Agree completely
Again, I understand what He meant. I don’t understand why it would be “tricky”. It would be tricky for me, even if there were no Protestants.
Put another way, why not make the passages crystal clear to everyone, or at least to everyone sincerely trying to follow our Lord?
Clarifiers:
- I am a fully committed Roman Catholic in full union with our Holy Father. I want to be clear on that.

- I understand the Bible (to the best of my ability). There are very few passages that I find “tricky”. I trust the Church’s explanation of these passages, completely. (Hey, maybe He made some of the passages tricky, so that we would realize that we truly do need a Church-the Church- to explain them???)
“…without Me, you are nothing…”
…don’t remember if this is an exact quote or if iit’s a close rendering… the important effect is that we must depend upon Yahweh God… things that seem quite simple my be very complex and things that seem complex may be very simple… also… the Holy Spirit is the One Person of God that has been Given to the Church to guide her (we, as part of the Mystical Body of Christ, are also guided by the Holy Spirit) into the complete Truth.
…read St. John 14, 15, 16 and compare with 1 Corinthians 2:1-16–it is the other Paraclete that will bestow upon us God’s Wisdom… but each occording to God’s Will and our individual response (humble adherence and obedience to Christ)… so while one person, from Scriptures, can see that God exists as a Triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit… another person, perhaps holding on to man’s wisdom, cannot.
…of course, I (being familiar with Scriptures) can quote many passages to you… only in as far as you truly are opened to the Holy Spirit’s Guidance would you be able to embrace anything that I, as a member of Christ’s Body, can share with you…
…as for your query… I am not a historian (nor any other type of scholar), what I understand (I think I heard it from Father Pacua from EWTN’s Live & Threshold of Faith) there existed Rabbinical schools that, as with the incidence with the early Church, taught a variation of thins according to the leader (Jesus touched on this very lighty); they would enjoy recognition, the best possitions in the various social events, and they were called fathers or call their followers their children… it was wall very much geared towards power and status… so Christ warns His Disciples not to emulate them because they wanted the adulation of man and desired to gain all sorts of temporal benefit while ruling the people with a severe and injust reign; Christ’s Disciples were to be different; they would not call anyone father, master, or guide and they would not rule as those outside the Church–the one who wanted to be greater amongst Christ’s followers needed to be the one to serve the rest/more…
Did the Apostle understand this? Quite! …but contrary to simple logic St. Paul brags about how he is the most insignificant of the Apostles (he persecuted the Church) and yet he serves them more than the rest… and while I cannot recall St. Peter talking about a son/child in the Faith, St. Paul (who got a crash course in Christ–by Christ) uses the term of son in the Faith when speaking about some of those he personally indoctrinated…
…so Jesus is crearly speaking in reference to matters of Faith where one disciple/follower seeks to rule others as underlins not as fellow brothers and sisters in the Faith… just to demonstrate an example: a little while ago our present Pope (Benedict XVI) had been scheduled to appear at a “Catholic” University/School in, of all places, Italy… there, some members of the staff and some student began a revolt and refused to allow the Pope to speak in “their” “Catholic” “higher education” “facility.” Did the Pope demand that he, as the head of the Catholic Church, be allowed to make his speech? Did the Pope demand that that “Catholic” entity be dismantled or did he declare that all true Catholics that allowed their children to matriculate in that “Catholic” entity be excommunicated?
…the Pope simply did not proceed with the proposed visit… interstingly enough, as big as the facilities in that “Catholic’s” higher educational place may have been it could not have been able to accommodate the thousands of people that came to St. Peter’s to hear the Pope’s speach!
True Disciples of Christ knew that our holy father, the servant of the servants of Christ, did not rule Christ’s Church in avarice and whim!
Maran atha!
Angel