answer is that when I joined the military (and for most of my time in), it didn’t play a role at all except for something I used to do when I was younger. Closer to the end of my time in the military, I began returning to the faith and trying to follow the Lord seriously, and now I’m moving toward becoming Catholic. So I’m still working through my understanding of moral issues and dilemmas. One thing I suppose that is confusing to me is that in the military there seemed to be very much a culture of indifference to whether or not anyone lied on enlistment paperwork, but (not withstanding hidden felony convictions), a general attitude of now that you’re here, put the past behind you and do what you’re supposed to do. I guess there’s the military on paper with its official written expectations, then there’s the military in real life and how the leaders enforce or don’t enforce certain aspects, and what they encourage. For things I mentioned, military leaders would prefer for a soldier to just put such an issue in the past and press on honorably, rather than worry about such things. “We don’t care what you did to get in, now that you’re in, you will do as you’re told.” Now that isn’t to say that widespread acceptance of the practice justifies it, but I guess that gives the reader insight into the background I’m coming from. I’m very much struggling with this, as my vision is very much clouded by self-interest, thus I want to get objective outside opinions on this to help me with clarity. Thanks again for replying.
 
Your GI Bill and other benefits were earned by your service, not granted by a medical form you dishonestly filled out.

I don’t personally have any problem with it. Confess the lie to a priest because it is a sin and talk to him about it, but as far as I am concerned, you earned that money.
 
Bill, thanks for your response. I would hope that my combat deployments and their accomplishments would outweigh the stupid things I did in the past, but I guess that’s just me using human judgement. 😃 I’m planning to confess to a priest, but this is bugging me so much i just want to hear from you guys for the time being.
 
Your GI Bill and other benefits were earned by your service, not granted by a medical form you dishonestly filled out.

I don’t personally have any problem with it. Confess the lie to a priest because it is a sin and talk to him about it, but as far as I am concerned, you earned that money.
I completely agree!

Consider it from another perspective…because your conscience bothers you, let’s suppose you contact the military authorities to disclose your dishonesty in the admissions forms. What do you think they’d say? They’d likely give you the run around because no one would want to hear it or deal with it, or they’d laugh at you and tell you not to bother them. I can’t imagine any other response. If you agree that this is the likely reaction, you can consider the issue of reparations null.

Anyway, discuss it with you priest and trust in his advice. If he does not suggest any reparations, you can confess this and receive absolution, and then consider the issue closed.
 
Anyway, discuss it with you priest and trust in his advice. If he does not suggest any reparations, you can confess this and receive absolution, and then consider the issue closed.
Sorry, I note you are not Catholic yet. Ignore the confession part…it is a sacrament for Catholics, not protestants. But a priest will still be able to advise.
 
Underacloud, that is exactly what would happen. Having a scrupulous conscience doesn’t help me make sound moral decisions in cases like these. I thank God for the institution of the priesthood and Sacrament of Reconciliation. You are correct that I’m not Catholic, but I’m decidedly moving to the Church, so I would readily take a priest’s advice as truth.
 
your gi bill and other benefits were earned by your service, not granted by a medical form you dishonestly filled out.

I don’t personally have any problem with it. Confess the lie to a priest because it is a sin and talk to him about it, but as far as i am concerned, you earned that money.
exactly!

your lie–was what you got into the military with…you can’t go back and undo your service.

Your GI-Bill was earned by your service–all the time and work spent in the military…your time and work was not a lie? Right? Then those benefits are earned!

But do talk with a priest…and if you are in RCIA…assuming you are already baptized…be sure to note this as one of the things to confess when you can officially go to confession.

And Welcome!
 
Well, you lied your way in to get where you got. That was not enough for you though. You want more, and want to keep lying and ask others to endorse it so you can keep getting benefits by lying.
Christianity plays what role in your life?
Wow - that was harsh… 😦 The OP is not intending to keep lying or asking others to endorse it - he is wondering whether he should voluntarily punish himself for a lie from several years ago.

Dogman, I agree with the others who said that the benefits are the rewards for your military service, not for filling in a form, and that you should use them.

If you become a Catholic then you should mention this in your first reconciliation, but, until then, don’t let it affect any decisions. It’s in the past - let it stay there.
 
Would it be wrong of me to use my military benefits to “make a new start” and get a better college education, or must I choose to not use such benefits as an act of reparation or contrition? I fear that not getting this degree would result in me being stuck in poverty because of my past stupidity, but I don’t want to steep myself in any more dishonesty.
Greetings Knight of Christ,
I see somesort of good value in you. I hope after you get a degree, you don’t forget about the one who is IN poverty. You have been spared by the situation, if I were you, I would make somesort of redemption for my mistake. If I were you, I would try to enter Knight of Columbus or other laity to appease the Father. For whoever appease the Father, is the follower of Christ.

Take your little brother/sister to a dinner while thinking about it. There you will have an opportunity to think while promoting a virtue, “family value”.
For things I mentioned, military leaders would prefer for a soldier to just put such an issue in the past and press on honorably, rather than worry about such things. “We don’t care what you did to get in, now that you’re in, you will do as you’re told.”
If I were you, I think I have been spared from quitting the military.
 
You earned your GI benefits so use them to better yourself…we all have some regrets we don’t talk about.
 
Your GI Bill and other benefits were earned by your service, not granted by a medical form you dishonestly filled out.

I don’t personally have any problem with it. Confess the lie to a priest because it is a sin and talk to him about it, but as far as I am concerned, you earned that money.
I completely agree!

Also welcome!
 
I spent 27 years in the military. I knew a number of people who weren’t 100% accurate on their enlistment documents. Some continued in the life style they were trying to conceal and were treated appropriately when their transgressions came to light. Others used the opportunity to straighten out their lives. If you served honorably, including one or more combat deployments, and received an Honorable Discharge, you are obviously in the latter category and are entitled to full benefits ~~~ USE THEM PROUDLY!!! Any sins of whatever variety are between you and God via your Confessor. Thank you for your service.

Golf Zulu, USMC, retired
 
Well, you lied your way in to get where you got. That was not enough for you though. You want more, and want to keep lying and ask others to endorse it so you can keep getting benefits by lying.
Christianity plays what role in your life?
why don’t you read the o.p before you post?
 
Bill, thanks for your response. I would hope that my combat deployments and their accomplishments would outweigh the stupid things I did in the past, but I guess that’s just me using human judgement. 😃 I’m planning to confess to a priest, but this is bugging me so much i just want to hear from you guys for the time being.
I agree with Bill, you know better now, and you did give your service. God bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top