C
codefro
Guest
I need advice on a conversation I am having with a friend of mine who is a former Seventh-Day Adventist, now Agnostic. I initially was telling him how the Catholic Church indeed had married. He was slightly put-off to know that. He feels that it is unfair to Latin-Rite priest to allow Eastern Catholic and Anglican Ordinariate married men to be priests and be married. He believed it should all be uniform. I initially explained the history of the history church’s discipline on this, but then had to explain how disciplines are different than doctrine or dogmas. Disciplines can be changed. I used to example of pre-1960’s Catholic abstaining from meat every Friday, whereas now it is only during Lent. He asked if if would be a sin for those pre-1960’s Catholics to knowingly eat meat on Fridays if it is a discipline and it can be changed. I said yes it would, because of the authority of the Bishops. Even though it is a discipline, the mandate of the bishops and the Popes must be adhered to by a Catholic. Once again, he didn’t like that because he struggles with the idea of a religion being man made (which to some extent, each one is in some way or another).
I think deep down, he is trying to figure out God. He is very skeptical of all religion due to his bad experience with it. He questions all of it, but compares it to what he was brought up with. Any advice on what I could say?
I think deep down, he is trying to figure out God. He is very skeptical of all religion due to his bad experience with it. He questions all of it, but compares it to what he was brought up with. Any advice on what I could say?