Help with friends considering leaving the Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter DonaNobisPacem
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DonaNobisPacem

Guest
We have some Catholic friends who are considering leaving the Church. (more of a ‘pastor’ problem than doctrinal, I think) Does anyone have a book recommendation? I would say they don’t understand what they would be leaving.

He was raised Catholic, and she is a convert of about 5-7 years…
 
I have a friend who just left our choir. She said she’s exploring the options. She’s been attending both Mass and a service at a non-denominational church, but they’re changing their service times, so she can’t do both anymore.

I don’t know of a book that would help, but I’m praying all over the place for her. My hope is she’ll realize that something BIG is missing in her life, and come back home soon. Deb
 
How about the CD by Jeff Cavins “I’m Not Being Fed”

or

any of the Suprised by Truth series (P Madrid) that have great stories of people who came or returned to the Church.

or

quote Peter…"… Lord, to whom should we go, you have the words of eternal life…"

Where could they find the Lord more than in the Eucharist which NO OTHER church can offer them.

Sadly, it is the serious lack of understanding of the Eucharist that results in so many not even knowing what they are leaving.
 
If it’s pastoral why don’t they find another Catholic church to attend? They must realize pastors/priests are human to and can’t please everyone and they may be chasing a dragon if it’s only that. I think most new church’s have the “bling” (if that is still a word). Too many new churchs in my community for instance have the big screen and fancy bands and coffee bars to draw people in because they are tired of the routine Catholic mass. People are not focusing on the meaning of the mass and are focusing on what can the pastor/priests say to make us feel good. If it’s a pastor problem then leaving the church makes no sense. It seems like many leave for doctrine reasons. You can’t hand them a book or DVD for a cure because this is not a doctrine issue. If it is doctrine then yes, I think a good book can help. I read “Catholicism and Fundamentalism” by Karl Keating and it made a world of differnce for me on doctrine, I don’t question doctrine anymore. I would ask them to pray and maybe pray with them. I will pray for them also.
 
Praying is the main thing we can do. I’m heartbroken my friend and her family are leaving but she’s not eliminating the possibility of coming back.
 
Hi Donna, does not your church have Friday Night Mass? If not, look for one nearby. Also, look for a group within a church that appeals to their age group. I recently read somewhere about a church putting in a laundry mat with juice bar to appeal to single mothers. You can bet the protestant church has “visitors” going to their home. Maybe, you should dig up some old friends to take with you to visit them. Some protestant churches go as far in “love bombing” to invite visitors to their church over for dinner. That may be a good idea. Is there any bowl games on this coming weekend? have a bowl party and invite those friends over. People tend to get involved where they “feel” most wanted.
 
We have some Catholic friends who are considering leaving the Church. (more of a ‘pastor’ problem than doctrinal, I think) Does anyone have a book recommendation? I would say they don’t understand what they would be leaving.

He was raised Catholic, and she is a convert of about 5-7 years…
I think Surprised By Truth (any of the three volumes) or Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn would make an excellent gift. It won’t cost you much…just consider it part of your gift to the Lord.

You might also suggest that they try other parishes in the area if there are several to choose from.

But reading good books is essential to growing in Faith.
 
Daniel what is a Friday night Mass I’ve never heard of it, or did you mean a Saturday night Mass?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top