the types of “good works” that most people think of when they use the term, are in front of us every single day. We don’t have to seek them out. One would have to be blind not to see the opportunities.
But I was not describing sins of omission as opportunities that we can perceive, but works that we would be
expected to perform. Jesus preached parables about feeding the hungry and attending a wounded traveler - acts which we would be
expected to perform. These are not works that would be expected by Christians in particular, but by anybody. In some legal jurisdictions (including in the United States), failure to perform some of these works could be persecuted as criminally negligent behavior. THESE are the types of “good works” that Jesus preached about.
I get appeals in the mail every day from charities, most of which I have never heard of. Some of them are surely scams. I am not
expected to give money to ANY of them (even the ones I know of). Not EVER. I do give to some, but not to most. But I am not
expected, as a condition of my salvation, to give a dime to ANY of them.
I tithe to my Parish, and my Parish gives a portion of its offerings to charitable organizations (which are screened by the Parish or the Diocese). I’ve been a Catholic for more than 20 years, and I have never know for sure if I am
expected (as a precept of the Church) to give ANYTHING even to my own Parish. There are five precepts of the Church, but different sources enumerate and group them differently (kinda like the Ten Commandments, which actually encompass 13 directives). The Catechism does not seem to include this support as a
precept (which would make it binding as a rule, but not as a doctrine), but adds it as an additional expectation (but not a requirement).
We are encouraged to give of our Time, Talent, and Treasure. But I find nothing in Catholic doctrine that requires anyone to give any specific amount of any of this as a condition of salvation. Besides, how would such a requirement be measured? We can measure “treasure” by the Old-Testament standard of a “tithe” (which I cannot find required in Catholic Doctrine). But how do we measure time and talent?
And what I’m saying, one who ignores them is putting their soul in peril.
So, if I ignore EVERY appeal for money that I get in the mail, then my soul is in peril? If I answer ONE, am I OK? Or do I need to answer two? Or three? How many of these mailings to I need to send money to to be sure that my soul is not in peril? I get maybe ten or twelve appeals per week. If I “tithe” to these appeals, I would send money to one appeal every six or seven days. Is this sufficient to insure that my soul is not in peril? Does it matter which appeals I respond to? (after all, even if the appeal is a scam, my intent is motivated by charity, and it should not matter as far as my soul is concerned).